Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baroo2u_gw

What color direction would YOU take?

Baroo2u
11 years ago

Ok, get out your fandecks! My sister From The Big City found a great cotton drape fabric at Designer Warehouse to go with our sofa (on sale, no less!) and matched it to BM colors for me so I can ask your opinions...she says colors in the photo are a bit off. So, I know it's a lot to ask, but could you suggest a possible color scheme based on this fabric that could travel through the whole open concept house? I'm tritanopic color blind due to a head injury, which means I can see reds (good thing its my fav color : ) but everthing else is distorted--I'm petrified I'll make a huge fashion faux pas and my in-laws will laugh at me next Christmas when they visit!

My sofa is BM Caliente Red leather. I have some oak & pine primative antiques, and the fabric for the LR drapes has BM Clary Sage, Sombrero (gold tan), Dior Grey and Caliente spots on it. Mid tones or lighter, but I'm told darker (or red) accent walls will help with my depth perception.

So, what paint colors would you pick? And if their name isn't descriptive (eg. Sombrero) could you tell me if they're green or blue or whatever?

Thanks!!!!

P.S. I'll see if I can edit to add an a photo of the sofa

Comments (60)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I might consider a different direction.

If you are not seeing color, but can see the distinction in saturations, and the variations of light and dark, you might consider choosing several of the dot colors, and shaping and enlivening your open space with contrasting walls.

If that interests you, you could post pictures of the room from several angles, and we could talk about possibilities?
    I've helped with a couple of rather faceless condominiums using that idea, carving up space with contrasting walls.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

B'smom,
    What a fabulous idea!!!!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Love the idea of several colors now that I know the room is fun and contemporary. Try and get a photo on here and these people will make a showcase room for you.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

And what a spectacularly loving thing for your DH to do!

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, Bronwynsmom you asked for it!
    Hope this works: I'm going to try uploading some really ugly house pics from the front door through to the dining room & kitchen. Keep in mind it's a fixer upper--the floors, kitchen & bath will all be redone. I'm told I'm lucky to be colorblind :) Any and all help is very much appreciated. I do see red but you're right, after that it's mostly depth and saturation. And yes, my DH is quite a guy. At Thanksgiving he borrowed a stroller, disguised one of our dogs as a toddler in a snowsuit and smuggled him into the hospital for a visit!

{{gwi:1645594}}
    {{gwi:1645595}}
    {{gwi:1645596}}
    {{gwi:1645597}}
    {{gwi:1645598}}
    {{gwi:1645599}}

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I was thinking a bright white for fresh and vibrant like your curtains, which definitely set a young modern mood. A lot of designers use white and use them with bright colors if you look around. It sets off other colors nicely, since you are doing pops of bright. Just a thought!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, I did, didn't I!
    And look at your darling doggies.

I'll take a whack at it - probably will be a couple of days, as I'm out of town this weekend - but I think there's a lot you could do.

I also think snookums' idea of a really good fresh bright white is a possibility. Keep in mind that an all white scheme works best in a large, expansive space with lots of natural light.

The other thing, which nobody talks about much, is that for an all white scheme to work, the whole place needs to be orderly and serenely tidy. It showcases everything in the rooms.

That often takes it off the table for busy families, where evidence of life and activity is part of the deal.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Interesting considerations, bronwynsmom!

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Snookums, I think I know the look you mean--where different fabric patterns and accessories are showcased against the white walls? It's so pretty and cozy done correctly--and I wouldn't have to worry about an accessory accidentally clashing with the walls. But I'm not confident I could pull it off.

Bronwynsmom makes a great point too: White walls (and baseboards) would show black dog hair like crazy. They shed very little but there ARE three of them--and they tend to do rotten stuff like knock coffee cups off end tables, spraying the walls. I hadn't realized until now that the offwhite wall/white trim look won't work for that reason. Maybe I could paint out the baseboards?

BTW Bronwynsmom, it's not quite as bad as it looks--the red pine cupboard panels can be painted any color, as can the back of the breakfront shelves. The rest of the furnishings are EXPENDABLE--cast-offs from friends & until I can find a few pieces that work better. But paint is first--the living room is like a black hole.

Gees, just looking at these pictures is depressing...heeelppp me!

• pschul05
    11 years ago

On a practical level, if you are able to see better in a room that has a wall color that is either red or is dark, then I would go with a wall color that is either red or dark. The function of being able to see clearly takes precedence (at least to me). On a more emotional level, since you've already categorized the room (which looks like a deep turquoise on my screen) as a black hole, I'm kinda getting the feeling that you don't really want dark walls. Logically, then, the only option left is some type of red walls.

I'm also wondering if you've considered some form of coral, or at least a color that has a red undertone? If you Google images of the designer Miles Redd's apartment, he has a backdrop of pink walls with red furniture and accent items in it (I've included a pic for an example). I'm not saying that you would necessarily want to replicate the look, but the polka dot fabric seems to have a spunky, fresh kind of feel to it, which brighter corals can pull off quite well. I know that BM Caliente leans more yellow than blue (so far as color wheel stuff goes).

At the end of the day, though, I think you're going to have to decide if you want to put some form of neutral on your walls like so many people do (despite the fact that it will simply look grayish to you), or something that has a redness to it (and give you a sense of color on the walls, too). There is no right or wrong answer here. My mum can hardly ever stand anything but neutrals on walls. I can rarely stand being in neutral rooms for long because to me, on walls, it usually equates to blah and boring. Her food allergies make it so that strong color and contrast are problematic. If I don't have at least one or the other, I tend to feel lethargic. It's all just personal. Plus, it's you AND your hubby. Red can be pretty aggressive, so if he doesn't like the idea of red/coral/white-with-coral-undertones, then that will certainly be a huge factor.

There are always the option of picking something that looks gray to you, but to him, is one of the blues or the green or the tan in the fabric. On the other hand, white walls with pops of color is a very accepted method of decorating, and would be comparably easy to pull off. You have a lot of options, and you can use different tactics for different spaces. Ex: kitchen with white cabinets and Caliente walls, with touches of the blue or green that he likes best. Then reverse it with white walls and the red sofa in the living room, same accent color for accessories. Or have a Caliente wall just behind the tv, but the rest of the walls white. Or blue or green or tan, but if you go with a red accent wall, I would instinctively shy away from green wall colors to avoid the possibility of the Christmas effect. It's not an impossible task to attempt, but it is riskier.

Oh, and if it were me, I would paint out the baseboards the same color as the walls, whatever color you choose. Right now, because there either isn't any molding or it's just minor molding connecting to the ceiling, the baseboards are kinda popping out at me, saying "HELLO". Painting-out molding is a common tool for a contemporary style, and as a bonus, it'll make the room look that much taller.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everybody, I just spoke to DH and told him about all the help you folks aregiving me. He listened for a while and said "You're sounding more like yourself again." I think the terrific individuals on this forum have a lot to do with that, so thanks!

Snookums2, I didn't think I'd like painted trim but it looks great in your example! I'm priming the LR this weekend so will get an idea how white walls look and experiment with some color on the trim, post a pic when I'm done. Hey, I've got time to burn and it can only look better, right?

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I have been reading but not sure what to offer, but I think it is great that your DH got you a red sofa (which is the one and only real color I have seen work in leather) and that you are getting such great support from him and from those who have chimed in already.

I have 2 larger dogs, nearly all black fur -- a lab and a boarder collie/retriever mix. Plenty of shedding. I don't really notice the fur on the white baseboards, so I was going to say don't overthink that issue, but with a mention of coffee spills, perhaps the white walls and colored trim would work well for you. I think they would work well with the red sofa and have a fun, energetic vibe.

If it makes you feel any better, those of us who don't have your vision issues would be uncomfortable in that room. I don't think I've ever seen a white ceiling feel like it was pushing down and trapping you so much. The light floors don't help. Changing the wall color is really going to help. Start with a good primer to block that green. Have fun.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow pschul05, lots to think about! All red undertones would be a bit overstimulating for hubby, probably--I like your ideas about swapping out colors from room to room. Good point about the baseboards too, they do look unbalanced. I wouldn't have seen it without your pointing it out. If I did white walls with colored trim, would I need crown molding I wonder?

Lascatx, the heavy ceiling thing didn't occur to me either, but no wonder that room feels so oppressive. The floors are being replaced, so probably a darker color would be better?

