Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdrive

Painted wood furniture

mdrive
10 years ago

I've been looking at this "harbor blue" bedroom furniture from C& B and wonder if it is just 'trendy' and will be a regretful decision...i've seen it in the store and it is really striking....yet i worry this might end up as a questionable purchase because the color isn't 'neutral'

more and more I am really liking painted furniture....i think it is because i have hardwoods throughout, and too much 'wood' (furniture) looks sort of depressing...

i actually have a fair amount of painted furniture, but it is mostly cream and white....what do you think?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/harbor-blue-bed/f55363

Comments (14)

• mdrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

strange, the edited version had the piece in question but has now disappeared...try again

• crl_
    10 years ago

I really like paint pieces. I tend to prefer them mixed in with wood pieces, usually just one paint piece in a room as I think of them as focal points (With the exception of a white or cream bedroom set).

I love that bed. Have you been drawn to that kind of color for a long time?

You wouldn't be able to turn that into a wood finish piece, but you could change the color with paint someday if you were tired of the color. So it's not a totally irrevocable commitment.

Not sure if that helps any.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Pretty bed. I had the same thought as cry. You can always sand it, prime it, and paint it another color in the future. Painted furniture has been around since paint was invented.

• mdrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi crl...

yes, the deep teal has always been a real favorite of mine for many many years....this set also comes in white...you can't really tell from the pic, but the finish is somewhat 'antiqued' in that you can see the brown finish peeking out on the edges (in both the white and teal)..

i think the bed in this color is definitely a 'statement' piece, and i doubt i would pick the coordinating pieces (bedside tables and chest) ....then again, *maybe* one piece....

you're right it could be repainted at some point, but this color really 'sings' to me...i find it calming yet still vibrant

• mdrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tibbrex....yes i agree....i'm wondering if the painted furniture trend is more or less here to stay because of the wood floors? iow....i find myself edging away from wood tones on my furniture because i have hardwood floors throughout? most of the painted pieces i have, master bedroom armoire, foyer table, and some misc. tables are antique look white/cream pieces...i'm ready for some color!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I say go for it. It makes your heart sing and you will always regret not buying it. I have a beautiful painted wood bedroom suite that is at other home. It belonged to my DM and, imo, is very beautiful!

• mdrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you holly kay! yep, it makes my heart sing...that color is just so intensely beautiful to me....if i bought it, i'm thinking the bed, and the chest and maybe some type of metal night stands...it's not a super pricey bed...around $1100 on sale, but that color really makes it special, imo

• User
    10 years ago

Painted furniture is not trendy.

• mdrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

guess i've been around long enough to think it might be....

most hard case furniture i've seen in years past was stained wood....

ALTHOUGH...i have a beautiful foyer chest that is painted with a stained inlaid top that is painted and is as beautiful today as the day i purchased it!

while painted furniture may not be 'trendy' my thinking is certain colors might be, hence my concern about the blue/teal bed....but i really love it and as was pointed out, you can always repaint should you tire of the color

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It really is beautiful and I love the color. I think it is a classic, timeless piece that you will enjoy. Yes to the bed and chest with different nightstands. I love bachelor chests used for nightstands because you can stow a lot in them but metal stands also sounds great. Please post photos when it's all in place!

BTW Frontgate has beautiful bath towels in that lovely teal shade. It's a stunning color!

• mdrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay...i'm just *this* close to purchasing this bed and at least one co-ordinating piece....i'll be sure to post the bed in place if i pull the trigger...of course with this color, i'm looking at new wall color, drapes, bedding etc...lol...

i have to admit i like the idea of chests for bedside tables as well, especially in the room i have in mind, since it is smallish, and any bit of extra storage is a plus...however...this brings to the fore the issue of painted furniture and co-ordinated pieces...unless you go matchy matchy, be prepared to look long and hard for pieces that co-ordinate..of course that can also be said of wood stained pieces as well if you are going for a 'collected' look....very time consuming!

• lovestowalk
    10 years ago

I have that C&B bed in the white color. We have a very small master bedroom (our architect called it a sleeping chamber) and this bed (queen) is perfect. It did not come in the blue at that time we bought ours or I might have chosen the blue!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

As others have said, painted wood gives you a lot more flexibility in the future. If you've liked the color for a while, I'd go for it.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

That's a great looking bed! I'm not really a blue person, but I could have that bed. I wouldn't necessarily get any other matching pieces, preferring to mix it with natural woods. You could repaint it if you ever tired of the color, but it sounds like that's not likely for a long time. That's my kind of bed.