Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Did you hire someone to retile your fireplace?

msrose
10 years ago

I've been shopping for new floors and I was thinking about having my fireplace retiled since they will be here anyway. I felt like the guy at the floor store was trying to talk me out of it. He told me it would cost $900 to $1300 depending on the tile I pick. He said it was so expensive, because they have to replace whatever is behind the tile. Backer Board I think? Just wondering if anyone had theirs redone and how much it cost.

Comments (15)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

The contractor who installed the granite in our kitchen tiled our fireplace. Our fireplace was brick and they simply installed the granite over the brick. That was five years ago and I can't give you a price since he was doing a lot of other tile work in the house.

I would call one or two other installers and ask them to come out and give you an estimate.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I started to look into that a while ago when I was facelifting my 80's living room, but the prices I got were outta sight. My recollection was that it was considered a "small" job and they like big jobs so they charge as if it were a big job!

I ended up realizing that my biggest problem with my brick F/P was that it was all brick and needed a nice wood mantel and surround instead of the skimpy thing that was there. So I did that first and the brick looked better because there was less of it. But then I decided to faux paint the brick in multi-tone beiges,creams and greys for a stone look. Huge transformation. Came out great.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Well, I decided I was going to do it myself, not sure that's helpful though.

Are you at all handy? You could probably do the demo and drywall at least. I've never tiled before, and I find myself putting it off for any reason I can find. Most recently it is because the new floor has to go in first (completely legit reason, we planned on doing the floors soon). I'm not sure pebble tiles were the best first tiling project choice, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm terrified of mixing the mortar incorrectly!

So far, I've removed the old mantle, removed old tile, removed old drywall and hearth, patched in new drywall, rebuilt hearth (it was too small), and put cement board on the hearth complete with mortar in the seams. Oh, and repainted the metal surround as well as the new reclaimed mantel. So far none of it was that difficult, the hardest part was taping the cement board corners because the tape doesn't like to bend.

• amykath
    10 years ago

We did ours ourselves. It wasn't too terrible. I do have a hubby who is handy though.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Ditto aktillery - my hubby also tiled ours.

Do you maybe have someone who could help you do yours?

tina

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I've had one fireplace done like maire_cate and then had another where rock was removed, the box built back up, cement board installed, and the fp retiled. The former was inexpensive (when bundled with other jobs) but the latter was very, very expensive (but a more major project). The price seems like it is in the neighborhood of what to expect, though. Sometimes, however, when stuff comes down there are surprises. Like if the tile was directly laid on mortar on top of brick, things can get a bit more complicated.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. It sounds like the guy was being honest with me. Unfortunately, I don't have a hubby for home projects. Wait! I mean I unfortunately don't have someone to do home projects, not I unfortunately don't have a hubby. I already got rid of one of those and don't want another :)

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Do you have a picture of your fireplace? We did the work on ours in a couple of hours and it was pretty simple because we didn't need grout on the stone we used. If you purchase the tile at home depot or lowes they will make the cuts for you. If not you can rent a tile cutter to do the job. The rest is pretty straight forward unless you are doing a whole wall of tile.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rtwilliams - You're back on Gardenweb! My fireplace looks like yours. I went to order new floors today and he ended up giving me a good deal on the fireplace after all. My mother is also having our floors replaced, so we asked for the family discount :)

• leenamark
    10 years ago

Transformation really takes more time, work and hence the cost is bit higher. So exact price cannot be given as it depends on type of tile you select and the area you want to cover. Check with 2 or 3 contractor before finalizing the one.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rtwilliams - I love the color of your fireplace, but I ended up picking a tan color instead of the golden, because it goes with the color of my house better. The color in this picture is pretty accurate, except for the bottom stone. It's showing up blue on my screen and it's really green.

kitchen tile

There will be wood floors in the room where the fireplace is, but it's an open concept, so I want everything to match.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Oh yes I remember your fireplace. The stack stone you show there looks really close to what we used and It has so many different subtle colors it really goes with about anything. That will look great with your other selections. I can't wait to see the finished fireplace and wood floors. The wood floors will transform the room!

Did you you decide to go all wood up to the fireplace and door?

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I did decide to run the wood floors up to the fireplace and door. They're supposed to start installing everything on Monday!

• Ann Crisp
    5 years ago
    this is an old post but what kind of tile and counter did you install? I really like the colors