• pschul05
    11 years ago

As to the colored trim issue, I don't think that you would necessarily need to put in the crown molding. If you look at the second pic snookums2 put up with the molding and then adjust your screen down just far enough so that you can't see the crown molding, it isn't a problem. However, that is because the colored trim on the window carries it up the wall. And in fact, if they had painted the crown molding the same color as the wall and ceiling, then the visual break would have disappeared, and the room still would have felt taller.

In their example, the colored trim grounds the room because it's not much stronger than the floor color, but is much deeper than the wall color. In your room, however, the wall color is very deep, while the floor is midrange and the trim veeery light. And since light colors reflect more light, your eye notices them first anyway, plus it's a high contrast with both the wall color and flooring.

It's not that any one thing is actually wrong in the space, but that the juxtaposition is literally highlighting the trim (pun intended). Color and contrast grab the eye and tell it where the focus should be in a space. As you enter the room throughout the day from different angles, take note of where your eyes naturally fall, and where you WANT them to fall. Put the color/contrast/strong pattern where you want people to look, and minimize the visual activity in the other areas. For example, if you look at the pic in my last post, because there is a pink wall behind the red sofa, the impact of the red goes waaaay down in comparison to a white wall. They're both valid ways of doing things; they just give a different look.

So one valid way to balance out the space after you've put in the red sofa would be with the red painted trim, since the window is on the opposite side of the room from the couch. Also, if you're not a fan of accent walls (for behind the tv), another contemporary tactic is to paint a painter's canvas with the color that you want in to highlight and the size that works best and use it as a pseudo 3D-frame for the tv. It's an easy and relatively cheap way to bring in an additional pop of trim color, and when you move or decide to change things up, you can just detach it from the frame and roll it up.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pschul, I don't know how yoy guys figure this stuff out, much less explain it so coherently. I was all ready to go with white walls when I decided to unwrap the red sectional--game changer!
    1) It's large, pretty much fills the entire space--won't white walls contrast so much with the sofa it'll wind up dwarfing the space?
    2) I can't see red trim working--quite the opposite, I have the urge to paint ALL the trim out to cool things down.
    3) I also can't see a color working, like sage green or aqua-the sofa's an odd red, I think, and needs something either to defuse it or to harmonize with it--but a contrasting color wouldn't work. If I close my eyes I can almost see all this, but it's a stretch. I'm forgetting what colors look like, so it's hard.

This post was edited by Baroo2u on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 20:35

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

What do you see when you look at the photograph of the Martha O'Hara room (second from the bottom)?

Those varying shades of gray, the white trim, and the creamy rug and upholstery are lovely and airy with the red sofa. Does that room appeal to you at all?

My next question is, would the sofa fit along the far wall where the television is now? If it would, I have some ideas for the room that might make it work better for you.

Can you post a photo of the sofa from the front, too?

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Snookums, can you suggest a few gold/beige possibilities? I can get samples since I'm going into the city tomorrow, hopefully to get the cast off my arm, much easier to paint that way : ) I can't buy samples within 2 hours of home, believe it or not.

I like the contrast between the trim and the walls, Bronwynsmom. It is very light and airy--I can make out everything in the photo, which is unusual, even the dog on the ottoman. And the sofa fits at the far end--wasn't sure it would so I moved it. I'll attach a pic...If you can think of any paint samples I can get in the city, let me know.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pic of the sofa from front...if anyone has suggestions for paint samples, let me know--going to the city! No one mixes samples in my area.

Thanks everybody!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Take a look at BM Oklahoma wheat. It's a soft gold and very pretty.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I see an old thread with a BM store reco of Shaker Beige. I do not know this color.

Of the warm goldens above, I like the last, lighter one because it's fresher and happier like your curtains and sofa.

P.S. That's meaning Shaker Beige with Caliente Red (sofa).

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 22:22

• pschul05
    11 years ago

For the wall color, anything that on a grayscale (lighter vs darker) is closer to the depth of the red is going to reduce the contrast with the sofa. Gray, tan, a color, it doesn't really matter on that level.

However, there are two other factors going on: color temperature (cool vs warm) and intensity (bright/clean vs muted/dirty).

On a temperature level, your red seems (on my screen at least) to have at least a touch of orange to it, which makes it a warmer red (in comparison to, say, a pinky red). So temperature-wise, something with an orange, yellow, tan, or brown base will have a lower contrast with the temperature of the red, and so "harmonize" better. So, for example, a cooler gray (more blue based) will have a stronger contrast than a warmer gray (I would go for one that has been browned out, and leans more taupe). So the warmer gray would harmonize better. However, a tan would be even closer in temperature than either gray, and so would be even less contrast and harmonize even better. ALL of the options are technically "correct", they just give different looks.

For intensity issues, have you ever seen multicolored floral bouquets and noticed that either they were all bright colors, or all pastels, or all deeps? Those are palettes grouped by intensity. Again, this does not mean that you HAVE to do a palette like this, it's just another valid way of doing things. And the more colors that you have in a palette, usually, the better off you are keeping the intensity close. Again, it's not impossible to have a wide range, it's just much harder to pull off.

So when you say that you "don't think a contrasting color would work", what you're really saying is that you don't LIKE that particular kind of contrast going on, at least in the space you've got with the stuff you've got. And that is a really good thing to know, because it constantly happens where someone will decorate a room "correctly", but when it's finished, it always feels a bit "off". Nothing is technically wrong; you just don't quite like it.

Oh, and if you look at a color wheel, you'll notice that green and red are on opposite sides, which means that they make each other "pop". You have green walls. The pic above makes me want to hang mistletoe and twinkle lights (in the nicest possible way, though). You might want to consider painting the room with white primer just so the current wall color isn't a distraction anymore. Plus, you're going to have to prime anyway, so there really isn't a downside.

So what I'm getting from your feedback is that what you'd really like is a light to mid-range warm neutral on your walls, so that you have less contrast with the sofa, and get to keep a lighter, airier feel overall. How dark (grayscale) the neutral is going to have to be to feel "right" to you will probably depend on how blackened the red in your sofa is. Since you've only put up night shots, I really wouldn't feel right trying to guess. The best lighting for pics is usually between 11am-1pm, but the direction the window is in will also be a huge factor.

Oh, and even if you don't like the idea of red baseboards, I would personally love to see just the window trim painted out red to help balance the sofa. It's not the only way to do it, but I think it would work no matter which wall you put the sofa against. Plus I just love colored trim (it's a "me" thing). Inspiration pic below:

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think the first thing you should do is put a couple of coats of high-hiding white primer on the wall. You won't be able to tell anything with that dark green on the wall, which intensifies the red, and vice versa.

I think in your small room with that wonderful sofa, you need something airy and pale like the photo with the dog, more than the golden tones, which I think will close it in more unless they are very pale. But pale gray with creamy pale gold curtains and creamy white trim would look lovely. I'd also paint the ceiling the same white as the trim, rather than plain ceiling white (which I am now famous for disliking ...)

If you like the soft gray walls and creamy pale gold curtains in the picture with the dog, then look at Benjamin Moore's Wickham Gray, Stonington Gray, and Gray Owl; Pratt & Lambert's Gray Moire with their Seed Pearl as a trim color, and Restoration Hardware's Sand Dollar with their Buttermilk for trim. There's also a very nice Valspar gray at Lowe's called Foggy Mirror.

All those grays are on the warm end. Since green and red/red-orange intensify each other, I think you should stay away from any neutral with a green cast.

And I also think your tall cabinet is not doing you any favors, I'd keep everything in the room long and low, to make the most of the space you do have.

Are the blobby things on the back wall spots for sconces? If so, I'd look for something wonderful for those two spots, and then I'd get the biggest, widest, tallest mirror I could find to fill the wall between them. I think that would go a long way to open the room visually, and add light and brightness right where you need it.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

B'smom, I think you're right! I'm stuck on prep, 'tho--Paint spraying is easy, but wall washing & sanding is a challenge. I really liked your ideas, esp. The mirror between the sconces! I know your idea of cream curtains would would look spectacular, (cream is yellow, right?) But I'm stuck with my sister's 'find' of the spotted fabric, not that I mind--she was just trying to help, but I've already forgotten what colors were in it, besides red.

From what everyone is saying about undertones and intensities and temperature--none of which I can see--it's dawned on me that I can't possibly get this right. I'll have to go with white since it has the least potential for embarrassment : / Everyone has been so nice and helpful and spent so much time coaching me that I hate to disappoint you by being unimaginative.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

B'smom, I think you're right! I'm stuck on prep, 'tho--Paint spraying is easy, but wall washing & sanding is a challenge. I really liked your ideas, esp. The mirror between the sconces! I know your idea of cream curtains would would look spectacular, (cream is yellow, right?) But I'm stuck with my sister's 'find' of the spotted fabric, not that I mind--she was just trying to help, but I've already forgotten what colors were in it, besides red.

From what everyone is saying about undertones and intensities and temperature--none of which I can see--it's dawned on me that I can't possibly get this right. I'll have to go with white since it has the least potential for embarrassment : / Everyone has been so nice and helpful and spent so much time coaching me that I hate to disappoint you by being unimaginative.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Oh, of course!
    I forgot about the spotted curtains. Those are great, too.
    Perhaps a creamy rug like the one in the photo?
    You could also bring in creamy tones in chair upholstery.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

And I think with your husband's help, you can indeed get it right! Talk about what you want, show him the photos, take the photos to the paint store, and take a whack at it.
    There are as many whites as there are grays, anyway.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

The people at the bm paint store can be really really helpful!! I'd bring in a swatch of the curtain fabric.

I think being a little less sensitive to color is going to help you not overthink your white. Picking whites can drive you nuts and really, no guest cares what white. I had a look at my oc whites with sombrero. Sombrero is a lot greener than I was expecting, a very greeny gold. Opaline oc33 looks like a nice match! An easy color to put throughout your entire upstairs while adding feature walls. And that is exactly what I would do to keep the funky cottage vibe going, keep the freshness and help out your depth perception! Plus with a white you won't feel like you're missing out on a color ;) personally I would shy away from a color painted trim. Rarely IMO does it look professional. I'd go with another white a bit lighter. I have and like Oxford white, it has a slight grey undertone but very neutral. I bought Oxford white aura and am just doing one coat over my builder basic bright white trim. Hey, whatever everyone else doesn't know doesn't hurt them.

I would bring your curtains to benjamin Moore to be sure of the color match.

Feature wall - 1000 percent vote for sombrero or whatever gold matches your curtain. It's going to look amazing with your furniture.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Ps all those colors look great and super liveable, so I say that fabric is a great basis for your color scheme for the whole upstairs. Caliente in the kitchen, sage in the bathroom, dior grey in the guest bedroom, etc. what a great way to develop a scheme! No one will know it was the curtains but they will all be impressed. Also if your sister has a sharp eye for color I would run it by her before committing to a pail.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

A little darker, linen sand might be a possibility. 2151-60. Looks like a really nice cream with the same greeny undertones as sombrero. Definitely a strong (yellowy) cream.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, B'smom, Snookums, Pschul, Robo--I'm overwhelmed in a lot of ways right now, so I value the support in this particular area!

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Here is where I wish I knew how to use photo shop but here is a try at paint

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

and with a grayer paint

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

I am already picturing caliente red on the wall of the dining room where the hutch is. Why not put it or maybe clary sage or dior grey at the back of the kitchen too? I am excited for you!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I don't think I would go as dark as the tan image above, it might feel too dark, but a light one would look good. You could do a warm or a cool gray. Think about whether you like to be warmly enveloped a little (not a lot like the green) or want something bright, light and airy. A beige or gray should be fairly easy to select, I would think. Red is considered to be a neutral by some. You can show the paint store the Caliente which should be a big help. Be sure to describe your flooring too. Bring a photo if it's accurate.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

(I wrote this this morning, and neglected to post it - so here it is.)

You have risen to an extraordinary challenge. Head injuries are mysterious and frustrating, and it sounds like you have the love and support of your family, and a great spirit.

So why don't you get the green painted out, have your curtains made, and then put all the rest of these thoughts and ideas into a folder somewhere and take time off.

Then when you feel on top of it, and have had some time to sit with the curtains and plain walls, pick it up again.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey CLB, that's awesome! I'm seeing a lot more contrast with the sofa in the second photo--is it a cool color? Just wondering...

Snooks, for light and airy I'd ask for a cool grey and for cozy a warm grey....is there such a thing as a totally neutal grey? Just wondering...

Robo, I'm already thinking of blackboard paint for the end wall in the kitchen, so I can write reminders to myself b4 going out the door! Instead of the accent wall behind the hutch, I might paint or paper the back of the shelves,,something reversible since it's a family piece. I've started a spreadsheet to store these suggestions & ideas so I don't forget them.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Color isn't that cut and dry. You could do a darker cool gray and it would feel cozier because you are more enveloped with color. I'm not sure a really cool, icy blue would ever feel cozy even if it were not really light.

