Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travelingrory_gw

Need exterior paint ideas, small home

travelingrory
10 years ago

Hi, just wondering if anyone could help w paint color ideas for my small ranch house. We'd like to update the landscaping but we thought we should address the paint first. We like Ben mores hemlock, which is a blue green color. We want something interesting but not too bold since we will probably sell in the next 5-8 years. The porch railing is rickety and is coming down, we are also planning to remove the screen door and planter shelf under the front window. Ideally we will get a new garage door and new front door as well. All suggestions welcome, thanks!

Comments (6)

• eibren
    10 years ago

I really like the color combination you have right now--your roof is dark brown, so it to me is a very restful but welcoming combination which is enhanced by the white trim. I also like the distinctive look the porch rail gives to the house.

There is probably no area in which tastes can differ as much as color preference, but I did find one article that claimed that blue is a major preference amog adults:

"Adults have been found cross-culturally to prefer blue to other colors. ItâÂÂs a nearly universal preference. But does this preference occur naturally, or do children and infants have different preferences? Prior to 2001, there wasnâÂÂt a definitive answer to this question. In that year, Marcel Zentner of the University of Geneva conducted a study that not only answered that question, but also sought to explore the relationship between color and emotion (âÂÂPreferences for colours and Colour-Emotion Combinations in Early Childhood,â Developmental Science, 2001)."
    [ http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2005/06/13/color-preference-in-kids-and-a/ ]

Another consideration would be how your chosen color is enhanced or detracted by the colors of surrounding houses.

You might want to consult with a respected local realtor regarding preferred home colors in your area, since you are thinking of selling in a relatively short time. Realtors seem to be willing to be helpfut to possible future clients.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

This house has more architectural details, but a similar roof color. I like the house color, but am copying it to show you some pretty easy, simple yet beautiful landscaping. Not sure if you could/would change the walkway, but it still would add a lot to the curb appeal with just the plantings. You could use stamped concrete instead of flagstone for a more cost effective fix.

The way it's laid out, it kind of invites you to the door. The house color acts as a background to the landscape making it look very cohesive to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: house color blog

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 20:07

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thought, eibren. The railing is rotted is rickety so we are taking it out. Looks good in pics, though! I agree the current scheme isn't bad, I guess I'm just feeling it lacks character. It's a little plain jane to me, and since the paint has to be updated soon, I figured we had the opportunity to go in a different direction.
    Olychick, I love the simple landscaping. And yes, the house is really a backdrop for the plants. Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out now.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Travel, here is a link to a recently similar question. There is also a link under my name with an image search of wonderfully colored small homes. Have you taken a drive around your areas to see others?

Wish you could visit my town with so many homes like yours. So many of the old neighborhoods are upgrading their exteriors. Every color on the spectrum has been used. Just yesterday I passed a little blue painted house like Bagergirls.

I would paint the house something other than a matching color to the roof. Are those shutters with trim around or complete window size?

A path to the garage feels like it is needed and could be a nice meandering walk surrounding a larger flower area. Move the large plant if possible. Add at least one tree.

If you don't need a new garage door, they have false iron hinges and pull sets at HD for around $15 you could try. If they don't look right, just return. My suggestions because I really like their look. And if you need to redo the porch railing, head to Restore. They are bunches of railings for little cost to replace yours. I see them in great shape there. Along with new doors of all types and interests.

Cute little house and would like to have a porch as you do. The screen door too. Let us know what you transition to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on painting small home

• travelingrory
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Technicolor,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Those are not shutters, all windows, but the screens disguise the windows a bit in this terrible photo. :)