Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

cottage look? what color would you paint this table?

Boopadaboo
14 years ago

I am trying to get more of a cottage look going. I think I would call it that. I don't have any painted wood in my house, but I think I would like to add some. All of the trim, floors and doors are stained a med brown. My kitchen cabinets are dark brown and the couches in the family room are a dark brown right now too. The paint on the walls and the drapes will not change. I have the same color in the family room and the same drapes in the family room too.

What color would you paint the kitchen table? Would you paint the chairs too?

I am not sure I love the corner cabinets there, but if they stayed, what color would you paint them?

I currently am using fiestaware in sunflower, tangerine, shamrock and cobalt to go with the drapes. I am also planning on painting some baskets I have in the same colors as the fiestaware to put on top of the kitchen cabinets.

During the day the curtains are usually open.

Their are baseboards running in those corners so the cabinets are not flush against the wall.

I bought those corner cabinets for my last house. They are cluttering up the basement so I thought I would try them in the kitchen. If they dont work here I will probably put them on CL.

Comments (33)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There is really no room for those cabinets in that space. They are cute. Is there not room for them in another room in the house. Even using just one of them?

Is that a sofa in front of the counter cabinets? I would use a chair there instead in such a small space.

If you paint the table and chairs are you considering painting the kitchen cabinets also to continue with the cottage theme? I would paint a cream color so there is more longevity for when you repaint the wall or change the curtains in the nurture. A cream color table will make your dinnerware sing. Right now they probably do no show up much against the dark table.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't really think there is room anywhere else for them. We are trying to clean out the basement to make a play room.

We are not planning on painting the cabinets. I guess that is the question. Can you mix the painted furniture with the stained wood everywhere?

• emagineer
    14 years ago

I love your patterns and color. But wondering why you have drapes in there. The open doors make it feel so much larger. What is the space outside of the doors?

Not long ago I saw a covered patio that was redone with inside furniture and loved the results. I like your cabinets so much, would try and find a place for them. Even if you put them in the basement for toy storage/books. Unless you only have boys, which might cramp their style with flowers.

Someone will come along and make some great suggestions. Looking forward to comments and ideas.

• happyintexas
    14 years ago

My first thought was to paint the table the color of the inside of the shelves. Keep the black chairs...

That might be too much.

A lot depends on the mood you want. You might pick up one of the colors in the painted design or in the curtains...that pretty red, for example.

I have a small dining table in our breakfast area. Last year I painted it a deep barn terra-cottay red color. The intention is to get the chairs painted black...I'll get to that any day now. LOL I do love the deep red.

Remember, it's only paint. You can do it over if you don't like the first results.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is a sofa there too, forgot to respond to that. It is the favorite seat in the house, so I dont' think that will be going. It should be reupholstered though, the cats have done a number on it. :(

The reason for the drapes over the slider is I HATE a big black hole at night with no drapes. So all the drapes in the kitchen and family room are closed at night. And, well, I just love those drapes.

The room beyond is a three season room. There is furniture in there, it was just all moved to the side yesterday because I was bringing up a rug to put out there (didnt work out, it got damaged in a plumbing accident :( )

I was thinking of an orange color for the table, but maybe a darker orange.

Something like this (from my last house testing paint colors)

For some reason DH loves those two cabinets there. I dont really know why. Of course he thinks they match, I dont, and was thinking of painting them too, even though I do think they are cute now.

The chairs are currently a dark brown stain. There is just so much brown everywhere, I am looking to bring in some of the fiesta colors from my new plates to liven things up.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

First off, I am not sure if it's your camera or what, but the overall feeling of your room is dark and closed-in. That is probably due to the covered porch in front on the room. So bringing a lighter and airy palate would make a huge difference in the feeling of this room. I know you said you do not want to change the drapes, but I do think changing them or at least modifying the manner in which they are hung would make a huge difference. While your curtain rod is very pretty it is not centered over the slider. I am sure this is to allow for the stack back to go to the right so you have egress to the slider; however, there are some other ways to accomplish this--though it would mean loosing the cabinets. I don't think the cabinets work in your room anyway because it looks like they are obstructing baseboard heaters and sit out too far from the wall.

To get them to stack back to either side you would not be able to use the cabinets. This way when the drapes are open during the daytime, the stack back does not obstruct your lovely view. If you do this, you can do a center stack back to each side since it will clear the door. Here is a pic of my bedroom drapes that shows what I am suggesting.

We rarely use this slider so didn't stack fully to either side, though for yours I would suggest you stack back fully. What this means is if you have say an 6' slider then depending on thickness of drapes you need to allocate another 12-18" to either side of the door to clear the door when drapes are opened. So all total you will need about a 9' curtain rod centered over the window and about 9' width of drapes. Most likely you do not have that now. If you really like your drapes which you said match your family room drapes, perhaps you could purchase another panel or alternatively cut what you have in two (one for either side of the door) and layer it with some sheers in the center which you can open/close for privacy at night and daytime light/view/egress. So the pattered drapes will function as stationary panels and the sheers would be opened/closed. Since you said all you dislike is the black hole effect at night, perhaps the sheers would be enough plus have the advantage of a thinner stack back. You would need another type of curtain rod that allows for layered WTs. Again if you look closely at my pic above I did a layered treatment, though both layers are fully operable. Here is what they look like with the sheers closed:

That said, if you really want to use the corner cabinets, then I think you need to remove the drapes and replace them with another type of WT--perhaps with a set of outside mount woven or roman shades. However, it looks like the cabinets are butted against floor heaters and not just based boards which looks to set them out 3-4" from the wall. Since you say these cabinets have been cluttering up the basement are you open to painting and modifying them? I think they would look really cute painted a cream color (same as the table which dilly_dally suggested). I would also think about cutting off the lower parts of the cabinet and then wall mounting the uppers so that the floor area below is open--esp. if those are baseboard heaters in the corners.

Lastly, I agree with suggestions to remove the sofa and paint the table a cream color. Adding chair cushions would be a nice cottage look as well--perhaps in a red checked pattern.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"I was thinking of an orange color for the table, but maybe a darker orange."

I was going to suggest painting the table orange but thought better of it since most people on this forum are rather conservative in their taste and are looking for conservative advice. You need something lighter and brighter in the room.

What about painting the chandy a bright wacky color to coordinate with your Fiestaware? Right now the chandy seems heavy and castle-like in the small space.

When you said you needed to get the cabinets "out of the basement" I assumed it was a basement basement. If you are using it as a playroom why not just keep them down there for use?

I do love the above idea from valinsv of mounting the cabinets on the wall eliminating the problem of the baseboard heaters! I would not cut them. I would mount them as is. The height would bring the eye upwards in the smallish room.

If you really need the curtains there and keep the cabinets in the corner (mounted on the wall) I would put them on a diet. I would use half the material. Leave just enough so that the curtains have a tiny bit of fullness when closed. That way they won't bunch up so much when you have then open and it will also make the room seem bigger without so much folded fabric when they are closed. The bonus is you can use the removed fabric to make dinner napkins or placemats or something for your new orange table!

Would it be possible to mount the curtains on the other side of the sliders in the three season room? Sure it might be a PITA to have to open the door to close them at night but the benefits of having a dining room with more breathing space might make it worth it.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Y'all are awesome. At first I was thinking val was a little nuts. :) (mostly because I couldnt imagine telling DH I wanted to cut those things.) But Dilly that is brilliant. I was telling DH when he moved them up that if they stayed put he would have to anchor them to the wall anyway since we have a 10 month old and he could pull them over on himself. I also thought they were a little short to begin with.

I have to think about moving the drapes to the other room. It gets super cold (like 30 degrees) in there in the winter so we dont open the door for months usually. I do know what you mean that it is crowded with the drapes, but we dont use that half of the slider obviously, and the drapes are one of those things that makes me smile whenever I see them. Happy butterfly drapes. (think happy little trees) ;)

I think I like the idea of painting the light fixture. I dont remember how much we paid for it so DH probably won't either and honestly it is not a very well made piece. Kind of crappy.

OK - so I should have been clearer. I am going for more of a Aunt Jen kind of cottage vibe with accessories and pictures. I would like to leave the cabinets since we just had them stained a year or so ago.

