Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
star7_gw

Rust orange or caramel secional????

star7
10 years ago

I posted a photo of our sunken family room which is open to our kitchen. It is a long narrow room, not quite 12 feet wide. We love the red sofa that is currently in there, but it's falling apart. We're buying a new sectional that is a little more streamlined but will take up almost as much space as the sofa and loveseat that are currently in there. We know this furniture takes up most of the room but we are okay with that because want ample space for TV watching. The issue is color. We love color and would go red again but the red offered is way too bright for us (cardinal red). So we're looking at a burnt reddish orange color or a caramel color. I posted a picture of each next to our light laminate floors, brick wall, and dark trim. I like the orange (in person it's not as red as it looks here), and I like having the big pop of color in here because the rest of our kitchen/ family room is browns and tans. I'm just a little scared of tiring of the orange and always being unhappy that it's not my favorite color, which is red. I like the caramel too and think I could bring in more accent colors with throw pillows and curtains. But the caramel is very close to our floor color (the floors look lighter in the pics). Another issue with caramel is that when you look into this room from the kitchen all you really see is the sofa, and I don't think the caramel will give a very exciting first impression from that view. What do you all think?

Comments (11)

• star7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the rust orange. Looks more red than it really is.

• star7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the caramel color. In real life the floors look darker.

• chispa
    10 years ago

The rust looks nice. I think the caramel will just melt into your wall and floor color and disappear!

Can you place the rust sample on your red sofa to see how different the "reds" are?

• star7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a more accurate picture of the rust color. It's definitely an orange. I don't think any of the pictures I just took of the rust sample on the current couch look accurate but I'll try to post one.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Definitely the rust~brighter is better.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I've had my rust orange(more orange) sofa for 8 or 9 years and I still love it. Go with what you like best.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I like the rust/orange.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I have a similar rust color on 2 chairs and I really like it. I have lots of red and rust in the house. I'll keep my vote with rust!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I fear neither one will not make you happy in the long run. As you said, it's not red. That right there tells me you won't be completely happy. I would recommend you keep looking.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

While I like the rust better, it sounds like what you really want is red. So, I agree with justgot above.

• star7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I'm seriously considering the rust color. I'm afraid of a change but I really do want a change. We have red all over our house! I have fallen in love with this particular sectional, which of course is gorgeous in vanilla, but I have kids and a dog. The red offered is very bright cardinal red, and I think one of these colors is still my best bet. The sectional isn't too expensive so it's not something we plan on having for 10+ years. I think I'll be able to live with my decision for a while.