Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedona_heaven

Desperate for drape decision

sedona_heaven
10 years ago

Hi All,

DH is at the end of his rope. We moved into the house a month ago and I have not been able to pull the trigger on ordering window coverings/curtains. I am madly in love with the idea of restoration hardware style linen curtains to help soften the boxy spaces - simple, unlined, as my proclivities are organic, simple and relaxed, definitely not formal or traditional.

Big problem: there is only 12 inches available for a stack on one side of the set of living room windows, which are actually three sets of windows with sheet rock in between. The windows themselves are not attractive, but the view is our delight - just love the openness and have even oriented the couch so we can sit and look out at the changing high desert light.

The size of the 3 windows is approx. 2 @52" 1@70" plus about 4" of sheetrock between the windows total 182". Then to get stack off of the window 12 " on either side the most we can go 182 + 24 =206" over all size of the drapery. My window covering sales person is telling me this means a stack of at least 33 inches per side, which means it will cover at least 22 inches of each side of the window. This is too much. I could live with half that, but no more.

I did find a web site which said with thinner material you should add 10% for the stack. (we're using a very thin linen - not sheer, but light rather than medium or heavy weight). So if the total width is around 200 inches, then that would be 20 inches on either side, and with the 12 inches off the window it would only cover about 8 inches. I would love that, but am not sure who to trust. Also planning to use rings since we'll be opening and closing often to deal with the sun and cozy things up at night.

I think this company farms out their curtains, and I'm just not totally sure they're clear on these numbers. Also, they'd be just as happy if I order all Hunter Douglas vignette tailored roman shades, which I plan to do in the kitchen (open to the living room).

Help and thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm