Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Picture placement

jane__ny
10 years ago

Please excuse the mess, having work done in the room.

Bought this house a year ago and would love to change everything, but not possible.

Had the contractor hang this picture over our bed. I want the picture, but am bothered about the placement. If I hang it lower to match the top of the windows, it will be too close to the headboard.

Part of the problem is we bought a new mattress which is very thick. You can barely see the headboard and I asked the contractor if he could make the headboard higher. He could only raise it 1/2 inch.

He centered the picture but I'm thinking it looks too high. Should it be even with the windows? He comes back on Monday so if I need it moved, I'll ask him to do it.

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (23)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think the problem with the picture is that it's too small for that space. I think you need either two of that size side-by-side, or one painting or photo or poster that is at least twice as big as that one.

I think that pic would do better on the wall to the right of the bed.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I agree with tibbrix. You need a horizontal piece to work with the space.

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

I agree with Tibbrix....itâÂÂs a lovely picture but too narrow for the space. It would look better on the side wall, and find something larger that will take up more area for above the headboard.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I agree, it's a bit small, but in any case there is no reason it has to be lined up with the tops of the windows.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I don't think it needs to line up with the top of the windows.....I would not lower it.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

The placement of the picture is perfect but you need some other "stuff" to make a composition in order to consume 2/3 to 3/4 the space the width of the headboard. Your bed looks about 60 inch wide and the picture about 18, perhaps. You need to cover 40-45 inches of space. In order to do that you can put sconces on the wall or you can buy some more pictures in much smaller size or some small mirrors to form a composition. If you could buy slender mirror panels that would work in the space, that would be great.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I think it's perfectly fine for right now as you know you need a new headboard. Once you get that (maybe something tall and upholstered?) then I would move the picture somewhere else.
    It doesn't look bad right now and I wouldn't raise it up either.
    Think about the grand plan, not how to clean up a puddle when the roof is leaking. I don't mean that snidely, only as an example.
    However, I am the sort of person who doesn't like to spend a dime to cover over something that needs gutting. I will hold out for the master project.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Well, I was unaware that the room was going to be revamped. It was my understanding you want to keep the picture. I guess I was not aware that you are going to completely renew everything as Bumblebeez has stated. I will keep my nose out of things.

Adios, Ladies. I once was a regular poster and kept up with things and since I have been away, things took place that I was not aware of and I feel like a buttinski.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up!

Actually the picture is 36" wide. The wall measures 100" exactly. I guess I'll just leave it for now.

I've been browsing this site and found a pic of linen panels on narrow windows which I liked the look. Haven't figured out how to handle those windows plus the sliding door on the wall next to the bed.

The room is a wreck because everything was moved out to allow the workers to work. I wanted to get advice on the pic before the men finished.

This is Florida, and houses have strange features. Whole new learning curve for me after selling our house in NY. I can see this will be a challenge.

Thanks again,
    Jane

• peony4
    10 years ago

Patricia43, you've been a member more than a decade. I understand that, over time, our interests and willingness to contribute change. But this was just a post about where to hang a picture. Don't let this be the straw that breaks the camel's back!

I, for one, thought your response about the 2/3 to 3/4 space filler was a good reminder. Thank you for sharing this.

I recall in the kitchens forum a poster remarking (jokingly) about being suicidal over granite choices. Decor takes us all to the brink and back...

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I will just read. I cannot keep up. Yes, I enjoy reading here and will enjoy it without making contributions that are nonsensical. So many turns and twists since I was here. Thank you for your patience.

• leenamark
    10 years ago

I think the picture is perfect but it too small and therefore need some other decorating stuff to fill the place. You can add some more small picture around the given one or can add some small mirrors. You can also place lamps over there to occupy atleast 40 inches of space.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Your response wasn't nonsensical Patricia! I would miss "seeing" you.

I also assumed that this room was at the decorating stage of the reno and was going to suggest adding to the arrangement or moving it to the other wall. The small piece of art is too high and too small for that area.

Anyway, Patricia was stating a good rule of thumb about the ratios for hanging art over an object. If you change it, you'll be wanting something that spans about 5.5 ft.

• User
    10 years ago

PLEASE have the headboard made taller. It and the nightstands are beautiful. I would hate to replace the headboard with a more commonplace one. A good finish carpenter can remake the legs of the headboard so it stands higher. Also, if you hang curtains at ceiling height, you have more room to play with for the picture. I agree, though, that the picture seems to need something to accompany it on each side. I would take care of the headboard and curtains first and see how everything looks.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are terrific! What a host of ideas. Patricia, you were right on. I don't intend to replace my furniture. Its contemporary from the 60's-70's, John Stuart which we bought through a decorator in NYC back in the early 70's. Its been through a lot but still has classic design.

The headboard is too short for the king bed. I had the carpenter try to raise it but he could only go up 1/2 inch. Javachick, It didn't occur to me to extend the legs. I will look into that as it would help balance that wall plus make it visible.

The funny part is that the master is a large bedroom suite. There is large, white travertine tile running throughout. My first thought was to tear it all up. It was newly laid before the house went up for sale. After we moved our furniture in there, it looked like 'old Hollywood.' The shiny white tile and the dark, rosewood, chrome bedroom. The top of the furniture is black lacquer. It was great in its day but it has gotten beaten up over the years.

It was suggested I follow that theme, but I'm not sure because those windows and the slider just don't work.

Patricia, the only revamping we are doing is paint, windows, master bath and doors. You were right on about putting something on the sides of the poster. I sort of like the idea of mirror panels which would fit the 'hollywood theme.'

I'll be back for more suggestions as the work proceeds. This forum is fantastic, I've never gotten so many great ideas on any other forum!

Thank you all very much,

Headboard

Chest. The original hinged pulls broke over the years and I was never able to find replacements. These are not the original pulls.

Dresser. Again, not the original pulls

Jane

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Beautiful furniture, Jane!

Probably too late, but did you opt for a low profile box spring? I got one that is about 6" high because I didn't want to have to vault into bed :) Regular is 9".

Another option is to just have the bed on a regular frame and mount the headboard higher. Not sure if that would work for your piece. Or, remove the box spring and use slats for the mattress.

I think you'll appreciate the travertine after living in FL for a while. I live across the Gulf from you, in TX, and tile has won me over. I just buy pretty rugs where I want a bit of texture or softness.

This post was edited by alex9179 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 12:10

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Patricia43, My name is Patricia also and your idea of two longish narrow mirrors on either side of the picture is right on with my thinking. The mirrors would reflect (or match) the shininess of the headboard/dresser/chest trim. Great thinking from two Patricia's. lol

• mreenrn
    10 years ago

I agree with the above poster who recommended a horizontal picture but the one you have is lovely.

It seems the headboard height is really the issue. We solved that problem by actually hanging the headboard on the wall with slide hooks. We never used the foot board that came with our bed and with the bedding it was impossible to see that the "feet" of the headboard weren't touching the floor. We used a metal bed frame with wheel locks for the foundation and mattress.

I think your bedroom furniture is super interesting and would love to see more of the headboard on the wall reflecting that warm Florida sun.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Really unique and gorgeous headboard.

• nic2011
    10 years ago

I dig your furniture no advice!!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like your headboard too, and the suggestion to hang it on the wall is a good one. mreen63, what kind of slide hooks did you use? I googled it but didn't find anything specific.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Marti -- frequently, you use a wood or metal French cleat system to hang something like a headboard. If you Google that term, you'll see that they can really support a lot of weight, if you pair the proper screws with the wall studs.

I hope Mreen comes back to share the "slide hook" details, tho!

• aputernut
    10 years ago

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the picture, or the fact that it is lower then the windows not everything must be lined up like soldiers, that is nonsense, however being a vertical pic. you may look for something nice to hang on either side of it, for balance, such as I have done in my guest suite, this is a Q bed.