Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedo_gw

Another Allure (vinyl wood) flooring ? with PICS

dixiedo
16 years ago

OK, OK... I know the subject of vinyl wood flooring has been hot and heavy in this forum lately, but I got a sample of it over the weekend and have to say I like it VERY much.

Our 7 year old homes carpeting needs to be replaced STAT. 4 kids, 2 adults, one very shed-y black dog, ugh, it has seen MUCH better days.

In a perfect world, I would have 1500 sq ft of solid 3/4" brazillian cherry installed. But alas, my world is not *quite* perfect, and I do have a budget.

I would MUCH rather replace the carpeting with the wood-like vinyl for two reasons... 1) I like the look of it over crappy, matted, stained, hairy carpet, and 2) it would help with mine and DDs allergies quite a bit I imagine.

Here is a picture of it next to the wood from our staircase, and it is a wonderful match:

My question:

Am I crazy for doing this throughout our entire 2nd floor (4 bedrooms and 2 full baths)?? And will I be having to add some sort of carpet allowance to a potential buyer when we sell in possibly 2 years??

In any event, the old carpeting needs to go...

Comments (9)

• jeanim
    16 years ago

I have the vinyl wood flooring and love it! I did the entire house with the exception of the master bedroom and guest bedroom. I've had it about a year and a half now and it looks as good as when I got it.

Mine is the Novalis planks.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I'd go ahead and do it. I can't imagine it would detract from the value of your home any more than stained, allergen-heavy, out-of-style W2W carpeting would. But you DO need to know what your local RE market is like, if you are serious about selling in such a short time. Here, it would be an upgrade - sellers buying starter homes where I live want anything EXCEPT carpeting; young people generally don't like it. Wood is preferred, but wood-look will do almost as well.

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our housing market is one of the few that hasn't gone ANYWHERE for several years.... our 3000 sq ft 7 yr old home would go for around 300K. It definitely isn't a starter home by any means, those are about 100K or less.

I think we are going to do it, I am so done with the yuck.

• graywritingdog
    16 years ago

You may have some people who will try to use this a bargining tool when you sale. People do like wood and laminate is sometimes not "good" enough for some people. Me personally I would choose that over carpet.

If I were paying $300,000 for a house I wouldn't be expecting vinyl, but we may have diff markets. At that price in my area it would be an almost custom home with grainte counter tops and hardwoods/tile throughout.

But if you are going to be living there atleast a few more years I would go for it, because stained, worn carpet is going to turn off alot more buyers then vinyl flooring.

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is what I am thinking... I would rather have this stuff in my house for the time I live here (who knows, maybe we'll be in here for the long haul) over the yucky carpet, and deal with potential buyers if/when the time comes. I think they would rather see somthing clean and stain free over the worn down builders crap they put in.

Gray, where do you live?? Sounds like an even better market than what we have!! For 300K you could get a custom home with granite/hardwoods throughout, but it would only be about 1500 sq ft. For my size home, it would be around 400K+ or so.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

dixiedo, put down the vinyl and worry about resale when the time comes. You have to live for now and I'm with you 100% in getting rid of the nasty carpet. Carpet is dirty and anything solid would be better.

• graywritingdog
    16 years ago

I live in south west Va. The average home price is under $100,000 and $170,000 will buy you a remodeled house with alot of upgrades and $200,000 can get your into a new construction home and with the advailable upgrades you can get hardwoods, grainte, and tile. Of course all those extras will bump up the sale price to around $300,000 maybe alot less depending on how much you want to spend.

We are looking to buy a nice home around 2000 sq ft. My husband wants some land with it so our search is going to be a difficult one to get the home I want with the ammount of land that he wants.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I have been thinking of vinyl wood also but wonder if it outgases like some plastics do that bother me.

$254,000 in my area buys a one bedroom condo with a kitchen too small to eat in, a small dining room, a small living room, one small bedroom, and one small bathroom.

I know one townhouse owner who sold her townhouse for over 1/2 million dollars 2.5 years ago in my neighborhood who had pergo floors in her living room that were gorgeous. Her home sale helped my appraisal when I was refinancing.

I wonder if Pergo outgases? I have allergies to certain plastics that outgas like vinyl shower curtains and allergies to particle board. But I want wooden floors but I fear them getting ruined by my little dogs and my home office traffic.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Dixiedo,

I'm glad you asked because I'm tempted to do the same thing. I put Novalis in my kitchen and I love it. It's so easy-care and it looks so rich and warm. What do you plan to do about the staircase?

Jeanim,

I'm glad you spoke up and I hope you're still reading. You haven't had any regrets? Do your guests think it's wood? What did you do about staircases, if you have any?

Thanks