Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natesgramma

Help - How to add color/life to my kitchen (lotsaPICS)

natesgramma
16 years ago

I'm open to any and all suggestions. My kitchen was recently remodeled and we opened an area into the livingroom. My cabinets are stained the color of cinnamon, my table is cherry, my wall color is Saybrook sage, and my granite is a mixture of creams, carmels, and rusts. Someday I'll have a backsplash (fairly plain). I just got the barstools which are super comfy although not really mission style. After several tries we decided to go w/comfort.

Please offer ideas on the following areas where I'm stuck.

I'd like 1 or 2 big pics on the large wall behind the table. Do I look for frames to match the table color, or go real dark (brown/black). I'm hoping for something like sidewalk scenes or something with a lot of depth. Something where you wish you were there and wondered what is behind the building, walkway, etc. and some new color. How large should they be compared to the table?

Once I get pictures, is that where I will find another color or two to add to the room?

Drapery/curtains. I currently don't have any on the sink window or the slider. We have verticle blinds on the window by the table because the light reflects on the tv in the other room. I don't really need any for privacy but if it would add to the coziness of the kitchen, I'm open for ideas.

Is a rug under the table a good idea in the kitchen?

Should I change the white accessories in the upper glass cabinets to something with color? I need something else on the stove hood where the little white angels are, maybe plates, bottles, etc.

I'm more into blending, warm and cozy compared to contrast, bright bold colors but I'm open to ideas. I do have one black metal flower thingy on the wall near the sink but I think that is just temporary. Any other ideas for that wall?

Ok, here are my current pics.

Comments (44)

• amylville
    16 years ago

Natesgramma, beautiful job on the kitchen. Just a general suggestion; your granite doesn't seem "connected" to the rest of your kitchen. I would consider pulling the color of your granite out into your eating area. Either into your accesories or the pictures that would be lovely on the wall or a rug under your table(I have one under my kitchen table and its no problem.) By the way is that an Italian greyhound having a snack, and if so where is his tail?

• scottmel
    16 years ago

Hi again -this is Melissa from the bathroom forum - the paint in your powder room would look GORGEOUS in your kitchen. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear if your kitchen is freshly painted - but that would be warm and gorgeous with those colors...See you GOTTA Find out that name now! :)

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Do your frames in something that complements your art choice. Then if the art pieces work in your kitchen, the frames will also work.
    I think you can start anywhere with color inspiration. If you feel like starting with artwork- ok, but I think that's the wrong reason to choose art. If you choose to start with fabric color and texture or print -- I think that's a better place to start.
    The white in the cabinets are ok in my opinion, but you need more of them and position them so they are more visible in the glass panels. Maybe put the big pot on the counter; put another shelf along the glass line and put pieces below on risers so that all pieces look displayed and not just stored. If you use those two small cabinet doors above the stove, I wouldn't put anything on the shelf in front that is purely decorative and appears to interfere with the function of the doors. Even if you don't mind doing so, I wouldn't put something in front of cabinet doors that would have to be moved each time you wanted to open the door.
    Can you put something behind the stove. Maybe a decorative metal/painted easy-to-clean art piece? Even a shelf for nice salt and pepper and olive oil containers. (Just tossing out possibilities here and your kitchen has lots of great options open to you -- you've done the hard work; this is the fun part)
    I would definitely get some color into your kitchen. Start with fabric for the curtains and a rug would also be very nice. The artwork will follow and will fit in when you're ready.

• natesgramma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great ideas so far. A few answers and more questions.

Amy, how do I get the granite colors into the eating area. Do you mean look for salt and pepper shakers, placemats, in carmels and rusts, etc? I can look for wall pictures with earthy colors.

The dog is a tall rat terrier that may be part greyhound, she sure can run.

Melissa, I'm in love with the saybrook sage and am about beiged out. So for now, I'd like to work with that as my main color. I'll look again for that color name for you.

Annie, you are right about the glass cabinets. I forgot that I had just stuck a lid in the right cab. Here is the left side.

Should I add more white pieces or should I be adding another color? The cabinet doors above the stove will never be used so if I put something on the shelf it would only be decorative. Above the range, something temporary would be good, I just don't know what to look for. Wouldn't a shelf get greasy there?

Do you think I should do curtains or leave it as is? If I do them, what styles should I be looking at.

Do any of you have rugs that are on vinyl? I just don't want a large rug to discolor my new floor.

Keep popping ideas my way. I'm obviously in need of all your help.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I love how you added three pictures with a lot fo white in them that ties in the white refrigerator and dishwasher. It looks great!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Thanks, Lynn. To tell the truth, I wasn't too pleased with either of the pictures I made, but they took me so long to do them that I threw in the towel at that point. lol

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

First of all, beautiful kitchen!

