Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

First time visit to IKEA - what do I need to see?

oldbat2be
10 years ago

Goal tomorrow is to pick up a bed frame for DD's room. This will be my first visit ever. Please post any recommendations of what not to miss. Thanks!

Comments (20)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Don't miss anything! Leave a huge window so you can go through the whole store. It's an experience!

• jennybog
    10 years ago

Dont miss anything!!!!Wish it was closer.I nearest one is 2 1/2 hours away.I am always looking for people who want to go.Anyone out there in Maine want to take a day trip?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Don't miss picking up a big yellow shopping bag so you can pick up a little something here and there...tell yourself it's for gifts for other people :)

The general idea is room displays, then kitch and bath, then all the small stuff.

Right now they have really nice Japanese inspired fabrics....I picked up a few yards for absolutely no reason.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

They have some cool textiles and rugs and accessories.

I must admit, too, I like their lunch; swedish meatballs and lingonberry sauce. A guilty pleasure.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

These are what drew me to Ikea the first time. I've got them on my outdoor shower; hooks for towels, bathing suits, etc.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Wear comfortable shoes. Take your patience with you and plan for more time than you think you need. There is so much to see and you'll get caught up in everything.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And expect to spend a lot more than you planned going in!

• sloyder
    10 years ago

be prepared to get lost! Even with all the quick exit signs, they have you walk the whole store to find your way out.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

sloyd, it's very confusing the first time at Ikea!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

The meatballs....

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Ikea is a destination and an adventure! There is so much that it can be overwhelming. I usually just walk thru the entire store and look for whatever may be on my list and bargains I didn't know I needed!

There have been many threads about Ikea - if you click on the link below you will find a recent one called "Please share your Ikea hits and misses" that has many ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea threads

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I agree with the other posters about the Swedish Meatballs!

Scroll down on the link below...you may be able to eat for free "Dine in our Restaurant and weâÂÂll deduct your Restaurant total from any home furnishings purchase over $150!"
    Offer is good for this weekend only.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea

• cawaps
    10 years ago

Ikea works really hard to make sure you don't miss anything, with a meandering floorplan that takes you through all of their room displays and vignettes. Then they take you through the shopping area for small items. Even if you want to take a shortcut to a particular section, you have to be pretty familiar with their stores to find them.

If you have anything particular in mind, bring measurements. A measuring tape and pencil and paper wouldn't hurt, although they usually have ones to grab there (stubby pencils and paper measuring tape).

Any of the larger things in the room displays, you will just write down the info and location of where to find it in the warehouse. Small things you can pick up along the way, especially once you get to the small goods area.

The food is really good and not too expensive. If you have any kid/grandkids/nieces/nephews/ friends with kids, the kids section has some cool stuff. I've gotten their multi-colored plastic dining set for a shower gift more than once--all my mommy friends had them--and I actually like the cup size for myself.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

Look at everything but be careful of impulse purchases. IME glassware breaks very easily and I've been disappointed with how fabric, incl. upholstery, holds up. Their fabric stains very very easily and covers do not wash well. I still love my POANG chairs but I wish I'd scotch-guarded them right after purchase.

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

Have a nice lunch. If you go early AM, break for lunch. If late AM or early PM, plan on lunch first.

And have fun!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Uh.....meatballs and horsemeat....not for me!

I always like to look at their dishes, glasses, and we found their 365 nonstick pans work really well on our induction cooktop.

They also seem to have a nice selection of interesting light bulbs if you are looking for energy efficient ones.

And I have one of their sheepskin rugs which feels so nice under my toes when I get up in the a.m.

Also be sure your first stop is at the restroom as, once you get in the maze, it'll take you quite awhile to find your way out again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horsemeat at Ikea

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think the horse meat misuse has been resolved. That was a year ago. I too cringed when I saw people suggesting the meatballs since I remembered reading something gnarly about them, but in looking it up, it looks like IKEA ix-nayed the orse meat-hay.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 9:21

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, one can only hope....

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Too late to help the OP, but I always stop in the scratch and dent section to see what is on sale. I have gotten a couple pieces there, well discounted - a medicine cabinet that had been a display piece, and a bookcase.

And their ginger cookies are good.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much all! I really enjoyed reading your comments and recommendations. On way home already. In and out in a little over an hour (we power walked through). It was fun to go through, but I wasn't overly tempted.

It was too early to eat, so we couldn't take advantage of the 'eat free' offer but I did pick up some nice treats to take home (Rosti, almond chocolate cake).

Thanks again!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida