Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Any photos of Florida style in decorating?

jlsch
16 years ago

My sister just bought a second home in West Palm Beach (FL)and lives in the midwest. She is in the process of starting to think about how to decorate it and it got me wondering if there is a regional decorating style...and if so what it is. Any thoughts or inspiration photos?

Comments (24)

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

Go to redsox's Bedroom Lamps thread and feast your eyes!

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I have lived in FL for 14 years,,, and have had older homes and newer homes. You didn't post where you are from, so I can only tell you what I know. The outsides are different then say the NE states (I am originally from NY) and the floor plans are normally very open and have outdoor living areas. There usually isn't moldings around windows and floors have traditionally been hard, cold surfaces, but the styles are from country to contemporary (and a strong mediterranean style can often be found).

My mother interior is along the lines of cottage, one sister has a northern, country flare, and sister #2 is modern... and I am traditional, European.... (I think!!) with that said, most people decorate how they like and there is an ugly look many decorate with here! Try going to a msl site with homes for sale and look at inside, you will indeed find many styles!

• susieq07
    16 years ago

Here's two pics. of my furnishings,my entire home is in cool pastel colors, the furniture in the great room, is actually big Hibiscus flowers,the other couch is in the media room, most of my friends also have cool pastel colors, some white furniture, cool tile floors, pastel berber carpet, my walls except for border paper or featured walls in paper are white, as is my kit. cabinets and appliances, ceiling fans everywhere, as it is almost always hot here we enjoy feeling cool inside..{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}} Kit breakfast room;colors truer on this pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• susieq07
    16 years ago

The size of tile has changed in the years since we built, now it is Travertine and about 14"/16" much bigger but Tile is still very much in here in sw fl.as is marble tubs, showers, vanity tops etc. not formica..kit's solid surfaces of many kinds..

• jlsch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your responses. She has an open floor plan, neutral tile floors throughout, a large lanai across the back of the home, palm style ceiling fans, and vaulted white walls. It appears that all the homes in the area are stucco with tile roofs in very muted colors. Looks like a Spanish influence. Although I'm sure there is a lot of variation in the interior decor, I was just wondering if more muted colors were also used inside, or if bright colors were included. She wouldn't be likely to use 'floral fabrics' in her decorating as her style is much more contemporary. Again, just curious if there was a 'florida style'.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think there is a Florida style, just like with other areas of the country. American Mediterranean? : ) I wouldn't be able to describe it, really, but maybe someone else can, or local publications would show examples.

• pinkpetunia
    16 years ago

Florida has different design styles which can run from country to sophisticated. Here is the website for "Florida Design" which is a very nice interior design magazine where you can view past issues and home interiors.

http://www.floridadesign.com/web/

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Design magazine

• pinkpetunia
    16 years ago

Here is some Florida Design magazine eye candy! :

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• robin_g
    16 years ago

pinkpetunia

THANKS for that link!!! I had not seen that site before, opened it and swooned. awesome!

Robin

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

When I think of Florida style this is what comes to mind:

I'm a west coast girl, so I have no other reference point.

• wisrose
    16 years ago

That is too funny>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

There is a stereotypical Florida style that comes to mind, I would say it's rather dated but I've visited many friends who own homes there and they transpose their individual tastes in decor to their florida homes without being typical; of course , tiled floors are practical there.

I could see your friend personalizing her decor as she wishes, in a light and airy more contemporary way. Even with air conditioning, the visual of a dark velvet on a hot and humid day would be stifling.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Just wanted to suggest Coastal Living magazine. Tricky to find sometimes here in the Midwest, I've seen it at book stores like Borders, and sometimes I think HD or Lowes. (I like looking at the homes and rooms so much I subscribed to it ;D )

Coastal Living

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Ha! Golden Girls...perhaps one of the subliminal reasons I came kicking and screaming to Florida. But, once here found there are most definately regional styles...neighborhood styles, and home styles. Lived in three homes here...and each one was quite different.

Palm beach and West Palm have a lot of spanish med influence. Lots of inside/outside living...so tile floors, simple window coverings(plantation blinds) to let the cross breezes in. I find it a fairly relaxed state decor wise.

We keep our windows and doors open to the outside the better part of the year...so stained cement floors, lots of white slipcovers(can bleach the heck out of 'em!) work well for us. live in a spanish influenced house...with practically a jungle for a backyard.Much of our artwork has a regional/tropical bent.

She'll have fun decorating. You'll have fun visiting!!

here is a sample of our eclectic florida style...

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida House

• tropisol
    16 years ago

I second Coastal Living Mag for some great inspiration

And pink Petunia...GREAT site!! Never saw that before either.

• pinkpetunia
    16 years ago

Tropisol ~~ Your home is eclectic and fun! I love your style!

Living in South Florida myself, I cringe when people think that Florida decor looks like that old peach and turquoise Golden Girls look! Aaaaaack! That's why I posted the Florida Design site--we do have interior design down here, too!! I promise!!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

LOL pinkpetunia! Exactly!

tropisol, I'm a fan of your home & gardens so I'm excited you shared your beautiful pics in this thread. Off I go to enjoy.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Pastels went away along with Miami Vice!

• perky_2
    16 years ago

I second the looking at real estate pictures but don't forget the vacation property rentals.

You see everything from spanish/med to beach theme.

We are in northern Florida and traditional has been a long timer in this area - just beginning to see modern contemp.

I used to live in south Florida, have relatives and friends still there - way back then and still you see a mix from the lighter costal style to traditional.

Here is a link that might be useful: vacation homes in florida

• perky_2
    16 years ago

Not a Florida blogger but nice site for tropical traditional home.

Here is a link that might be useful: I adore this blog of traditional tropical feel

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

tropisol, we rent a wonderful house a few times a year in the old Northwood area and there are a lot of renos in that area with very ecclectic decors, spanish inspired.

I love what you did to your house, the art is wonderful.

• last_mango
    16 years ago

Tropisol - I had to say that your house is marvelous! Love the open / outside style - isn't so much of Florida about being 'out'? We spend most of our days at home on the porch, patio, and in the yard. The art is wonderful - thanks for posting.

• tropisol
    16 years ago

Oh... another florida site. Talented local designer.

Hey...Thanks for the nice comments on our sponge...whoops, home!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rod Mickley

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia