Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

Can I do this? Or will it look weird?

kpaquette
15 years ago

In the past I've asked what to do do with my ceilings in both of my bedrooms, which have sloped walls. I really really love painted ceilings and don't mind painting them, but I feel like if I'm going to paint them they should be the same color since there is no crown. And that color should be lighter, because I'm not sure about a dark color on the ceiling.

So now of course I find this picture that I LOVE and want to copy. It's from Just Beachy (this is for our beach house, guest room actually) and I really love it.

And hubby loves it too. But here is the room:

SO FINALLY, my question. ;-) I would like to pick a dark taupe off a paint chip, then pick a couple of colors lighter on the chip for the ceiling. Since the walls are angled and I can't do crown, could I just put a FLAT molding, like a chair rail or astragal molding, at the top of the wall right at the ceiling?? And that could be sort of pretend crown? Then I could separate the wall and ceiling colors and problem solved!

Has anyone seen this done?

Comments (11)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I don't understand why you need any crown. The inspiration pic has none.

Lots of people paint their ceilings a different shade without it.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I'm a little confused. Your inspiration photo has no demarcation between the wall and the ceiling and the two different paint colors look fine. Would it not be possible for you to do the same thing in your room? In essence you've already done so by not having a separation between the wallpaper and the ceiling paint. Or is there something I'm missing? Also, the color in the picture you love is more of a grayish brown. Does that seem too dark for you since you're planning on taupe?

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're right - there is no crown in the inspiration photo.

First - The photo of my room is with the PO's wallpaper and ceiling color - which are now gone. (the room was gutted.) Now it is new plaster awaiting paint.

I think in general I'm just partial to crown, especially when the ceiling is going to be something other than white. That's definitely a personal preference. I know people do it all the time without, but I prefer it with. I was thinking of painting the ceiling the lightest color on the same chip as the wall color, but maybe the room will look better with a white ceiling if this is the wall color? Is my situation different than the inspiration photo since my walls are slanted?

Also, it will be easier to talk my husband into this dark color for the walls if there is some sort of molding at the ceiling before transitioning to a different color for the ceiling. He is a firm believer in crown when painting the ceilings a color other than white.

So I guess the real question should be, IF I can use a flat molding in place of crown (can I?) then would the room look good with a non white ceiling? Or should I stick to what's in the inspiration photo and keep the ceiling white, with or without a molding?

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OR -

My bedding is a powder blue toile, sort of similar in feel to the inspiration photo. Would it be too much if I did the ceiling a soft powder blue, with creamy white painted trim? I love the blue/brown combo. In that case I'd definitely want some sort of molding. Or would that be too much?

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I just started reading that blog this week. I love her use of pale blue throughout her home. But, I digress . . .

I think much of the appeal of the inspiration pic is the contrast between the walls and the white ceiling and furniture. Do you still have the built-ins in the room? I would paint the ceiling white, along with the built-ins if you still have them. If the built-ins are gone, I'd do a white headboard and some other accessories such as she has done with the mirror.

I don't really see crown molding in this bedroom if you are going for that cottage, beachy feel. JMHO.

I do think you could use the toile bedding and add in some pillows, etc. in the wall color, just as she has done.

tina

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I did use a flat band of moulding where the side walls were slanted and the end walls were straight up to the peak and the peak was not symmetrical. (We did not want to emphasize a lopsided peak with wall color)

So a flat band was applied all the way around and walls painted ceiling color above and wall color below. If you did not want to do it in trim color it could be either the wall or ceiling color, perhaps.

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses...since my post my wheels have been turning. I agree with you all that the ceilings should be white with this room and I will start with that. If cutting in the angled walls to the straight white ceiling becomes too much ;-) then I'll add a flat molding to match the trim (or ceiling) on the top of the walls.

My furniture is painted white, except the bed, which is (white) wrought iron. I thus far have about 7 pillows so will have to add to that collection. ;-)

Just have to figure out what to do for a light fixture - 8'4" ceilings...any ideas???

This house is a cottage, but it is also a Victorian. We have lots of woodwork downstairs. That's why I thought I could get away with some sort of moldings upstairs. Beautiful custom casings will be upstairs, but not too big - I'll post pictures again I'm sure as the renovation progresses and ask you opinion about my dark taupe walls!

• Cyndi Charney
    15 years ago

We have a sloping wall above our bed and I struggled with how and where to distinguish the wall from the ceiling when we repainted. We finally decided to paint the vertical and sloped walls all the same color and the ceilings several shades lighter. Our walls are SW Rain and the ceiling is SW Topsail. Once it was done, I knew that we had made the right decision for that room.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Another option is to paint the ceiling down to the top of the windows and break the color there with picture rail around the room. Makes painting and repainting a dream!
    examples are igloochic photos

Or you can cut into the ceiling and trim over the line
    leaving trim a slight space for future painting.

Don't be afraid of dark ceiling, great for making old house flaws vanish!

build in lighting-up

in

cut way in

or hide in crown or picture moulding

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm intrigued by the molding on the ceiling (the 3rd picture) - first because it gives the illusion (kinda) of thick crown and second, because I can't have any art on 3 of the 4 walls (since they slant) and so need to create interest elsewhere. The windows will have 3.5" casings (with interesting beading.) I have a million ideas running through my head and nothing is set yet..but they include:

Doing this molding a few inches in on the ceiling (maybe 6-8") and doing the flat molding at the top of the wall, painting both moldings and the ceiling in between the trim color. doing the rest of the ceiling a color, determined by whatever color the walls end up being. Then doing a sort of victorian stencil as a medallion in the center where the (still undetermined) light fixture will hang.

forgetting the molding, painting the room (including the ceiling) one soft color (so forget the taupe) and add a victorian-ish stencil around the ceiling border (on the ceiling), and the medallion.

Or doing the taupe, and copying the picture. :-)

Decisions decisions.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

Bodica I fell in love with that one room with all the white on it..the room is the same color as my living room and the trim is the same color as mine too, i just don't have all the fancy work and i love it..i saved that picture..i love those lacey mouldings on the ceiling..maybe not beachy ..but ME..thanks.

my room is the brown like that..almost exact match but ralph lauren suede..so it has texture..i totally love my walls..but would love love love to add the ceiling design in that photo..think i'll print it and put it in my wish book