Being colorblind, maybe if you look at pictures on Houzz of red sofas, you can see how the wall colors effect you. That's what the rest of us do. I like this, I like that combination. Don't like that one. It's hard for anyone to know what you see or how you want your room to feel. What looks warm and cozy to me might look depressing to you because you don't see the color the same way. A lot of people want gray today. I still prefer warm colors.

It does sound like you don't want a lot of contrast for some reason, so going darker will reduce that.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 20:21

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

B'smom, you're a very smart person--minds usually problem-solve better when we turn our attention to something else : )

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey CLB, that's awesome! I'm seeing a lot more contrast with the sofa in the second photo--is it a cool color? Just wondering...

Snooks, for light and airy I'd ask for a cool grey and for cozy a warm grey....is there such a thing as a totally neutal grey? Just wondering...

Robo, I'm already thinking of blackboard paint for the end wall in the kitchen, so I can write reminders to myself b4 going out the door! Instead of the accent wall behind the hutch, I might paint or paper the back of the shelves,,something reversible since it's a family piece. I've started a spreadsheet to store these suggestions & ideas so I don't forget them.

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Second photo was a grey in the pallet but looks a bit blue on computor screen kind of like the blue in the dots. The first one is much deeper and a warm color. It turned out darker than the beige dots. This one is beige but lighter than the dots. Paint is an awful program to do this in but I hope it helps. Grey can be a neutral. I am kind of old fashioned I like to take a color out of one of the materials in my room and either go a shade lighter or darker for the walls. Maybe too matchy match.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does primer go bad??? I just got it the other day but when I opened the can it had blackish watery greasy looking streaks and it sure wasn't white! I stirred it and the consistency was smooth, ie.no lumps that could've been mold, and the color evened out. So I loaded it into the sprayer. It went on ok, but as you can see it's a lot darker than the leftover primer I used to cut in top & bottom. I checked with the paint clerk to make sure it was the right kind. And it sure doesn't look like I expected!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

"but as you can see it's a lot darker than the leftover primer I used to cut in top & bottom.:"

Did you mean to attach a picture?

If you are spraying, I hope you have cleaned your walls really well, rid of any dust etc.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Snooks you're right...looks like the photo went AWOL. Here it is...actually, my nieghbour stopped in and I showed the paint her. She says it's a blueberry color on the wall, but the can says white primer. All I can figure is someone got untinted white base instead of purple paint?

BTW, I was pretty careful cleaning the walls b4hand. Are sprayers usually picky about surface prep?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I'm guessing it's tinted to cover the dark color you had? Did you mention that? Or is tinting used only to apply a dark color.

At least you can see the effect of a gray! It does look a bit blue. My monitor does not display colors accurately.

When you roll or brush, it pushes the paint around. If there's dust on the surface, you'll get better adhesion that way than if you had just sprayed over top. I'm not sure if spraying has less adhesion generally or not. I'd guess not since some do a fine finish that way. You could ask over in the paint forum.

How in the world do you contain paint spray in a finished house?

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did mention that I was covering a dark color, but didn't ask for tinted primer...'tho I left it to be shaken up while i went to look at flooring.

I've used industrial sprayers at work, some produce more overspay than others. You have to mask off windows and trim, close off access to the rest of the house and shut down hvac systems, plus wear a respirator but I like the finish better so far.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Other than Rustoleum (who does have grey primer in near that color) I would expect primer to be white unless tinted. I suspect there was a mixup. One time I was buying paint and the guy added the tint to the wrong can, set it aside to mark and put on the "opps" shelf later, got me a new can of of white and then tinted the correct paint (had a different finish). I can see another person picking up the yet unmarked can or even the same person getting busy and forgetting or mixing up which can was which.

The good news is that the room looks better and taller already!

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does look better, doesn't it? I got a few samples--edgecombe gray.Wheeling neutral & gray owl--but even I can tell they're wrong. I'm going home for easter and will visit my long time bm dealer there. Meanwhile I've picked a few more possibilities based on LRV's, descriptions and pretty names: Florentine Plaster, Pashmina, Jute & Metropolitan.