I am thinking painting the table orange to lighten it up and then maybe the chairs different fiesta colors? I will get that loveseat/bench redone with new fabric when I find some I love that I think the cats won't love. It really is a great seat for lots of little kids and the big kids in the house really like it too.

• postum
    14 years ago

Hi there!
    You have lots of neat stuff. If this were my room I would:

1) make the *adorable* cabinets flush with the wall, either by mounting them on the wall or adding legs (feet?) to them. I love them painted the way they are.

2) Reduce the heaviness of the curtains. I would make them so they are just wide enough to cover the doors at night (with a few inches to spare.) I would probably shorten them as well. Though higher draperies are the trend, these kinda overwhelm the room. The fabric is so sweet! I see why you want to keep them. I would not use rings but just hang them on a simple (brass?)return rod.

3) I would paint the base of the table - orange would look fine I think - but leave the top of the table wood. That would tie it in with the rest of the room and I find wood table tops more durable than painted. I like the idea of painting the chairs in assorted colors, though I would leave one just stained.

4) The chandelier doesn't say "cottage" to me; it looks more transitional or modern. I wouldn't paint it; I would trade it out for something simpler and more traditional.

You have a really nice room!

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Didn't we have a thread not too long ago discussing staying on track re:the topic? Sorry, just had a flashback and as I remember, feelings were hurt unnecessarily.

Boo says she wants to paint the table and *maybe* the chairs, not paint the cabs, change the curtains, nor get rid of any other furniture or the light fixture.

I like the color that's on the inside of the corner cabs. I would leave the top as is, paint the table, and then do a glaze so the color doesn't look too flat.

It's a very pretty room, and w/o re-doing the whole space can get the cottage look with a couple of changes. ;o)

• happyintexas
    14 years ago

Yes, yes, yes, paint the table orange and the chairs various colors. I love it! Do it. I love the idea of painting the chandy, too. THINK of the fun you could have!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Patty, the only thing the OP stated was "The paint on the walls and the drapes will not change." So far no one has suggested painting the walls or changing the curtains to Romans. Everyone has worked within these confines with their advice. Things were going smoothly.......

In fact, the OP did ask "I am not sure I love the corner cabinets there, but if they stayed, what color would you paint them?" regarding painting the cabinets also. (I think the majority vote here is to keep them as they are since they are so cute.)

There is nothing wrong with everyone tossing ideas out for adding inexpensive bling to the room, especially since the OP seems to be receptive to creative ideas. Offering suggestions like mounting the cabinets on the wall will give inspiration and other ideas hence flow.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pattycakes - Thanks, it is true that many people don't like the extra ideas, and I did possibly give that vibe in the beginning of the thread, but I have learned you never know where things will take you and I am open to ideas. I dont mind repeating I won;t get rid of the sofa. I am sure it might not look fabulous, but it makes it such a cozy place to sit.

Anyone ever read the book on the editor for Home and Garden magazine? I will never forget what she wrote about dragging a sofa in to her kitchen and have wanted one in mine (or comfy seating) since I read it.

All that being said, I am now thinking of taking down the drapes! I do love them, but I have them on three windows in the family room, and I do like the cabinets there even if it is a little cramped or full looking. They really do carry the colors from the family room to the eat in kitchen area with out being totally matchy matchy.

That gives me the problem of what to put on the slider though. WHite won't work, and I am afraid off white will just look very stark considering the only other light color like that is the counter.

I also have a window over the kitchen sink and I was planning on having a roman shade made out of the same butterfly fabric. I picked my fiestaware to match them.

What color drape woudl I put in the kitchen? Still the butterfly fabric, or would I use the plain fabric from the slider? would it help if I had a slip cover made for the sofa out of the same fabric? Maybe a twill?

I love that picture of the orange table. I hear what everyone is saying about leaving the top of the table wood, but it is in terrible shape, and the extension doesn't match the rest of the table.

that light fixture really is castle. I picked it out liking it, but I do like castles! I never realized it, but it is true, it probably doesn't work in there even if it is ORB and round like the table.

Please keep the ideas coming. This has been so helpful!

