Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauragirl

Wallpapered Stair risers - Part II

lala girl
13 years ago

So about 6 months ago - I painstakingly wallpapered my stair risers - and loved them. After only 3 short months of enjoyment - my son accidentally kicked my super jumbo cup of coffee all the way down the stairs (yes, I definitely should NOT have left it there, I had set it down quickly one morning to help my other son in the bathroom...sigh.) Even though the wallpaper was polyurethaned, it was decidedly ruined. :(

I kept hoping I would stop noticing the brown streaks when I went up the stairs! I could not get motivated to tackle this project again. But then I fell in love with this intense wallpaper from Anthropologie and it gave me the kick in the behind I needed to motivate. It is a different approach with a little crazier paper. I know this is not for most folks, but thought I would share.

Anyone else find something recently that finally got you motivated to take on that tedious, time-consuming project?

PS No beverages at the top of the stairs from now on! :-)

Before the Venti Starbucks

After

Comments (25)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Awesome. We've yet to install our permanent stairs, I know...., and I've been wanting to do something other than just the stained wood on the risers. Never gave wallpaper a thought. I love it!

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

That really is so fun!! How does the paper hold up to toe bumps? Did I understand you correctly you put poly over the wall paper? Thank you for the inspiration!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Love it!

• Bethpen
    13 years ago

So Fun!

Beth P.

• bestyears
    13 years ago

I couldn't imagine this when I saw the title of your post, but I LOVE it! Nice job and good for you for having the guts to see it through. Sometimes it's hard for me to talk myself into something I haven't seen much of.

• User
    13 years ago

very pretty ! Never would have thought of it. I have painted risers and they are scuffed and not really very nice. You have me thinking now about trying to " doll " them up. c

• hlove
    13 years ago

Ooh, I love it! I, too, would worry about toe bumps, but I have really long toes, so maybe most people don't bump theirs :)

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi arcy - yes, I sprayed the paper with Krystal Krylon which kept them scuff-free but it could not stand up to all that coffee I guess. I can't decide whether to poly this paper or not - it is "scrubbable" (whatever that means) I will probably just wait and see how it wears - one advantage of the crazy pattern is that it will probably hide a lot more than the other white paper. :-) thanks for everyone's nice encouragement - I am just glad to cross this project off my list!

• woodchuck_mo
    13 years ago

What a unique idea! It looks great!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

OMG, I was just ogling that wallpaper yesterday. I think that design will be more forgiving, Venti or no. :-)

I have to say it is refreshing to see something new...a design idea I have not encountered before. Way to go!

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I love it, lovely wall paper.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I love it too, very cleaver and creative.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

they both look great! 2 totally different looks!

i would think they would be fine as are if it's scrubbable paper...that stuff is great! much more durable to scuffs than painted risers i would think! (our kitchen walls have always held up much better with scrubbable paper than paint...)

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

My goodness, what wonderful inspiration! I love the new paper! So unexpected but beautifully done!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I love both versions!

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Is there a special way to attach it to the risers? Mine are currently painted and I would like to give this a try.
    Luckily, I rarely if ever go upstairs, so they won't get much abuse from foot traffic.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

That's such a great idea! What a fun and lively staircase; I love how it adds a great punch of color in an unexpected place!

• bananafana
    13 years ago

Oh wow! That's great looking!

• Pipdog
    13 years ago

What a creative and inspirational idea! I wish we had stairs in our house -- if we did, I would love to do something like this.

Sorry 'bout the coffee spill, though. Sounds like something that would happen in our house!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

So pretty! I love both wallpapers, but the color in the Anthro wallpaper is just making me smile. Love!

I need to get cracking on my staircase makeover soon. I'd love to be able to use your staircase photo as an inspiration pic on my blog when I do my makeover. Let me know if it's OK. You can e-mail me privately or respond here.

• User
    13 years ago

Wow, that looks amazing. Honestly, I never opened this post because it just sounded so weird to me. But, I sure am glad I opened it now.

And, of course, you've got me thinking...I have a lot of left over beadboard wallpaper. I wonder how that would look on my basement stairs, painted a fun color maybe...

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for being so nice (my lower back is just now recovering from this project!)

Jeannie01 - In terms of attaching the paper to the risers, you do it just like you would a wall. You can use straight up wallpaper paste or get pre-pasted paper, then do the normal wallpaper process (soak, block, etc..)

One thing to keep in mind - generally a stair is wider than the wallpaper roll. For my first project (with the circles) I picked a paper with a pattern that could go horizontal - this meant that I would simply cut strips lengthwise and then mount them on the horizontal for each riser. Does that make sense? There are not a lot of papers that can easily go horizontal, but some do - and it is a ton easier.

For my second round of papering, the pattern cannot go on the horizontal so I had to paper each step with two separate pieces of wallpaper and match up the pattern. Not hard to do just a little tedious. You also need to be aware of how the pattern marches up the stairs and not get off kilter.

Laxsupermom - you can totally use the photo, if you google wallpapered stairs - there are tons of fabulous pics. The black and white floral stairs from ferm living were my initial inspiration - love them!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow. I never would have come up with the idea of wallpapering the stair risers. Both before and after pictures look amazing. But the new paper looks stunning and really works well with the wall paint. I'm impressed.

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Fascinating! Both patterns are/were beautiful and very creative.

• User
    13 years ago

wow, very cool idea. I love it