Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Living Room Update & a few thrift store 'finds'

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the rug last week. We ended up sending it back. I think it is going to take a while to choose a rug as I'm still not sure what I want--though we did decide to downsize to an 8x10 which should open up some other options.

I did make some minor progress on the decor and wanted to get some feedback. I finally bought the floor lamp, a new pot for the palm (took about 3 tries to finally size it right). Squirrel, there was not enough space IRL to put the palm and the lamp next to one another so I put the palm on the right. I am thinking of a small corner curio/etagere for the left corner. The three little gold frames I had lying around unused for the past year and finally cut up some cards from the hand-foot-and-mouth painters and put them inside.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There was a Salvation Army next to Michael's so I thought I'd check it out and did find a few things I thought might work in my space. You know you are at the end of a long remodel when you start frequenting the thift stores! One is the red cut glass candle holder on drum table($5),the other a narrow vintage Ethan Allan mirror ($2.50) and the other a set of candle wall sconces ($15). The wall sconces are shaped like a fleur de lis, which I thought would work well with some of the other French elements in the room. I was wondering if I should use as-is or do some time of bronze type finish on them. Opinions?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

What should I put inside the sconces? Candles, flowers or ?? As for placement I thought I could flank the mantle picture or do a grouping to one side of the other with the two sconces and the mirror in the center like I showed above. Then on the other side of the fireplace I would do a couple of smaller landscape type prints.

I am still thinking of a jelly jar lamp for the drum table near the sofa, a table skirt for one of the drum tables, and some dried lavendar (on order) for the green vase. Oh yes, and the rug.... after taxes most likely. :(

Am I going in the right direction here?

Comments (16)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One more thing I wanted some feedback on. I was thinking of a mahogany mantle clock for the mantle. One like in the following link.

I know I swore off of eBay so I would try to find something at an Estate sale or CL. I can kick myself there was one for sale about a 2-hr drive away for $65. I dismissed it and now it's gone. Waaaahhhh! I'm thiking one of these 8-day keyed ones as I don't want to see a cord--or I could just buy new with a battery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mantle Clock

• kim2007
    16 years ago

I love your colors, very sophisticated, especially the blue-gray walls! And the turquoise accents really work well. Nice thrift store finds, too. The sconces already look sort of bronze-ish to me, so I'm not sure what sort of finish you're referring to-?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh that lamp looks good! I guess the quality was nice and you're keeping it. Brave to shop online like that : )

I really like those sconces. I picture a white pillar candle in them if it's the right size. Maybe alternating b/w the glass and the candles. Like the glass too : ) Look how beautiful they are with the marble too. I wonder if they could flank the mirror in the hall??

I'm going to just let you collect and play for a while : )

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Missed the finish part. I was really enjoying the black with rubbed accents in the closeup, but they do look more bronze in the other pic. So, hard to say. I'd just try them for a while as-is and see if they sit well or you feel they're off.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like the idea of a clock in your room. I guess I see that style around so much that I'd like to see something different, maybe even unusual.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Val, your room is just so pretty. I'm liking your "blue tape special" rug. lol.

I agree with squirrel that a clock is a great idea, but that's not a very interesting one.

• decorpas
    16 years ago

I love the fleur de lis sconces! am I reading many of the other finishes correctly, in that they are also black with bronze or antique gold highlights?

I love Goodwill! You scored.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Val,

- Moving along - you are good!!

- Oh, I'm soooo happy you got a proper pot for that plant is was buggin me ;) - lets see it -
    - Sconces - yes, agree w/squirrel put them up & see how they are in their place as is - I also vote for candles
    - Do you want a working clock or decorative - I have a lovely one that was dh's parents - not working & I did take it to a clock guy who said really wasn't worth fixing :( - looks lovely & I can move the hands and hear the lovely chimes

I can't help myself I'm rug shopping for you again -
    Hmmm that "unusual" element may be it????

Random pics -looking outside the box

http://www.justwoolrugs.com/Surya-Rug-KST-66-YA9467.html#ProdDetails

http://www.justwoolrugs.com/Surya-Rug-KST-66-YA9467.html#ProdDetails

http://www.justwoolrugs.com/Surya-Rug-IN-8020-YA1357.html

http://www.justwoolrugs.com/Kaleen-Rug-Co.-6565-34-KR1158.html
    http://www.justwoolrugs.com/Nourison-SAT1-BL-NO1815.html

