Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torsade

Restore a finish?

torsade
13 years ago

Does anyone have experience with this product? I bought some to try on a chair we found at a salvage shop. Applying it as directed, it really just looks like Pledge or some furniture polish. Do you need to keep working it in for some time, or maybe it just isn't working for this chair?

Should I have sanded it first? There are some scratches that are deeper, but even the unscratched areas just don't look that great after application.

Comments (14)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It could be that you didn't get the right color to match the chairs. Pictures would help. Before and after if you have them.

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's before:

and after:

This is the rest of the chair. The seat (and all the layers of grungy fabric) are gone now!

I bought the mahogany finish. They only had a light oak, golden oak and mahogany.
    (Ignore the awful blue carpet...the new carpet was ordered today!)

• natesgram
    13 years ago

I've been wanting to do this too, so I'll be anxious to hear from others that have used it. I found a video by the manufacturer that shows sometimes you need to apply it with steel wool. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restore a finish video

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I just bought a can to use on two pieces. I haven't had time to do the work yet, but I've seen some pretty amazing before and afters posted online, so I was really hopeful that it would look great.

I'm not really willing to totally refinish either of my pieces, so I really have nothing to lose. I would try a second application, and see if that helps. I would also make sure the furniture is really, really clean before you start. I'm thinking if there's layers of wax or old furniture polish, it's just not going to do much. I also read that after you use the RAF, you need to follow it with a good wax polish.

The blue carpet is just like the sky...except it's on the floor! LOL!

• User
    13 years ago

Used oak tint on oak cabinets and my results were similar to yours. :c(

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

I think it's probably not penetrating the lacquer that's already on there. I used it on a piece of wood that had the lacquer completely worn off and it really worked great. Then I used it on my cabinets, couldn't really see a difference other than it looked shiny. Try sanding maybe? Interested to see how it turns out.

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

I just tried some today on my bathroom cabinet, I was hoping to give them a slight boost of color (from honey to oak, not a big leap) but it just looked like thin brown Pledge on it and no penetration, I rubbed it off with denatured alcohol and went out and bought some gel stain (tomorrow's project). lol

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

There have been a few threads in the past about this. I really wish, with everything in me, I would've known about this a few years ago before I started to strip an old vanity. Anyhow, are some good reads..

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1017251912454.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wood/msg101528128953.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1017341019172.html

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I've used it on several pieces (vintage mahogany such as your chair) and have always had fairly good results. The product does have it's limitations as it's used mostly to restore the existing finish and not to refinish so areas (such as deep scratches, water damage or crackling) where the finish has completely worn away will not be completely fixed. There is a fine line between rubbing in the finish so that it soaks in and rubbling so hard that you rub away the old finish so you do need to use care in areas where the original finish has worn away.

I've heard and tried various methods of cleaning from the Murphy Oil Soap, Dawn dish soap and mineral spirits. My last two projects, I was lazy and did not clean at all since I've heard that RAF has agents that clean as well.

I also use the 0000 steel wool to apply the RAF before wiping off with the lint free rag. I often tear up an old bedsheet or T-shirt for my rags. I will start that way and then often will repeat 2-3 times as needed, sometimes allowing it to sit 5-10 mins. before wiping away. I also use the Feed 'n Wax product as it protects the restored finish from water stains, etc.

Often my results while much improved over the original, are imperfect, at the same time much better than the alternative of refinishing which can damage the value of a piece and you loose the patina of age. One of the things that appeals to me about antique/vintage furniture are some the "character" marks which go with an old piece with an original finish.

If you are still dissatisfied, you may also want to try one of the colored wax crayons that you can find in the varnish section of your hardware store--which are used to fill in nicks and gouges.

Here are the end tables I recently restored.

Before:

After (including the Feed 'n Wax):

My dining room chairs I did a few years ago and they did not come out so well as the nightstands. There were some areas on the upper backs of the chairs which were probably handled a lot over the years, probably had greasy buildup and were cleaned so hard the finish had partially worn away. Or perhaps it was some UV damage? Whatever the reasons, these areas also didn't restore so well and are lighter as a result. It was with these areas I realized that if I rubbed too hard, I only worsened the problem as I would rub whatever was left of the existing finish away. I like to think of it as "character".

Here are the leg sections.

Before (you can see areas where finish has worn away--this I also had to be careful with not to buff too hard with the steel wool or I'd rub the finish right off):

After:

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow....beautiful!
    We got steel wool today and will try it, and see what happens!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Do show your after pics. Your chair looks like it should restore beautifully. If the wood has any type of sealer like polyurethane, the RAF will not penetrate which is why I think some here have not had good results; but it does not look like it does from the pics and age of the piece.

Personally, I would not use sandpaper as the RAF may soak in unevenly. Another thing I do with my chairs is to remove the old metal caps at the feet and replace with felt--esp. if you have hardwood floors as the metal caps will scratch your floor.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Well, it was a bust for me. Other than making the intact finish shiny, it didn't do much at all. As far as scratch covering goes, I've had much better results with Old English Scratch Cover and a stain pen.

It seems to essentially be a solvent with a stain and wax mixed in. I think it would do a fine job if you just needed to clean and polish, but for "restoring a finish", no.

Has anyone had any luck using the Formby's products? The one that actually re-amalgamates the finish? Do they even still make it?

• Penelope
    13 years ago

"Has anyone had any luck using the Formby's products? The one that actually re-amalgamates the finish? Do they even still make it?"

I used that years ago on an old dark-stained oak desk, and it did a great job. I don't know whether they still make it or not.

That same desk needs some work now from damage from a leaking plant, including some raised grain. I'm going to try the RAF as a first step, but if it doesn't work I may try to find that refinisher again.