Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irislover7b

how do i make gesso frame look old?

irislover7b
15 years ago

I have an old picture frame with gesso floral decoration. The gold on the gesso was redone at some point, and has a "flat" look, instead of being darker in the crevises like an old one would normally be, from age, dirt, etc. I put some rub-n-buff on it on the high spots. The rub-n-buff perfectly matches the existing gold finish, so it didn't help. Is there something dark that I can wipe on, then off, that will make it look older?

Comments (8)

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Have you tried shoe polish yet? The stuff in the flat tin, not the sponge applicator. :o)

• irislover7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, I haven't tried anything yet because I didn't want to mess it up. I thought there might be something at Michael's that would do it, but I can try shoe polish.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I don't have an answer but have similar questions can you take before and after photos to show? and what is a gesso frame, exactly?

• lsst
    15 years ago

If I buy a gesso frame that has been redone in a solid gold,
    I use a dark brown or I mix a dark brown and black ( it depends upon the look I want) glaze.
    I use a sponge to wipe the glaze in the crevices and immediately wipe it with a damp cloth over the surface.
    The darker paint stays in the crevices and the gold stays highlighted. If the paint dries too quick and it stays on the raised area, I then use an antique gold Rub and Buff to highlight the area.

• irislover7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I have some dark brown glaze but didn't even think about using it. I'll try it.

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

lsst is exactly right. This is how I've aged some very intricate designs on frames, embossed pieces on furniture, etc.

May I add though....use a dead-flat sealer on your item first.

A dead-flad sealer brushes on easily, is water-based, and it will protect the original surface.

Once you apply the dark glaze, using the sealer first, you won't have too much dark glaze sticking where you don't want it.
    The dark glaze, using the sealer first, comes off so much easier with that slightly damp cloth.

This comes from experience.
    Not using a sealer first, but using a dark glaze over heavily embellished gold frame.
    The frame was old and porous and sucked up way too much of the dark glaze.

Using a sealer on the second frame, I had lots of control over the glaze...how much I wanted to keep, how much to remove.

The Dead-Flat sealer will not change the finish. Whereas a sealer with any gloss, will.

• lsst
    15 years ago

amity,
    Thanks for the tip on the sealer.
    Do you have a brand you recommend?
    lsst

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

Hi lsst,

I have been using PolyVine.
    I had been purchasing it for several years from a guy on Ebay for $7 a quart.

I went to buy some around Christmas-time and found he was no longer on Ebay so I haven't experimented with any other brand yet.

But I hear Adicolor has a good dead-flat and so does Faux Effects.

I haven't ventured out to see if I can find anything similar at a paint/hobby/craft store yet. I'm hoping...as I hope to find a dead-flat a little less expensive as I use it for so many things.