On the windows, I think a simple toile valance would be lovely: see link.

Also, I think some transferware decorative plates (on the wall next to the sink?) would bring out your granite.

If you like collecting white pieces, just stay with white! I think such collections are beautiful.

To add color, keep a large bowl of fruit on your island, rather than the pottery. Hang a pretty handtowel on the stove handle. Place a small and colorful runner in front of the sink, and another in front of the stove.

I would not put a rug under the table and chairs. I would, however, place a colorful runner in front of the cabinets across from them. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Toile Valance

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Adding curtains is a great way to bring color to your kitchen, even if it is a simple valance. Find a fabric you like, any color will work, I would like to see a multi color print. Then you can use any color from the curtains as accessory accents around the room. Find some thing with white in it if thats what you like, but all white is not enough punch. I like the little black iron wall decor you have, you could find a larger piece for the dining area, but it doesn't add color. As far as a rug under the table, pass on that, extra work, unless it is something that you really want.

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Hey Oceanna, where did you get those prints? Love them.

• User
    16 years ago

Natesgrama - just to remind you - I LOVE your granite.

I think oceanna's pic with the artwork is great- it is (relatively) simple and really does the job.

The valance-- I would agree with oceanna - doesn't really sing to me.

• teacats
    16 years ago

here's a wonderful artwork -- it would look great as a Canvas Transfer (look under the pull-down menu called "more customizing options) -- and hung on the wall unframed.

LOTS of color --- and lots of life! Then you would lots of simple fresh white accessories around the room.

Over the window -- I would like to see a painted cornice box (the same color as the walls) that would create the illusion that the window is "taller" -- and perhaps a basic white linen roman shade.

AND think about adding "something" tall (a fountain? a trellis along the wall?) to the very back wall of the garden -- that would draw the viewer's eye out and all the way to the wall. That would visually expand the view too .....

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- market scene

• teacats
    16 years ago

Here's another artwork -- again -- how about getting it put simply onto a Wood Mount -- and hang it frameless. It has lots of great color and depth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cafe scene -- sidewalk scene -- art.com

• natesgramma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's nothing better than waking up to all your great ideas. Thanks for the nice comments.

I like the idea of runners instead of the carpet. Would I be looking for multi-colored or solid?

I like the tab valance idea. Would I use a rod in white or cinnamon? What do I do with the slider, do I use a valance on that, panels or leave as is?

I do like the 3 pics that Oceana put up, but I was originally thinking of something to get lost in, more like the second cafe scene that Teacats posted. If I got something like that (I like the colors and subject), should I get several pics, and should the pics be the same size?

• teacats
    16 years ago

Glad to help -- perhaps just hang a simple unframed but larger (size is important -- look for larger ones) artwork would work on that wall behind the table.

THEN add a couple of smaller but related prints above the pass-through window to the living room? Or try hanging simple white plates above the pass-through.

Here's a link to art.com -- their "villages and towns" category -- search through it -- or look for more "cafe" artworks.

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- villages and towns artworks

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I think I would go with a white rod for the valances, and multi-colored runners. :) I don't think you need anything on the slider, but you might think about putting up three transferware plates above it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Transferware

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

Here I go chiming in and I don't know nothin. Natesgramma, I think the clock above the window has got to go. It's lost and lonely up there. Put it somewhere else where it is more in scale to the area it's on. Probably would be easier to read down lower, too. I'm old...can't see much. Above the window, put a series of plates or even small prints...it might take five, but at least three to try to fill up the space. If you did that, you might not even want a valance. Just my thoughts.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Great idea for the plates above the sink window instead of a valance.

• mommyto4boys
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and I love the paint color. I usually like window treatments, but in your case. The beautu, trin, and simplicity of your window doesn't seem to be calling to be covered with a treatment.

• les917
    16 years ago

I would love to see a rich cobalt blue added as the accent color in the space. It think it would be a great link between the cool walls and the warmer color of the cabinets and granite. You could add a few cobalt accessories in the display cabinets, and look for some art that has some of those deep, exciting blues as well.

Just as an example, look at this piece. I love it, but of course art is very subjective, and it may not appeal to you at all. See the deeper blues in the piece? I love the cinnamon and gold tones that pick up on your room, and the vertical lines which echo the lines of the chairs.

metro heights print

I don't see the need for a rug in the dining area. The table and chairs take up a fair amount of the space there, and I think a rug, which needs to be larger than that furniture all the way around, will end up shrinking the space.

I think the idea of some plates or something above the kitchen window is great. I would love to see some kind of interesting valance above the slider, to soften that a bit, hung pretty high so it balances the cabinet heights.

I would take your black iron flower thing and put that on the wall behind the stove.

• parma42
    16 years ago

I love that metro heights print you found, Les. It reminds me of the person who posted about her son wanting an orange and blue bedroom. I think those colors are a beautiful combination.

My wish is that I had more wall space in my new kitchen. Love all the cabinits, double ovens, etc. but I really miss art in the space.

Natesgramma, my granite is similar to yours but with more dark rust in it(Golden river). As Les said, bring out the warm color of it and add an accent color for contrast. The blue would be perfect.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Les: I had to laugh when I read your post. I, too, immediately thought of cobalt blue accents, but was hesitant to say so, for fear of being seen as totally clueless. Now that you have confirmed my instinct, however, allow me to echo your own: Cobalt Blue!!!!

• les917
    16 years ago

LOL, Organic - maybe it is just that we are both totally clueless? Hey, if that is the case, you are one with whom I don't mind sharing the title! :-)

• natesgramma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oceana, thank you so much for adding the valance and pics to my photos. I wish I had your talent!

Cobalt blue??!! I loved the colors in the print link but when I looked at it, I thought of blueish gray. Then I googled it and was surprised, it's much brighter and bluer.

I moved the black metal flowery piece over the stove and love it. Works perfect for now. I added a blue dishtowel.

I found a beach picture with blues that I'll bring in later and see if that is the type of color you are suggesting. Is cobalt blue like the painters tape?

Here is a link that might be useful: This cobalt blue?

• les917
    16 years ago

Yep, blues in that family. I really like the metal piece over the stove. A perfect fit, and it almost has the feel of steam rising when you first look at it, which seems appropriate for that spot!

The blue dishtowel is a bit too pale for what I was thinking - I think you need the depth of the blues in the link you provided, rather than another soft color like the cabinets and walls. But it was a good try!

• natesgramma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think I want a beach scene and I realize that this much blue is a pretty big an accent but what do you think of this blue w/my walls? I also found a little blue toothpick holder that I think is cobalt. Like/no like? Suggestions?

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I think that blue is beautiful. My only hesitancy is that I would like to see a piece on your wall with a bit of green in it, as well as blue. Love the little toothpick holder. :)

• les917
    16 years ago

I agree with OS that I love the blue in that pix, but I would like to see some greens and rusts as well. Not sure the water/beach theme feels quite right in the space. But color-wise you are on the right path. Don't be in a rush - wait until you find the right artwork that really speaks to you for that space.

In the meantime, think about a runner for the table/ Or, a brushed nickel or pewter candle plate in the center, with some blue and green and rust pillar candles.

Not crazy about those canisters - what about something like this?

cobalt canister set

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

I think your kitchen is really nice! I must be clueless on decorating b/c no way would I use cobalt blue. I'd go for more rust & creams, or even a deeper sage for the mat on artwork.

I would not use a rug, I really hated trying to clean my floor when I had one, and that was on tile. Not to mention the pulling out and pushing in of the chairs which skewed the rug. Good luck to you and can't wait to see how it turns out!
    Susan

• natesgramma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all have amazing ideas. I wasn't really planning on the beach scene, just using that for an example of blue and I do think having several colors in my artwork is going to be perfect. I am not one to decorate and be done. I change my mind every year or so, move all my bed or LR furniture around, and change accessories. So having cobalt blue would be a nice color to add but I will still have rusts, creams, and greens. I like earthy colors with a bit of pizzaz and I think the cobalt might just be what I need.

I have decided not to do a rug under the table, you all had good suggestions on that. I don't use canisters but I do like vases of all sizes, shapes, colors.

DH is not so sure about the plates. What other items could be placed above the kitchen window or on the wall next to the sink if I don't do the plates?

• sallymo2015
    16 years ago

How about the "wall words" above the door? I think a window treatment would look good above the sink and on the window by the table. You might not need one above the sliding doors---I've found that it can feel awkward to walk under a valance. But if you don't have a tall family, it's probably not such a big deal!
    I was liking the rusts/reds in your kitchen and tried to use a small polka-dot fabric, but the size of the dots got crazy----but you get the point.
    {{!gwi}}

• mayvenne
    16 years ago

That shape of window treatment looks nice there and I definitely love the metal art by the stove. That was like a stroke of genius, really. I do like the idea of little touches of the cobalt blue in there, nmaybe just some more chotckes of blue? Like if you were to hang some of the plates and stuff, not that they should be only blue and white but should have strong touches of blue?
    Honestly though, your kitchen looks great so please don't take these comments as criticisms of a beautiful room. Just fine tuning!

• amcofar
    16 years ago

It is amazing how great the metal art looks over the stove--great eye, Les917.

