Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Is this door a good choice?

chloenkitty
10 years ago

Attached is a pic of the door I am thinking of for our new build after all the help I received on this forum. not necessarily the color pictured, but the style with the sidelights. Does this go well with the house style? I do like something with a lot of glass as well (like half or almost all the door) even when it has decorative metal in the glass, but I must admit, I do like to be able to peek out the window to see who it is and if I want to answer lol. An all glass door may not be good for that. I also have a little paranoia about glass being more easily broken into.

Please let me know if this style works with this house and I welcome ideas. Thank you

Comments (16)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those who may not have seen my other post, here is the house.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another style i like. The sidelights may be too busy, however. If I went with something like this, I may consider the sidelights plain. Yes? No?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think it's perfect, and gorgeous. Don't like those lights, though.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Definitely the first door, IMO.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't either Tibbrix, just looking at the doors for now. At least I have some picked out. Am I silly for worrying about glass in the doors for break ins? It's a very nice neighborhood, but that means nothing anymore :(

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Depends on where you live, I suppose. But I seriously doubt it's something you should think about at all. For one thing, if someone really wants to get into you're house, they'll find a way. They can break a regular window as easily as a glass panel alongside a door.

My advice would be to not mar your life with such worries unless they are grounded in reality, i.e.: there is a high crime rate in your area, which I doubt.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now this is stunning!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Egads. that IS stunning! That one gets my vote in a big way.

With that door, you definitely do want a bolt which requires a key so that, even if a window were broken, they couldn't reach in and unlock the door.

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

I agree with you and Tibbrix..the last door is the best looking of all the doors!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I personally like the last one but the first one is a very emphatic statement.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the last one, but don't think it's in the running. Too much glass :(

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

It does not matter how much glass you have. Meaningless for security, unless you want to build a bunker that is all clerestory.

The first one, sans sidelights IMHO. It's a nice house, don't trick it out. Go with simple styles that are very good quality material and that will look best.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

The first one would be beautiful on your new home! # 3 is nice, but doesn't seem as if it would complement the rest of the home like #1 does.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the first one the best. I think it's more straightforward with the vertical pattern rather than the raised panels. Also don't like the patchy staining on door 3, but I guess that could be changed. Door 2 is too frilly.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, door number 1 it is. What was the name of that game show lol where you picked the door? haha Anyway, I think I may get that door and have it painted red and get the same door in wood stain (don't know what stain color yet) for the mudroom door and matching garage doors. The only question left is whether or not I get the sidelights or not. If I don't, the door will probably be a larger than standard side door. Thanks everyone! The exterior color , shingles and windows are next. Is this right forum to post these questions on or should I be posting them in new build? I thought home decorating probably got more views.