Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Outrageously priced tile, need to find less expensive version

chloenkitty
10 years ago

I fell head over heels for this marble tile. I will have my own bathroom in our new build and want it to be feminine. I plan on white cabinetry with pretty chrome fixtures, marble vanity top, white subway tile in shower (with some yet to find tile accent). I knew this tile would be pricey, but yowzers, it's $220 a sheet!!! For my 8x13 bathroom, I think it came out to $22,000!!! Even if I was wealthy, I don't think I could justify that price.

I live in an area that only has stores like Home Depot and lowes (boo hoo) so I have to shop online or out of town for anything different or a bit more upscale. If anyone knows of or finds anything feminine like this for my floor, I'd appreciate it. Been sticking to marbles, but don't necessarily have to, but I want something white or gray.

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 18:25

Comments (11)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is similar to how my bathroom will be done, but on a smaller scale.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tile on the bottom left in the pic I already have purchased for our powder room. I was thinking of maybe ordering more and putting this in my bathroom and maybe getting a small hexagon shaped carrera marble instead for the powder room. Thoughts? Thank you

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the flower tile you posted first, but I have to say that I like the bottom left on pic 2 more because it's geometrical and Aescher like (round and flower). I find it more interesting but classic and less frilly.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I love the bottom left. I think you have the right idea - order more and put that in your bath and find a different one for the powder. Carrara hex is very nice.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

One thing you could try is to make an "area rug" out of your favorite floor tile, and then use something less expensive everywhere else (eg the perimeter and under tubs, etc). I've always liked that look. For example, you can 12" get white marble square tiles from HD for $4 a sq foot, which is dirt cheap. The quality is poor, meaning a lot of variation, but you can return individual tiles, so as long as you are willing to sort through them, you can get a good end result. We did this for a 3rd floor guest bath in our last house.

For your splurge tile, Ann Sachs and Akdo are good places to look on line. A really nice subway tile (flat, like vintage subway), and not puffy, is by Subway Ceramics. You could also, esp with your style home, do a wood BA floor. That's what I put in my bath, because I was willing to baby it if need be.

Have fun!

PS, Unless your powder room is very large, i would still use something unique there. Usually the savings is not terribly great for a space like a PR.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest as mtnrd did only you can use the deco tile as a border so you need even less. You can do the outline for a rug in the deco tile, do the floor square and inside the border on the diagonal. Or you can make a contrast "rug" like a darker gray tile inside the border and lighter tile outside, or vice versa.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I love the bottom left as well. What is the name and brand if I may ask?

Beautiful inspiration pic.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have seen what you mean about "rug" tile on pics in houzz and do like it. The third pic I posted of the tile i already purchased for the powder room, I was going to use a light gray grout. For anyone that has marble floors like this with grout. Is it hard to clean and keep clean?!

I added a pic of tile I was first thinking of which kind of has that rug affect. I wanted to accent my bathroom in a pale green and loved this Sarah richardson bathroom, but was thinking more all white would be more classic and versatile. This ming green is lovely though.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the type of sink I have planned for the powder room. It's a 6x6 size, so not much room for anything but the toilet and sink. Figured I'd get a pretty mirror, 2 sconces and a ceiling light. Is that too much lighting for a powder room? This is where I was going to put that tile I already purchased, but if I use it in my bathroom, how about a hexagon carrera for the powder room?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think that is too much light at all... esp if dimmered.

As for your ming green question, i do agree that all white is more timeless, but if there are just hints of the blue or green I think you are fine. Of course, again, you can break the rules in a "her" bathroom and use a lovely persian rug instead.

To me, id go with bling in the PR, since you only need 6x6 ... again can do a bling carpet or bling border.

Or, if you want to keep the cost very low in the PR, I think HD and or Lowe's has marble hex IIRC; I know they used to have a marble basket weave at least. Another great classic.

Or if you want a retro look like the photo above, try American Restoration Tile.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm willing to spend more in the powder room for two reasons, it's a smaller room :) and this is what guests will use when they come to our house so................if anyone has any suggestions or pics for choices, I'd love that! You guys are all great and I love the help. You think you know what you like and want, but when building, it's just so overwhelming, you have to pick every single thing! It's stressful, but fun :)