Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

My DIY headboard -- bedroom makeover in progress (pics)

Pipdog
12 years ago

A couple months back I posted for some bedding help for the main bedroom. I just wasn't loving our bedroom - it seemed dark and oppressive and I wanted something lighter and more feminine. I sold the espresso sleigh bed and side tables on CL and set out to make my own upholstered headboard. I found a great inspiration and good tutorial online - it took 2 weekends to complete. Total cost was around $150 including fabric. It wasn't the easiest DIY project, but I think it turned out pretty good for someone who has no experience with upholstery before! :)

Here's the before:

and here's the after: (I still need some shams, new bedding and a rug)

little side tables I found which were painted BM White Dove (added new knobs):

I also replaced the black and white drapes and found some silk tapestry ones on sale. The room was also re-painted BM Nimbus. I'm happier with the lighter color - it doesn't look lighter in the photos but it's much lighter in person. It's a soft gray with no blue/green undertones. Thanks to Bee and others on GW for recommending it.

Comments (47)

• declansmom
    12 years ago

WOW, that is so beautiful! You did an amazing job!
    I didn't think the "before" was bad, though!
    Would you mind telling me where you got your paisley bedding in your "before" picture?

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Well, isn't that beautiful!!! AT first I thought your before was the money shot, then I saw the after! Woah!

Those are the same lamps in both pictures, right? They really are set off lovely in the 2nd picture.

• amykath
    12 years ago

AMAZING!!! You have incredible talent! I love it!!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

That looks beautiful! I especially love your choice of fabrics.

I've been wanting to do the same, and wanted one with some design interest, like yours. Would you share the link to your online tutorial?
    Dee

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks!! For anyone who is interested, the tutorial came from Design Sponge.

andreadeg, they are actually different lamps. the other ones were nice but they were too big for the petite side tables. I found smaller ones with a cream shade that fit the space a little better.

declansmom, the paisley bedding was from Peri.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Congratulations on a job very well done! Altho the 'before' is pretty nice also!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, dee - we must have posted at the same time! Here's the link to the tutorial. I love her bold red Otami fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: headboard DIY

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Fabulous!! You did a beautiful job!!
    I also love the paint color (mind sharing?) and your new drapes!
    It all looks wonderful:)

• texanjana
    12 years ago

Love what you have done!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Thanks! That's a great tutorial. I like hers better than her inspiration, but I still prefer the understated elegance of yours.:)
    Dee

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Wow! I have to check out that tutorial. I need to make a few of those for the new house. Congratulations on another gorgeous room!

Your room was nice before but now it is really smashing!

And how about that Nimbus? Isn't it pretty fab? So glad you used it. I love to see it in other rooms.

Now, off to see about making these headboards......

Bee

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Oops...I missed that he color is BM Nimbus...thanks Bee

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

That is excellent. I love the no-nonsense fabric paired with the ultra femme shape. Brava

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Beautiful headboard! Love the height of it and the fabric. Also love your drapery fabric.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, enjoy your lovely room!

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I would like to see a picture from the same angle as the "before". How does it all look together? Now we just see pieces, disjointed. I can't believe you didn't find a second bedroom for the classic sleigh bed!! I couldn't have parted with it myself. I could see the shape of the lamps had changed and wondered why especially because you went with the same clear style..it is difficult to get an impression of scale with your pictures. DH and I have made several upholstered head boards. Your silhouette no doubt added to the difficulty factor. I can attest a simple half-round or rectangle is pretty easy. Congratulations on your completed project. I am happy for you that after all that work you are pleased.

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

Pip, it looks great! Great job!

Beth

• User
    12 years ago

That headboard is outstanding! Wonderful workmanship!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Love it; would also like to see more pics! Congrats!

• Christie Santercangelo
    12 years ago

Beautiful job! I agree the 'before' was beautiful but the 'after'is spectacular. I love the paint color with those beautiful drapes! Great job on the headboard!

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I thought the before was beautiful, too, but you did an amazing job! Wow!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

That headboard is fabulous! You did a great job!!! I also love that fabric. What type bedding will you be using?

Thanks for the tutorial.

tina

• ttodd
    12 years ago

WOW! Tremendous, fabulous, fantastic job!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, all!

tinam61, I'm still not sure of bedding. I'm thinking of a simple duvet (cream?) with a grey throw since the fabric is geometric and the curtains have a pattern as well. I also need large shams - I'd love to pick up the colors in the curtains (turquoise, navy) for the pillow shams. The space needs a neutral gray 8x10 rug too.

bee, Nimbus is my new favorite gray! I think we're going to use it in another room. It's lovely.

arcy, i'll get more photos once I get bedding and post them. The sleigh bed was nice, but for a bedroom this size, it overpowered the space. The house is an early 50's ranch with modest-sized bedrooms. The unnecessary foot board made the room seem small. Once we took the bed out, the space felt much larger. As much as we would have liked to have kept it, we didn't have an extra bedroom that it could go in.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Wow-- add me to the list who thought the "before" was it, too, until I saw the 2nd picture!

Let's face it-- you just have good taste no matter what style you choose! Gorgeous!

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

What an elegant addition to your bedroom - great shape and fabric choice! You have such a beautiful home - I never tire of looking at your photos.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, all! here's a better photo of the headboard. Now I've got to select a rug. Can anyone weigh in on what sort of rug would look nice? I was thinking a gray or griege solid rug, since there is pattern in the headboard and curtains. I still need a new duvet cover, but that is lower on the list.
    {{!gwi}}

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

The lamps in front of the mirrors is such a great idea! I think I might steal that idea for my own when I redo my bedroom. The chandelier is also very pretty. The gold with the grey is lovely.

Nicely done!

• elle3
    12 years ago

Your room looks gorgeous! This will sound negative, but I just have to ask...I've always wanted a fabric headboard, but I worry about cleaning it. Do you just have to remove it periodically for a washing? Or can you treat the fabric?
    LOVE the look!

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Wow! The headboard and ENTIRE room look gorgeous!! So beautiful and serene! You are so talented! :)

• vintagewine
    12 years ago

You went in a new direction with this revamp and it definitely works. Good job.

• zkitch
    12 years ago

It looks amazing!!!! you are so talented I am just wandering how did you get such a perfect shape?

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, vintagewine, zkitch, elle and bellajourney and andreag.

elle, i vacuum the headboard just to get dust off. I'll probably spot clean if we get a stain. I had initially bought a white velvet-like fabric for the headboard but then changed my mind b/c I thought it might show stains more easily.

andreag, the chandelier is actually the original one that was in the house when we bought it. It was ORB, had beige shades that didn't match and too traditional for my tastes. I took off the shades and spray painted it glossy white.

zkitch, we drew out the shape by hand on MDF panels and then used a jigsaw. I used a garbage can lid to help with drawing the curves. But, it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect as there is a layer of foam, batting and then fabric over top of the MDF. Getting the shape right and cutting is pretty easy if you have a jigsaw - the hardest part of the project was getting the fabric not to bunch around the curves.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Pip, this is stunning! Can you tell me where you got the fabric for the headboard and the drapes? Love love love it ... All!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Very pretty! Lovely color scheme and you did such a good job pulling everything together.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Great job....what a difference in the mood of the room. Love how the curves in the headboard coordinate with the curves in the chandy.

You should be very proud!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! BlackChamois, the curtains are silk and from West Elm from last year. They were discontinued and I don't see them on their website anymore. The fabric is Waverly Cross Section, available on Fabric.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric

• SheetalN
    11 years ago

Your room looks amazing. I love it! You must enjoy spending time in there.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Hi again Pipdog! Do you happen to have a link to the headboard tutorial? I search Design Sponge but was unable to find it. Thanks so much!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

You did a fantastic job on the headboard and your room looks wonderful. I love the soft colors. It looks like a luxury suite now. Don't you just love waking up in the morning now?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! Did you repaint? It looks so much lighter and airier! Do you mind telling me what the paint color is?

• clubcracker
    11 years ago

Wow I really like both versions - you have a lot of talent! :)

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marti8 and sheetalN, we do love waking up in there. I need a 9x12 rug to ground the space, but it's so much more serene with the lighter color and softer headboard. Makes such a difference! Before the room was a bit too masculine for me.

BlackChamois, here's the link for the tutorial. As far as tutorials go, it was just ok. She left out the hardest part which was getting the fabric around the curves. We figured it out eventually, but it took some tries to get the fabric straight so it wouldn't bunch.

nosoccermom, the paint color is BM Nimbus. I think it's either at 75% or 80% -- i'll have to check the can. I love the color - it's a true gray with no undertones. I've repainted both of my bathrooms with it. Here it is at 100% in my daughter's bathroom (sorry for the big pic):

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutorial

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

pipdog I love your room, very calm and relaxing.

You said: She left out the hardest part which was getting the fabric around the curves

I wondered what your trick was? I'm thinking of doing a similar project and would love any helpful hints.

Thanks.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, annkathryn and vincent.

annkathryn, to avoid bunching I cut a small piece of the fabric around the curve so it wouldn't bunch. I hot glued a small piece of fabric over it so you can't see a hole in the fabric. You can't really see it from the front. Good luck with your project and pls post pics!

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

pipdog thanks for the tip! My headboard has a softer curve than yours so maybe the bunching issue will be less problematic. I'm going to try first using muslin because the fabric I really want to use is very expensive and I don't want to take the chance of messing it up without an initial trial project.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

That's really a beautiful transformation! It looks so much lighter and .. just beautiful!

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022