Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4boys2

'ballardized' or just a piece without a father ?

4boys2
14 years ago

I'm really looking forward to trying the "ballardizing" that rjinga did on her lingerie chest ....Could anyone show me their pics and the type of black paint used...??

And rjinga love how yours turned out ..Much luck in selling it..

The reference in the titled refers to a friend mine that couldn't understand why I would want to bastardize a pc of furniture...

Comments (6)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

LOL that's funny. Did you do a search to see the instructions that was posted on rjinga's thread?

• rjinga
    14 years ago

Forboystoo, thanks for your comments, I am very pleased with how it turned out and got many compliments from fellow dealer at the mall.. and I hope to sell it quickly.

I'll summarize what I did to it.

I had pretty much raw wood, I did NOT prime it, I used a flat black paint, several good coats, very light sanding in between coats, but only in areas where it needed it, not the whole thing. I then used a very fine sand paper and by hand using small pieces of the sand paper, I rubbed off random edges and knobs to expose the wood. Then (after trial and error ;) I rubbed in brown shoe polish with a soft rag, where the wood was exposed, carefully applying it to just the wood area, and NOT on the paint, although I'm sure it may have occasionally gotten on the painted areas too.

I then finished it with Tung oil, rubbed on by hand with a lint free rag. I followed the instructions on the can and applied this stuff like you were waxing a car, circular motions etc. I did 2 coats of this, letting it dry overnight between coats.

That's it.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Even though this is from raw wood, let me say, fabulous, thanks for your concise process, rj!

• 4boys2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Rjinga, I can't wait to get to Home Depot to pick-up the supplies.I've always been the one to paint every pc of furniture shabby white. Since I've seen your "ballardized" pc I look around my house and see that I could really use a pop of something else..
    Thanks again for the very detailed instructions !!

• rjinga
    14 years ago

I want to share a site with you (or a blog, not sure what it's called) this is a local Atlanta lady who advertises her stuff on CL, I just happened upon one time searching for treasures and dreaming I lived closer to ATL ;)

she is very talented and her pieces (be sure to look in the section under "sold" or gallery?), where you will see some really great repainted old pieces that she has already sold, it will inspire you and give you some great ideas for your similar projects. I emailed her and told her how much I loved her work and also how amazed I was at how she kept repeatedly finding these really special pieces of old stuff to redo. I have not been that lucky. I need to move to Atlanta.

Anyway, I'm not related to her or the site in anyway, but she really is talented and it's fun to see different ways to give pieces a shabby look without always using white.

www.rethunk-junk.com (be sure to use the hyphen or you get some other similar type site, but not hers.

• polly929
    14 years ago

How I wished I lived in GA- that lingierie chest would be perfect in my DD's bedroom. For those prices I could probably find a spot in my home for every piece she has for sale!