Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreyrama

Need paint recs for a small guest North East bedroom?

audreyrama
10 years ago

Hi there,
I've been a longtime lurker on these boards. I was hoping to find or at least narrow down a paint color for a small (8 x 10) guest bedroom that will have a Queen size bed . The room gets lots of morning and afternoon sun. There's taller baseboard and crown moulding and trim around the WIndow.
I've picked a bedding I REALLY like,
Initially after reading on all the forums I narrowed it down to BM Provence cream or Philadelphia Cream. I also picked Benjamin Moore Chartreuse to maybe use as a accent wall as well as I love the way it looks with white trim. I love creamy light yellows but a lot of pictures i see online remind me of nurseries.
I picked BM Chartreuse as I thought it would be great to change out accessories and accents, pairs well with turquoise or fuchsia or black or white or brown. And we did end up needing a nursery in a couple years I could see it being used for either gender.

Husband and Reno guy have both vetoed the Chartreuse as Baby poop and Baby vomit respectively...sigh.
Does anyone have any suggestions to offer, at my wits end here. Husband didn't fight me on my fuschia room but says he will on this one!

Comments (24)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a wonderful fresh spring green to work with the pretty bedding -- and would be a GREAT nursery color too!

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Dark Celery 2146-10

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Agree w/husband and reno guy. The chartreuse looks a bit like baby poop and diarrhea.

I think Benjamin moore elderberry wine would look, and feel, amazing with that green on the bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elderberrry Wine

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 18:55

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

My bedroom is painted this Ben Moore Historic Color, which looks much greener in real life than on the chip.

Castleton Mist HC-1

Note at the bottom where is shows other colors that go well with it is an off white, 949 Sparkling Wine, perhaps close to your Provence Cream?

No, I just checked and Provence Cream is much more yellow. The green that the Ben Moore site recommends with it is 502 Grasslands. The upper part of my living room is Philadelphia Cream, and it takes on a very soft yellow look in some lighting conditions. The very pale green Ben Moore shows with that is 936 Meadow Mist.

Here is a link that might be useful: castleton mist HC-1

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both BM Celery and Elderberry vetoed.
    I've been asked to pick an off white or else the MBR wall color will be going on it. I picked BM Storm for that one but I really don't want the same color in both rooms.
    I do love the look of Celery.. I might be sneaky and do the accent wall in it but it might be war afterwards.

Anyone have any off whites to recommend? I'm not one to shy away from color but maybe I've reached the color tolerance level with hubby.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or, BM Blue suede Shoes

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

M3DOGS,
    Do you have a pic of your BR painted with Castletonmist to share?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I agree with hubby, reno guy, and Tib. both ends of the baby. I used SW Jersey Cream and it is a rich cream color but I have to tell you that the elderberry wine that Tib posted is luscious I just can't live with saturated colors they give me a headache. I painted the master bedroom at our secondary home a beautiful color named watermelon slice. The color is lovely but I feel so agitated when I am in that room that I can't wait to turn the light out. First figure out if you can live with intense colors, I have found to my dismay that I can't.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Especially in a bedroom, Holly-Kay. I put that wine and the blue up because I got the feeling that shannababy likes and wants bold colors. I do think those two colors would look amazing with that green, but I also agree that, for some, it might be too "hot" for a bedroom.

The bedding she's picked is so gorgeous, I'd hate to see it get lost in a wall color. I think the castle ton would clash with it and it wouldn't work. I think a very, very pale pink would look gorgeous, but perhaps too feminine or even nursery-like, and I suspect her husband wouldn't go for it. But that bedding evokes a garden, i.e.; flowers, skyâ¦so blues, pinksâ¦.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 19:21

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

So pretty, BM Lavender Secret

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

How about a pale gray?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Here is a corner shot which shows Castleton Mist well.

I'd probably take your duvet cover right to your Ben Moore store and in non-fluorescent light, pick chips that you can hold up to it to be sure the colors you choose blend well. My local Ben Moore store here in Maine is excellent at matching colors that are brought in. They do it BY EYE, and not with a machine! But many stores could hold your duvet colors up to their matching machine and do small sample jars of colors that they read from it.

Is the duvet cover white or an off-white?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

c2 852 Pearl

C2's colors are gorgeous..

Here is a link that might be useful: type in 852

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually can live with strong colors but I think I'd want something to complement not contrast the bedding so much.
    I didn't get a fight out of hubby when I painted the what will be a dressing room/craft room Fuschia including the ceiling.I think it looks fantastic, my husband wll admit he actually likes it. Can't find a link to the color anywhere and it photographs funny. CIl Exotic Bloom. Crappiest paint ever but NOONE could match it for me!!! http://encycolorpedia.com/a05888

I'm starting to think an off white or something Creamy will have to do (my husband will never go for pale pink).

The rooms gets lofs of natural light and the Window looks to our backyard with a crabapple tree in its view. I'm starting to think Philadelphia Cream is it. Provence Cream and Lemon Sorbet I think would be too yellow once I get it up there. I do need something that will bring all that crown moulding and trim out. I'm worried that if I pick a pale color then the trim won't be 'outlined' as much. I'll have to go look at chips of castleton mist, might be an option.
    I have a day to decide..

• User
    10 years ago

BM Summer Lime or Polar Ice are both green / yellow, the former is yellower, the latter is greener. But really, you are just going to have to get a few colors you like and try them. There's no way to recommend a color without seeing the actual room.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

My3dogs, I love the castleton mist on your walls. It's truly one of the loveliest greens I have ever seen.

Tib, I love the lavender secret too. What a soft, lovely color.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think the Castleton Mist is gorgeous, esp. with the gold curtains and the pictures and lamp my3dogs has with it. Perfect, in fact. Beautiful color scheme. However, I don't think it is right for the the bright blue-based green of shannababy's bedding. I think they'd clash, in fact. No? Hence my3dog's warm colors, the browns and golds, looking so beautiful with the Castelton Mist.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

What about the grassy green color in the pillows up against the headboard?

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately it looks like my bedding will not be here on time for me to pick a color from it dammit
    I've taken a couple picks but bc the room is so small its hard to photograph (smaller than 8x10,now more like 8x8 i think bc we had to take some of the room up for bathtub).
    My next post will have a pic of view from hallway, So technically, if I do paint that wall on the left of the window in an accent color, it can't be seen unless you step in it.
    I'm narrowing it down to for Philadelphia Cream on the walls I think and Cloud White Trim. I'm really leaning towards painting the ceiling Philly cream too. I really don't like white ceilings.
    I'm headed down to take a look at Summer Lime and Castleton Mist in an hour.
    Does anyone have anything else to recommend? I have serious color fatigue. Has anyone painted their ceiling philadelphia cream?

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry the bright sunlight is throwing off the pics.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

How about a monochromatic look (didn't read whole thread..sorry). 3 walls could be one of the lighter ones here with an accent wall darker. Add accent colors in strong pink or purple or whatever strikes you to add color layers.

I think in a NE room you really want to be as light as possible.

(obviously, many other tones and hues available... I just picked these as a starting point)

• massagerocks
    10 years ago

i have NE facing bedroom painted BM Affinity Vapor...its very light, almost white, but not. We've also used BM Affinity mascarpone which is a bit creamier, very pretty color

• hlove
    10 years ago

Look at BM Fine China. It looks sort of like French vanilla. It's
    on our kitchen walls against yellow cabinets and I really love the color.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

IMO the warm creamy colors are not such a great backdrop for all the white in the bedding. I would want more contrast, especially if you say there is white molding.

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've decided on BM Lemon Chiffon on walls and ceiling and Chantilly Lace for all the trim work.
    Chantilly Lace Trim will work with the BM Storm I've picked for MB as well so I can save some bucks.
    The translucent Blue Paint (came with house) that glows almost in the sunlight was growing on me the last few days but I can't figure out what it is. Paint was left for all the rooms except that one. I hated it when all the trim was painted that color but with the primed white trim in there I actually like it and it goes well with green shades, the previous owners left a Nursery valance that actually had chartreuse in it as well.