Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Thoughts on Antique Brass for Door handles/knobs

amykath
10 years ago

We are building a new home. Our doors will be painted a deep gray and I have been flip flipping on weather to use ORB or satin nickel hardware.

What are your thoughts on antique brass hardware? Such as for kitchen hardware and door hardware.

I am referring to this particular color. Not this particular style. Our house will be very clean lines and I guess you could say contemporary. Modern would be too harsh a word for what we have planned.

Just curious if this will be dated or will I grow tired of it. I thought it would look great against the deep gray paint and white cabs and walnut island. The rest of the lighting will be ORB or somewhere in that family.

TIA!
Amy

Comments (19)

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more thing⦠we will have medium toned wide plank wood floors.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I think it will look lovely, warm, and unexpected. I would go for it!

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nini!!

• bbstx
    10 years ago

You might scan through this post by Joni Webb at Cote de Texas. She has some thoughts on brass and on mixing metals. I'm not sure I agree with all she has to say, but I thought it was amusing that she jettisoned all her brass in favor of pewter just as brass came back in style.

I wanted all brass in my new house, but I cheaped out and went with satin nickle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cote de Texas

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I love antique brass... although I've usually only seen it in traditional settings. I did a bathroom faucet in it and all the hardware including doorknobs, lighting fixtures, accessories.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I'm one who never changed out the builder "antique" brass for satin nickel. I always like the warmer tone.

The antique brass tone you are considering is beautiful and would look fantastic. I'd do it in a New York Minute but I've always loved it. It's nice to see this finish in use again.

I read that blog today and take it with a grain of salt since she freely admitted that she's a matchy-matchy person. Shiny brass, like 80s builder, isn't seeing a resurgence. Satin, unlaquered, antiqued doesn't look the same AT ALL.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love it! Honestly I am tired of seeing oil rubbed bronze.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I am using this knob on the bookcases in my living room. I wanted to use it in the kitchen with Rockport Gray cabinets, but I chickened out and went with white cabinets and satin nickle knobs/pulls. I'm such a weenie!

• jjam
    10 years ago

I thnk antique brass is the best choice for just what you are considering. It plays well with others; looks good with other metals, wood tones, as well as painted finishes. So your options for decorating with it are endless. If I were building a house it would be my #1 choice.

• jill302
    10 years ago

I am in the same place, finally have most of my brass removed. When I bought my home it was a combo of shiny brass, antique brass and chrome. Now many years later it is a combo of oil rubbed bronze with a little shiny brass (mainly shower doors) and chrome remaining in baths and some doorknobs. At this point my favorites are oil rubbed bronze and chrome, I do not want to go back to brass at all shiny or antique - not sure why but I just don't.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Have you seen the Hicks pendant by Thomas O'Brien? Couldn't help but think of you - it's shown in a kitchen in the latest issue (I think) of HGTV magazine. Also here-

This post was edited by arapaho on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 21:08

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts and for the photos!

I am still not 100% sure but will keep you posted!
    Amy

• three3apples
    10 years ago

Every door and most cabinets have unlaquered brass. Nothing else was an option for me because I love it more than anything else. I couldn't care less about what's in style though.

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'm leaning towards this aged pewter knob. Thoughts?

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I have always loved brass, both lacquered and satin. I think satin brass would be spectacular with gray cabinetry!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I have never seen so many finishes... thought you might find this interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Brass

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Our house is all done in the warmer tones so we went with antique brass. We like it. When I think of dark gray though, I want to put it with nickel or pewter or other gray tones, though certainly metals are neutral and go with anything.

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Arapaho! Wow! That is a great deal from which to choose!!! I wished I had that option in the price range I am looking at!