I received a Ross-Simons catalog in the mail today and saw a piece that echoes your metal art. However, it's bigger and has more dimension and presenceÂand a narrow ledge for small potted plants or flowers. I am not sure how much space you have on that outside wall nearest your sink, but I thought this piece might look good there. However, I can't tell you how many times I've pointed at something I wanted hung in a particular spot, and my DH, who's an engineer, would look me in the eye and say, "No way that's fitting there!" I am spatially challenged, I suppose.

Anyway, your kitchen looks great, and I love the white ironstone displays. Perhaps you could find some white ironstone plates to hang in a row over the opening to your living area, too. Although your DH didnÂt buy the hanging-plates idea mentioned in previous posts, I think bringing some of the white ironstone to other areas would look great and carry out your theme. White looks great with your cab color, btw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ross-Simons

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I really think the table area is begging to be grounded with a carpet, but that's just me maybe. I don't like it just floating out there on the tile.

I do like the idea of a simple window treatment and definately take it up to the full height and disquise the top of the window frame so it won't look squatty.

I am afraid I don't get the blue ladies. I would be pulling out the gorgeous golds and rust tones from the granite instead of trying to find another color to play with.

A backsplash in rust and cream would be drop dead gorgeous in that room!

• wondery
    16 years ago

could you tell me the name of your granite?

• brutuses
    16 years ago

The iron piece over the stove is great. The entire kitchen is very pretty. Love, love, love that granite.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Deborahnj, the prints I put up there are by Billy Showell. I just LOVE her work! Here is a link for you...

Here is a link that might be useful: Billy Showell botanical art

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful.

It just needs a little fun added to it.

The valance that starts from the ceiling with the stage coach ties would be a good choice. I think that picture is a great example of how you can bring colors into the room from the fabric. Also, I would suggest using the same valance in the dining area. The picture with the shorter valance looks too choppy. I would look for a print fabric that had some of the colors of the granite in it.

I really like the iron art over the stove although I would prefer to see a tile BS, if funds allow it.

The dining table needs a large colored art bowl. I agree with Igloo, the colbat just doesn't make it and you need to pull in the golds and rusts. Colbalt blue actually sticks out like a sore thumb but it may work if you have art or fabric with a little colbalt blue in it along with rusts and golds.

I would not use any rug in an eating area unless you were using a glass table.

The patio doors look fine without any treatment but a valance would add some warmth to the room and still give you full view (use one that starts from the ceiling)

Don't worry about tying in the white appliances. I would just ignore them since the wood trim is painted white (that's enough white).

Once you get the window treatments squared away, I would like to see some colored accessories in the glass cabs instead of plain white.

JMHO

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

I was playing around and did a couple mock-ups. Not sure what style you like, so with the colors you already have it seemed the art and lights I could find seemed kinda asian? : ) I like the above posters idea of some wall words above the window or wall opening.........something like "Family......don't count the days, make the days count" etc.
    I like the color of paint you chose for your walls. Do you like dark wood frames, no frame or metal/black frames? Here are some ideas..............HTH
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    and some above the table lights...
    {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}
    I really like the look of this tall bamboo plant : )
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: wall words

• natesgramma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not home where I can take a current picture but here is one at a baby shower a couple weeks ago. The artwork that I found is just what I was looking for.

From my first message I wrote "I'm hoping for something like sidewalk scenes or something with a lot of depth. Something where you wish you were there and wondered what is behind the building, walkway". This picture has a girls bicycle leaning against a stone building with a pathway leading up the street along old buildings. The colors are perfect earthtones, golds, browns, with a bit of blue on the building windows. The frame had me a bit worried at first since it was so dark but when I put something dark on my table, it seems to go together.

The name of my granite is Madagascar Gold but I haven't seen it anywhere except in Anaheim, CA.

I'm anxious to try some window treatments and appreciate all of the great suggestions. I'll take a better picture as soon as I'm able to.

• marrilyn
    16 years ago

natesgramma, I think your kitchen is lovely. I especially like your table and chairs. Can you tell me the brand name/where you got it? Also, what are the table's dimensions? Its very nice! Thanks

• natesgramma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marrilyn, thank you for the nice comments. I'm not at home so can't give you the dimensions on the table, or the brand. It has 2 additional leaves which takes up most of the room but is great if we have a big family dinner.

The table, 2 leaves, 6 chairs, was a craigslist find for $140. I was thrilled.

• marrilyn
    16 years ago

Wow! What a steal! I've been watching my local Craigslist for weeks, no actually months now, and haven't seen anything like that.

If you get home any time soon and are able to post the additional info, I'd appreciate it. I'll keep my eye on this thread. Thanks again.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!