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

"That said, if you really want to use the corner cabinets, then I think you need to remove the drapes and replace them with another type of WT--perhaps with a set of outside mount woven or roman shades."(not said by me)

"4) The chandelier doesn't say "cottage" to me; it looks more transitional or modern. I wouldn't paint it; I would trade it out for something simpler and more traditional."(not said by me)

Dilly, I can't speak for everyone, but *I* feel there is something wrong with casually 'tossing out ideas' after that horrible thread. From boo's initial posting, there was absolutely no way of knowing how she would react to off topic suggestions. I'm happy to read she doesn't have a problem, which gives 'permission' to speak freely. Until I read the words "i'm open to ALL suggestions" i'll personally stay on topic. Again, just needed to say what I was thinking. ;o)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Boo, right now you are suffering from "inspiration overload". All those great ideas............? Which one to go with..........? Or stick to the original plan...........? Deep breath. Rome wasn't built in a day.

You say you were inspired by Jen's kitchen/dining room. How about checking out some other inspiration photos online showing colorful cottage decor? Use your Fiestaware colors in the search terms. Maybe even use the search term Rosemaling to see rooms that have cabinets and furniture painted similar to your cabinets. Spend an evening with some hot tea browsing. Note what makes them work. Take notes. Bookmark great rooms.

For inspiration advice on how to blend the kitchen into the dining area more photos are needed. If you can make them a little lighter please it would help. The reason I asked about the sofa was that I could not tell if it was a sofa, a built-in bench, or just boxes in the foreground not meant to be in the picture.

With some of the unique features the room has like the cabinets it could be a great room.

• User
    14 years ago

Boop, I love the corner cabinets and it's funny how I too was going say to raise them above the baseboard heaters and to possibly add legs. Spindle ones would be really cute. Maybe even a "grill" of spindles across the front. Framed ofcourse. I love the way they are painted, though it's hard to see, I believe you mentioned the colors are not quite right. However you paint them, if you are going to display your Fiesta dishes in them, I'd make sure to use lighter shades of their colors. Which by the way are colors I would have chosen had I not decided to go the easy way and get all white dishes and add color with the serve-ware.

The stools below were from our last home, but still painted in the colors from that kitchen. They were black when I bought them and are black again. I thought you might get a kick out of them since they are in similar colors of your dishes.
    {{gwi:1647241}}
    And here's a few ideas for the table and chairs, though I know you are already thinking of painting it all orange, that might give you a little food for thought...
    {{gwi:1647242}}
    {{gwi:1647243}}
    {{gwi:1647244}}
    I do prefer all good wood stained, but if I don't know what the wood looked underneath the paint I do like the look.
    I still would recommend stained wood for your table top, knowing by what you said it will still need to be refinished, I say to give it a good sanding, possibly leaving some of the dark stain showing and then use a lighter stain or just poly to lighten up the room. That way your pretty Fiesta ware will show up better on it. They won't have the competition an orange table top would give them. The base however would look awesome orange and I'd love to see the chairs painted in the four colors of your dishes, but again in a softer/lighter shade.
    As for the curtains and rods, I'd keep them but shorten the width of the rods the width of the slider and maybe paint the rod and rings to match your Fiesta too! You could always change them out to sheers for the warmer months.
    In looking back at your photos again, I think I'd paint the corner cabinets the color of your walls leaving the insides as they are, if it matches your dishes okay. If not I'd choose to paint them in a coordinating color to the dishes.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

boopadadoo: I liked the suggestion above to put legs on the cabinets and then wall mount. That is better than mine of cutting them and would put them above the baseboard heaters which is what I saw as the main problem. Other option I was thinking was to notch them at the base, but couldn't see how the heaters would be effective that way. I apologize if I had made any suggestions beyond the scope of your project. I am curious to see how it will turn out. Aunt Jen has a lovely home--very colorful--and will enjoy seeing your progress.

patty_cakes: Unfortunately I did not follow the other thread you were referring to. I was in two minds about suggesting some changes to the WTs and certainly had no wish to offend. Since I know she wanted to keep the WTs I tried to focus most of my post towards hanging the existing WTs differently--such as centering the pole and/or layer with sheers. I guess I paid more attention to the pictures she posted which included several of the cabinets and WTs, both open and closed. Anyway I do not wish to digress from the OP's topic so that is enough said about that.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Darn it. I had a long post typed out and my computer blue screened. :( I will have to redo it tomorrow.

