Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfpackmom_gw

Need a paint color picked by Thursday

Wolfpackmom
11 years ago

Need to purchase paint by Thursday - painter coming Friday. I am having a 2 story foyer/staircase, upstairs and downstairs hallway painted. Adjoining rooms are painted a golden yellow (I cannot duplicate the color) have tried. I have given up on golden yellow, have bought and tried more than I can count. I have moved on to green. Am "thinking" BM SOFT FERN 21440-40. Anyone use this color, what do you think? I have done the poster board, etc. It's just such a large space I can't picture the entire area painted (any color). I'm overwhelmed with color!

Comments (15)

• Scarlett001
    11 years ago

Well if you had stayed in the yellows I could have helped out there - I've painted about 30 poster boards various shades of yellow, and made a wrong choice of yellow for my initial attempt at house painting!!

I don't have any clue about greens. I hope that someone can help you out. :)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you are not getting more responses here. I haven't used that color, but from photos on the web, it looks pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Soft Fern[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/benjamin-moore-soft-fern-phbr0lbl-bl~l_10686)

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Would you have any pictures? Honestly, I hate to give even random color advice without knowing what else is in the space, what your style is, your lighting...that sort of thing. If you can't match the yellow, would you be adverse to doing a lighter shade that complements it? But, before I'd get behind that idea, I'd want to know if your foyer is light filled or dark - that sort of thing. For instance, our foyer and open stairwell is painted SW Creamy - the same as every other wall on the first floor - but for some reason, it has a definite yellowish-green reflection that is not present on any of the other walls.

Have you painted a large swatch of the Soft Fern to see how it reads in your light and against your existing color?

• mom2girls_2008
    11 years ago

I have BM Barley in my entry hall and BM Sherwood Green in my kitchen. I've been happy with it. This is the best picture I can find that has both colors showing. Hope this helps.

• chispa
    11 years ago

You need to get a quart of the paint color and paint a large swatch on your walls. In our previous house I had to have the 2-story foyer repainted 3 times before I was happy with the color. Buying a quart and testing a big enough area is well worth the cost of a quart of paint. Sample boards are sometimes just not big enough to really get a feel for the way the color will look once it covers all the walls.

• Wolfpackmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your posts. Our BM store only sells in quart size for testers, and we have bought plenty. After using poster board, we narrowed it down to 3, those 3 we painted big areas. They are BM Soft Fern, BM Wheatfield and BM Barley (same as photo above :) ). We will, when the time comes, paint the kitchen Wheatfield or Barley. I think we have decided on Soft Fern for the foyer/stairway and hallways. I really do love the color - husband doesn't care for it as much, but this is my project.. ;) Thank you again for your help!!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Please post some pics when it's done!

• Wolfpackmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you all for your suggestions - we went with BM Shaker Beige. Picked up the paint today. I will share this - I have bought at least a dozen quart samples - painted poster board and then narrowed it down to 3 and those 3 we painted on the wall. The color on the wall for those 3 was definitely different than on the poster board - in one case a major difference. I would recommend testing on poster board - but before making a decision - always - paint on the wall. I loved the BM Soft Fern on the poster board - a beautiful green/gray - but on my wall it looked more green/blue. I hope I love the Shaker Beige!

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I can so relate to your struggle with yellows! I too have more samples than you can imagine. I just wanted to echo what was said about how different the paint can look on the poster board as opposed to on the actual wall. I have started to think my house has the most peculiar lighting ever!

Hope your color works out for you!

• Wolfpackmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Painter is here - we have a huge open 2 story foyer along with that he is painting the stairwell, upstairs and downstairs hallways - BM Shaker Beige. He is almost done with the first coat (will come back tomorrow for the second coat). I LOVE the color. It is what I hoped it would be. I love color and was hoping for a paint with more color - but had to give up my search. When he got here he saw my color sample wall and just smiled. The area he is painting is a yellow from Valspar - the BM paint is going over it beautifully. I don't think I will ever try yellow again - it has been a huge headache for me.

• tracyb973
    11 years ago

Do you have any pictures of the BM Shaker Beige? Do you also have a north facing foyer? Thanks.

• Wolfpackmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tracy, I don't have a picture - but I am attaching a link. This picture is exactly what it looks like. I'm not really sure which way my foyer faces, but I think northeast. The front of the house/foyer gets morning sun and it is off to the side of my house by noon. It is a beautiful color all times of the day and evening. Even on cloudy/dark days the color is not dark. We have 2 coats on painted over a banana yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz.com - BM Shaker Beige[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/seeley-living-room-a-traditional-living-room-chicago-phvw-vp~214101)

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

I like Shaker beige a lot and have used it in my living room and a bedroom. I think you'll be happy with it!

Beth P

• salonv
    10 years ago

I too used shaker beige and I too had considered just about every shade of beige and tan- I adore Shaker Beige.
    There should be a list of go to colors- with Shaker Beige being at the top of the list~

• Wolfpackmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

salonv - I agree! I Love the color. Didn't originally want to go with a beige/tan but I truly love it and have no regrets at all. Now searching for the perfect golden/yellow for kitchen and family room.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!