Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

How to protect fabric from stains?

meg711
16 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out how to protect my chair cushions. I have heard that there are two new methods. In the first technique, the fabric is treated before the cushions are made. This technology is supposedly better than Scotch-guard, and makes the fabric impervious to stains. This technique is almost like coating the fabric in plastic, but it doesn't feel like plastic or have a shine like plastic. Of course when I mention it to people, they look at me like I'm crazy. Does anyone know what I'm talking about????

The other method is basically like laminating the cushions after they are made. My SIL had this done and she said that it doesn't look like plastic. The only thing she didn't like is that the ties are laminated also. Does anyone know what this method is called?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (16)

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting. I hadn't heard that Calico Corners will treat someone else's fabric.

FWIW, Ethan Allen said the opposite. They will give a Guardsman garantee for upholstered chairs that we buy at EA, but they won't treat or guarantee any fabric we purchase from them. So if we buy their fabric and have cushions made elsewhere, no treatment or guarantee.

The fabric I'm using is from Kravet. Maybe I should check with them. Thanks!

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

. . . because I'm desperate

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Black trash bags should do it.

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, that desperate I'm not. But thanks for the chuckle!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

You're welcome. :) Sorry I couldn't be more help. I've got a house full of pets so I just get pet-proof fabrics to begin with. If it's a simple dining room chair seat, then they're awfully easy to replace once they don't look good any more.

• User
    16 years ago

Meg sort of had my answer - keep it away from humans!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Meg,
    Have you tried Hancock Fabrics?
    It seems like I have heard of the same thing. I am trying to pull it out of my head, thou. Need wine - Friday nite:)
    Kinda like a lamination but not. You know what I am saying!! Seems like I heard about it for custom table cloths.

Really, thou. I would think you could just scotch guard them. By the time they get stained you might be ready for a new fabric/change and it will be a good excuse!!

Smiles:)

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Meg, you mentioned you were looking at Kravet fabrics...I have been looking at some as well. I have noticed that on a lot of the fabrics it says Teflon finish on the back (in the fabric books). I am assume you can get that put on the fabric when you order it? Not sure exactly, but thought I'd mention it.

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's true Oceanna. They would be easy to change out. But apparently there are only 38 yards of this fabric (as of last week) and they don't know whether it will be discontinued after that. I hate to work around a fabric that won't exist or might not exist in a couple months.

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm typing too slowly again!

patser: Too funny. I don't think DH would appreciate it, but it would work.

johnatemp: I've already picked out the fabric (assuming it's not too heavy for cushions), but I'll see if Hancock has a treatment available. Maybe Scotch Guard will be good enough.

polkadots: This particular fabric doesn't say it has a teflon finish, but I'll double check. Maybe it can be added. But at least it's heavy duty, 30,000 rubs.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• karenn
    16 years ago

hiya meg

check out this site: http://www.ipasouthern.com/

apparently they will laminate any fabric you send them. posted by krabbypatty in the kitchen forum here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0517485121309.html

Here is a link that might be useful: IPA Southern Fabric Laminating

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much karenn! I just emailed them a slew of questions but they won't be open again until Monday. I'll post my neurotic questions and their answers once I hear back. I really appreciate your help.

• karenn
    16 years ago

yes please keep us updated! and please do post pics when you actually get this done as i am SO curious how laminated fabric looks! i wonder how difficult it is to sew laminated fabric also hmmmmm...

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi karenn,

That was one of my questions: whether laminating the fabric makes it harder to work with. Can't be too hard if they always treat the fabric before things like cushions are made out of it.

I didn't see the photos that krabbypatty said she was going to post. I wonder if they're in another thread. I'll search later--although they may have fallen off the board by now.

Thanks again.

• jack_protectfabrics_com
    16 years ago

Hi Meg711,

Saw you post and I thought that you might want to check out a product call SunArmor. It can be found at a few Linen's and Things Stores and on this website

http://www.protectfabrics.com

It's a relatively new product and is starting to get some attention because it competes directly with ScotchGard and a few leading water repellant brands.

It basically repels water and stains that are liquid by making the liquid bead-up (kind of like mercury). There's some product photos on the site that you should really check out where it repels various liquids on delicate fabrics.

It's also better than other repellants because it doesn't do any damage to the fabric or stain the fabrics like ScotchGard and DCS 19.

Hope this helps you out!

Jack

Here is a link that might be useful: HOW TO PROTECT FABRICS