No more apologies. :)

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK - My son went to sleep early for some reason tonight. So let's see if I can do this again!

Thanksjustgotabeme - those are great inspiration pics.

Dilly-Dally, you nailed it again.

What do I love? you know what, it really isnt cottage pics that I have saved to my inspiration folder, it is "the layered look" Call me crazy, but I loved that PUG apartment.

So - that is the direction I need to go in.

Here are some pics of the kitchen and family room (and yes, I do need a new camera - they all come out dark for some reason) ....

So what do I need to do?

* mount the corner cabinets to the wall

*paint the table orange

*paint the chairs fiesta colors

*paint the tons of baskets I have in the basement fiesta colors for on top of the kitchen cabinets

* take down the drapes in the Kitchen eat in area (I have them on three windows anyway in the FR)

*Get a curtain made for the kitchen slider in a fabric like one of these....

*Get the same fabric made in to flat shades for the windows in the Family room to go under the drapes that are there now.

* get a slip cover made for the couch in the kitchen out of something like this....

*Get rid of the plain boring tan throws in the family room and get some that coordinate like this....

I can't really decorate on the surfaces of things becuase the 4 cats knock stuff over, so I need to do it with fabric I think.

* possibly get a rug for the kitchen eat in area

* look through my unhung art and see if I have some more that works in the family room to fill up the walls more.

I think that is the direction I need to move in.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Am I nuts?

Below are some inspiration pics

The problem is, I am also drawn to the simpler tone on tone rooms in the sense that I find them beautiful, and it confuses me sometimes, but that is not really the way I want to live, or how I think I would be comfortable.

• User
    14 years ago

Boop,if this is the style you love than go for it.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Ooooh, a voting thread!

"So what do I need to do?"

*mount the corner cabinets to the wall* Yes, go for it. Add feet to it like someone suggested so that the vents are blocked from view but still function.

*paint the table orange* Painting either the table or the chairs is a great idea. Orange is a good idea but give it some time to mull over the color choice because it is going to be a commitment.

*paint the chairs fiesta colors* Paint the table or the chair set. Since you are keeping the wood in the kitchen 'as is' you need some wood in the dining room to link it. Painting both would be too jarring and cluttery with the darker browns in the living room too.

*paint the tons of baskets I have in the basement fiesta colors for on top of the kitchen cabinets* N000OOoo.. This will not take you in the direction you say you want judging from the inspiration pics you posted. It would be too Country. Not Unique. They would get dusty and greasy in no time. Spend your time and money towards something else that will have more impact.

* take down the drapes in the Kitchen eat in area (I have them on three windows anyway in the FR)* You say you want drapes there for function. Don't do something solely for looks that will bug you by not functioning for your needs. For that layering look in decorating you want they would be perfect too. I think they could be cut down a bit though so they aren't so "bunchy". Adjust the rod too.

*Get the same fabric made in to flat shades for the windows in the Family room to go under the drapes that are there now.* Too matchy.

* get a slip cover made for the couch in the kitchen out of something like this....* Yes, a vivid floral slipcover that will stand up to the curtains without fighting them. Maybe not exactly that print, but something like it.

*Get rid of the plain boring tan throws in the family room and get some that coordinate like this....* No, go for something with even more pop like this:

{{gwi:1647261}} {{gwi:1647262}}

You can find unique handmade throws and afghans at Goodwill for a couple dollars. Some of them are just beautiful. Works of art. If second-hand does not appeal to you, Esty and eBay have hand made ones in an array of design and colors. Check your local church bazaars too. You don't have to stick to knit and crochet either, there are some quilts out there that don't scream "Country". Even condier wild things like fake fur throws.