http://www.justwoolrugs.com/Nourison-SAT1-BL-NO1815.html

I'll keep looking

good luck val the room is lovely

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrel: Lucky for me we have a Lamps Plus store. I liked this one though was nervous about the scale as the shade was so much bigger than the surrounding ones in the store, but I told myself, squirrel photoshopped it in, it looked great, just get it.... and it does. Glad I did not take DH though as he would've nixed it for a smaller shade, but when he saw it in the room without the other lamps to compare, he thought it looked fine. However, the other table lamps of this style were huge so I am scouting around for a ginger jar (under $100) as I think I have enought bronzy stuff in there. I was hoping you'd play around--since now it will be more nails to put in. Flanking the entry table is another option for the sconces I had been considering as well. It looks nice there also, though the wall is not that large so it looks complete without it. I guess I am rather stumped what to do on either side of the fireplace. I was thinking of doing my botonical prints, but I feel the scale might not work so am thinking of using them elsewhere. I like the feel of a more vertical arrangement with two landscape directional (not necessarily a landscape) prints one on top of the other; at the same time I don't want to fall into the symmetry trap of doing the same things to either side. Balance, not symmetry is the effect I am looking for. Too much symmetry can be boring as it's expected. That is why I was thinking of doing the arrangement with the little mirror in between. For the sconces are you suggesting I put the candle in without the glass? I'd be afraid it'd fall out. I was thinking putting the candle in the glass, though not sure what size. It looks like what it is meant for since there are designs in the glass which you would see when a candle is lit inside. However, I'm not totally sure if it's meant for a candle and if so, what type/size. If you can photoshop some accessories on my mantle that would help--esp. the clock. My classic is boring.... Ha!Ha! I love the honest responses. So what do you think would work? I put a plant there, though it's small right now, it will grow.

kim: I realized that after I looked at the pics. I can't quite tell if they look bronze or antique brass (which is so OUT). Perhaps because it was a thrift store find. I think I'll leave as is.

decorpas: It looks more like the one I took on my hardwood floor. The other one (taken w/o a flash) where it is just a tad darker is what I was thinking of; yet I would not want to loose the gold accents.

sarschlos_remodler: What type of clock do you see working there? If I have a vision in my mind, I'm pretty good looking for it.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow Val, your room is really shaping up! I love the palm where it is. I also love your Salvation finds, especailly the sconces. I'd leave the finish as is for now as suggested. The glass reminds me of tortoise shells.

How about a grandfather clock? That corner looks bare to me. This is a start... dunno where you're going to put your finds...

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jejvtr: Our posts must've crossed. Regarding the clock, it will depend what I can find for how much. As you know, I have the champagne taste on a beer budget. LOL! If one had sentimental value like yours, I could definitely see keeping it whether it worked or not; but ideally I'd like it to work. It's one of those "icing on the cake" items so I can wait. I've seen some faux ones at Home Decorators and LNT which I am resisting the urge to buy just to put something up there. I've got a lot of nice things just by being patient and having an eye out. There is a beehive one for sale right now on CL when I last looked, but it seems a tad plain. I'm curious to see what others will suggest. Regarding the rug, I still really have my heart set on a Persian styled rug, though I think I will look for one that is not directional this time. I want to work with someone locally and not order over the internet since I am not confident what will work and I want option to return. There is one person who has a home based rug business I found on CL selling new rugs and has agreed to let me purchase on approval. I just have to get up there as she is in San Francisco and ideally I'd like to go more locally. Then, I think why spend so much at all and just get one of the machine woven ones at Home Decorators, Kohls or Tuesday Morning. Part of me still likes the vintage rugs, if I could find a colorfast one on my budget. Who knows? Guess I should've been a Gemini. Lastly, below is a pic of my pot. I hope it meets your approval as I ended up transplanting the palm. The container it was in was too small and the sides did not look good. I just need to get some peat moss to put on top.
    {{!gwi}}

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

OOoh, it sounds like you had a lot of fun at the thrift store. I really like the things you found, and think they all work.

I'm dismayed to learn that antique brass is OUT, since that is what I have in my house. But my house is 100+ yrs old, so I guess it has seen a few trends come and go, LOL.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

prairiegirlz: Oops. I should not have said that about antique brass. What do I know? We had that everywhere before we remodeled, then when we remodeled, we did a combination of nickel and ORB everywhere. I guess it's a case of it was OUT for me. Sorry. It's a fine line sometimes what is "in" what is "out" and what is "vintage." We should all get what we love.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh, that's funny Oceanna! I was just looking around for an antique miniature grandfather, as she said she wanted to put a curio or something in that corner. The full size there does pull from the fp, but maybe a smaller one angled into the corner. Not sure what size the smaller ones run. Wouldn't have to be on the fp wall, maybe to the left when entering if there were room, although maybe the drape controls would be blocked. Of course, we don't want a tall object in each corner! : )

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I just knew that corner needed something. She already has a palm tree, so I figured a grandfather clock would do the trick. But you probably have better ideas -- go for it! I don't think she was impressed by mine anyway.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

She's got the thought now!