Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

What Would You put under these Wall Shelves?

ms222
11 years ago

So I can't figure out what to put under these wall shelves, my girlfriend who lives with me loves the wall shelves on the wall so taking them down is not an option. The wall that the shelves are on is 94" wide. Any suggestions? The pictures are taking from my walking in through my front door just to give persepective, so that wall with the shelves is one of the first things you are drawn to.

Comments (20)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would say more shelves, or a narrow console table or cabinet for storage.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My first thought was a console table or cabinet, but with the wall being 94" it is hard to find one large enough!

• jakefield
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I would definitely look for some kind of long storage cabinet to put under the shelves. Don't rush. Just keep your measurements in mind and your eyes open when you are out and about. The right piece will show up.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

I also think a console table or long low dresser that can double as a console, or even a buffet would work there. However, I think the shelf on the left is too close to the corner of the wall that adjoins the dining room. Ideally you'd get the console table and then arrange the shelves above it, rather than vice versa. That way you can make sure they are appropriately spaced for the height and width of the table. Maybe once you find an appropriate piece of furniture, your GF will reconsider if they need to be rearranged slightly to look their best.

• sameboat
    11 years ago

A library table or a long bench? Bookcase, lamp and a chair? A cabinet with storage underneath?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Is there anything you would need there, e.g. storage for gloves, scarves, hats, keys, mail, shoes?

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any visual examples? I can't move the shelves because the walls have a very intense texture that is hard to replicate and the holes from the shelves are big so it would look bad patched.

I feel like if I just put a 40-50" console in the middle it might look weird with the shelves extending all the way to the ends of 94" wall.

I was looking at a console similar to this:
    http://www.wayfair.com/Bassett-Mirror-Patinoire-Entertainment-Console-T1792-590-BMR1169.html

It would match with my dining table. Any thoughts or suggestions/visual samples?

Here is a link that might be useful: Basset Console Table

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, it will be less effective unless whatever you put there acts as a visual base for the length of the shelves. So whatever is under them should be as wide as they are, or very close to it.

I would suggest a bookcase under the single shelf, tall enough to come within a few inches of the height of the lower of the pair. Then a simple table under the pair, at normal height (usually 29-30"). I'd paint both of them the same color - white like the shelves, or in the cobalt or emerald of your bowls.

I would put a slender lamp on the table to light the shadowy corner and give you a bright beacon to come home to.

Then perhaps a tall narrow basket under the table for whatever you need to toss in there - trash from fileting the mail, or dog leashes and equipment, or whatever suits the way you live.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,

Thank you for the idea...as a matter of fact that might be really nice. I'm not the best with design or anything so this site really helps. I'm going to post the setup that I like once I find it, and let me know what you think!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

You could make a long modern shelf (black?) across the bottom, for a large LCD tv. You might also remove the shelves and do a built-in look Ikea bookcase hack.

Here's an example of an Ikea hack. They use bookcases for them.

These might be two cabinets put together with glass on top:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea hackers

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:16

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I will not be using it as a TV area though.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bronwynsmom do you think that the color has to be white? Not maybe black or some type of brown for contrast? If it was white, what do you think about this combo:

http://www.wayfair.com/Hokku-Designs-Celio-Three-Tier-Bookcase-Display-Cabinet-in-Matte-White-NBS-162XIU-KUI2111.html

And

http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Style-Sandor-Console-Chrome/dp/B0043TJY2Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_1
    (The pure white glass version)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bookshelf

• Olychick
    11 years ago

This isn't a great perspective, but I'd think about putting a small, very clean lined sofa or loveseat or upholstered bench there and fill out/balance the arrangement of shelves with a painting or interesting mirror.
    A small end table to the left could be under that shelf closest to the corner and it would look deliberate.
    Your shelves seem high enough that they wouldn't be a head banging danger.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Olychick thanks for your thoughts. What do you mean by balancing the arrangement of shelves with a painting or interesting mirror? Where would I have room for that?

The sofa or bench idea is not a bad idea either, but the shelves are not too high, the one on the left is 65" high and the lowest one on the right is 55" high. Therefore the couch just cant be placed literally on top of the wall.

I'm just kind of torn with this space and can't figure out what would look best given the decor of the rest of the room which I tried to picture in my original threads.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

What was your final decision on the placement of your chairs?

When I was looking at your shelves and imagining a table or low dresser there, I was thinking there would be a space below the shelves that could handle a piece of art maybe even standing on the table, leaning on the wall. Or a mirror.

When I started thinking about a low couch, I didn't take into consideration the back of the couch would be higher than a table would be, thus my erroneous suggestion about balancing the space around the shelves.

Could you place your chairs in the space and imagine they were a solid piece of furniture (maybe cover them with a sheet) and see how it would look?

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80135298/

How about 3 of these under the shelves. They would completely fill the 94 inch wall.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

How about a console or console table under the right shelves and a large plant under the left?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I like the idea of the three posted by k9arlene better. I think the two things from Hokku are not as good together as they are separately, and the bookcase, while attractive, is "a lot of look" for the space.

The Ikea triplets are compatible with your scheme, and you could use any of the three colors they come in. Then a tall lamp toward the corner, like the ones below from Overstock, and a container of some kind beside it to collect mail and keys and the like under the pair of shelves.

And to balance the whole wall, a large framed graphic under the high shelf - perhaps a piece of Marimekko fabric, a square of wallpaper, or a reproduction of one of Josef Albers' color studies? Because the space is low, an actual image or a mirror would be problematic, since the center wouldn't be at eye level if you're older than eight ...

Lamps from Overstock:

One of countless Josef Albers images - Google "Albers interaction of color" to see more.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Bronwyn should be charging all of us, of at least telling us what charity we should donate to in her honor. Love the lamp.

I would veto any sort of seating. Whether you would or not, I hate seating that makes you fear hitting your head when you get up ...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Bronwyn should be charging all of us, of at least telling us what charity we should donate to in her honor. Love the lamp.

I would veto any sort of seating. Whether you would or not, I hate seating that makes you fear hitting your head when you get up ...

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022