*I can't really decorate on the surfaces of things becuase the 4 cats knock stuff over, so I need to do it with fabric I think.* It sounds like you have a good plan in place. Don't forget edgy things you can do like wallpaper the ceiling between the wood beams with floral wallpaper. This could bring in that "layering" look you like. Since you won't need much you may be able to get a few discontinued rolls cheap.

* possibly get a rug for the kitchen eat in area* Great idea for the layering look. Maybe hold off if there are young'uns eating at the table with the threat of spills and dropped food ruining it.

*Look through my unhung art and see if I have some more that works in the family room to fill up the walls more.* Perfect. Review "salon style" as a technique for hanging art in groupings. There was a thread here about how to achieve this look.

*I think that is the direction I need to move in.* You know what you like. That look can be had relatively inexpensively but remember that, that "Pug Apartment" was put together for a period of over fifty years. To achieve that find "collected" look it is going to take some time but the search for cool looking items for the home can be fun.

*Any suggestions or thoughts? Am I nuts?*

Don't rush it. Some of the things you need to do may require a huge commitment where as they can't be undone. For instance if you wish to paint your fireplace brick Cobalt Blue, it might be perfect, but you have to really, really be sure before you start bringing out the paint cans.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Ditto what dilly dally said...she has great thoughts for you~

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmm. OK. thanks for sticking with me Dilly and Justgotabme!

I am kind of dissappointed on baskets. I really had my heart set on it. :) I have to put something up there. DH keeps putting tupperware, napkins, papertowels up there and it is driving me nuts. I wonder how long it will take to paint baskets.

I hear you on the table and chairs. I would probably leave the chairs the same since they are in fine shape, it is really the table that needs work. I might get a glass top for it too. I would love chairs like this, but not in the budget!

Etsy is kind of expensive, but I did find some I like!

And I looked for some fabric on ebay....

I am going to have to find someone that can make slipcovers and some kind of shades. I have no idea how many yards I would need for a slip cover.

At least I am having fun again! :)

Anyone hae a favorite hot spot for reasonable (read cheap) fabrics besides Ebay, fabric barn, and fabric guru?

• User
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh Boop, where did you find those slipper chairs? If I'd not fallen in love with and bought new panels for the Ladies parlor I'd be so thinking I need those chairs! I have four chairs that need slip covered, but patchwork will so not work with the MCM look I'm going for.
    As for the afghans head out and get a how too book. I taught myself how to crochet almost thirty years ago. It's so easy. Not dropped stitches to worry about like in knitting.
    Both of the fabrics you found on ebay are so wonderful! I wonder if butterflies would look okay with my Canyon Leaves WTs. Butterflies like leaves. LOL
    Oh and are you talking about recovering the seats on your dining chairs? Easy peasy. Just need a staple gun.
    Check out the link below on how to use cheapy mini blinds to make Roman Shades with.

Here is a link that might be useful: No Sew Roman Shades

• postum
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry if my suggestions offended you boop! That was not my intention....

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

j'gotta'bme, what an awesome ides for the Romans! Definitely sounds like something I can so since I made the 'real' ones years ago, and used a plaid no less.

Postum, all's well as I don't think she noticed. ;o)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"I am kind of dissappointed on baskets. I really had my heart set on it. :)"

If your heart is set on it then definitely work them in! I can see colorful perky baskets up there working with the butterfly theme you seem to be drawn to in your fabric choices. (Excellent fabric choices BTW.) And if they will function as a place holder keeping family members from stashing junky stuff up there then go for it. (Your butterfly cookie jar collection up there can come later. ☺ ☺ )

You might be able to get a similar look to those slipper chairs just by whipping up a floral slipcover like the one below but in a vivid print. I can't tell from your photos if the chairs you have, have upholstered seats or are plain solid wood. Even just plain floral seat cushions can have some impact and help achieve the layered cozy look you are going for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Chintz Fabric

• les917
    14 years ago

Mounting the corner cabinets is a great idea. Unfortunately, you won't be able to put legs on them as the baseboard heating units will interfere once they are mounted.

I would paint those corner units a cream color, kind of like the countertops and handles in the kitchen. Paint the insides the same as the wall color, so they look even more built in.

I would paint the tabletop/apron the same creamy color. Leave the base and the chairs alone. By having the creamy top, your Fiestaware will really show off on the table. You can add a colorful mat or runner for times when the table is unset. If you like the idea of the glass on top, consider putting butterfly appliques or stencils on the tabletop before adding the glass. Just remember that may limit how you decorate the table for holidays, etc. What could be fun, tho, is to add those appliques or stencils around the apron of the table.

Do you need the leaf in the table for every day? Paint it so it matches, but I would pull that out if you don't need it all the time, and give the couch more visual and real breathing space. Plus, the round table will echo the chandy nicely.

For the drapery panels, I would find an orange fabric that you like, perhaps a very small gingham like this that will give almost a solid feeling at a distance:

orange gingham

You might have to line it for weight. Then use fabric from the existing drapery to band all around the panels. It will give a lighter feeling to the space, while still connecting to the other windows. I think the shade over the sink in the same fabric is fine, though you could do the gingham and just add a band of the butterfly drapery fabric along the bottom, or on all sides as well. Change out to a thicker rod that you paint the same color as the corner cabinets, and have the rods dead end into the cabinets, no finials or gaps.

Leave the chandy for now - it might not feel so bad once everything else is lightened up. In fact, it will bring some of the dark of the kitchen cabinets over to this space.

Slipcover the couch in cream make or buy, and do a mix of pillows made from the gingham, perhaps an orange and blue stripe or small pattern, and the drapery fabric. Colorful cushions on the chairs made in the same mix would be nice.

Bring in some more prints and perhaps some plates to hang on the wall in the style of your inspiration pix.

I would do the baskets if you want to - a little more color on the kitchen side won't hurt.

Paint out the brass screen on the fireplace to black. I would take down the painting, and replace it with a set of three or five butterfly prints,things that have a creamy background to separate them from the brick. Add a few Fiestaware pots or vases for color.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

That orange gingham idea Les posted would certainly keep the feel and give a nice counterpoint to the floral. It looks like it would add some brightness giving an uplifting feel and keep a relaxing casual feel if you are using colorful baskets.

These are on sale at Pier One. The rickrack gives them a casual look if you are not going formal in the dining nook.

Inspirational photo:

{{gwi:1647270}}

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am tempted to start a new thread but I dont want to bump anyone else. No more apologies please. Postum - I took no offense to your suggestions, I don't mind comments about the weather, etc.

Justgotabme - those chairs were from arhuas. I dont think they are selling them anymmore though. :( I think I missed a 50% off sale. You know - maybe I could make an afghan. The striped one really is my favorite. I could do that, right? :)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that no sew roman shade idea. I am for sure going to try that. thank you so much for posting it.

I like the idea of the cushions for the chairs Dilly. They are just plain wood right now, and I am sure that would make them more comfy too.

I agree Les - the table would be better without the leaf, and I got the light fixture thinking it would mostly be without the leaf, but it is a battle I don't care to continue with DH. :) We do need the leaf at least every other weekend and when have company, so he likes it to be there all the time.

I do absolutely LOVE the painting over my fireplace, but I think you are right. It is getting lost up there. I think I should find a place that shows it off more, and I bet I could find something better/brighter for over the fireplace. That is a great idea.

OK - so I need fabric for pillows, shades and a slip cover. I think it should be three different fabrics. I found some I love, that I think work better then the ones I found before. Anyone have a preference?

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 -

And a kind of kooky one....

8 -

• les917
    14 years ago

A neutral cream for the slipcover. Pillows in 2, 3, 4, 7, 8. I don't see 1, 5, or 6 working if you are going for bright and fun.

Shade, I still like the orange gingham with or without banding in the drapery fabric, or one of the pillow fabrics (perhaps the bright plaid #4 above.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL - Now that I realize the style I really love is the layered look, those are the exact ones I was thinking I like the best.

1 - for a slip cover. I just can't see a cream colored slip cover in an eat in kitchen area with 3 kids and 4 cats that like to hang out there. I feel like I would be washing it everyday.

Gingham to me just is a bit too country. I dont know why. I thought plaid would be better. I do like 4, but was thinking it might be too much behind the drapes, and that 6 might be a better match.

Maybe I need to keep looking.