Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

Help with trim colors

jackson2348
10 years ago

Hi all, we are in the midst of a new build and I'm having trouble with my vision for the trim. My trim throughout the house, including cabinetry, will be BM simply white, which is pretty white. My thought has been in the family room, dining, and kitchen to paint the window sashes and door slabs SW Black Fox, which is a brownish dark charcoal. Problem space:

Trim is not in yet, so the spaces between windows and transforms will be trim, not drywall. My issue is the transoms over the doors is a different size than the transoms over the windows. I'm afraid painting the transom sashes will emphasize the disparity. I thought about just painting the door slabs, and not the windows, but there aren't any more doors in the main living space and so the color wouldn't be repeated.

WWYD? I could MAYBE paint the transoms out the white trim color, and still do the window sashes charcoal, since the other windows don't have transoms. Any other ideas?

Comments (14)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I would go ahead and paint the doors in your charcoal and the trim in white. It'll be beautiful. You can always choose a softer white for all of the trim. BM White Dove is a wonderful white for trim. My interior doors and trim is all in White Dove (trim of choice on Cape Cod now per pro painters) and have black iron hardware. It's very nice.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I just did a quick Google search. You see it both ways - dark doors with dark transoms and dark doors with white transoms. I understand your dilemma but I would treat the doors and windows the same, regardless of transom size. I also would do all dark, because I think it will look dramatic and fab and really pop, but it could work either way.

Good luck!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the idea of a deep color for the windows and door slabs. I think it will be stunning either way!

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Black fox is a fabulous color, there is so much depth to it---- I just LOVE it. We used it in our office building and it is a fantastic black / charcoal /brown. All in one color!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

What a pretty room! Am i missing something, the transoms look very similar to me.

I totally agree with using a dark color muntin on a window wall. It makes it disappear into the landscape view.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the encouragement! My builder, who is fairly design savvy, is not sold, and DH is zero help.

Mtnrd, the window transoms are about 3-4" shorter (height) than the door transoms. Maybe it shows up better in this view:

We installed them at the same level, and will have a wider trim piece between. It may not even be noticeable when it's all trimmed and painted, but it's screaming at me now. I just don't want it to scream any louder.

Tibbrix, I LOVE white dove. Unfortunately, it goes too gray for my warm palette. I'm using Schumachers Hothouse Flowers for the DR drapes and a couple of pillows in the LR, and I'm pulling all my colors from that.

I'm using Simply white on the trim, and Elephant Tusk on the walls. Debating going with another color on the island, but if we do the black fox windows and doors, we'll likely keep it white. Elephant Tusk:

• theclose
    10 years ago

Your fabrics and colors are gorgeous! I think the Black Fox will look amazing. Can't wait to see it finished!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Jackson, I used BM Simply White when we repainted all the trim and doors in our house and I'm very happy with the results. It is a great crisp white but not stark.

I also used the same Schumacher fabric when we did drapes for our guest house. I did a Stark metallic sisal wallpaper, blue sofas and a "crazy" orange on the arm chairs. Below is the inspiration photo I used from Houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Schumacher Hot House fabric[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/2010-colorado-homes-and-lifestyles-home-of-the-year-traditional-living-room-denver-phvw-vp~247426)

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chipsa, Great minds must think alike. I have these chairs and ottoman

At the upholsterers as we speak being done in this orange

I'm using some indigos and greens too. My DHs response was "ummmmm, orange? Really?"

I told him when we started building I was going to use color in this house, and lots of it. Hopefully I can pull it off without it looking like a clown house :)

• chispa
    10 years ago

Jackson, I like your orange for the chairs. Mine is brighter and sometimes wish I had toned it down to something like yours because it has been very hard to find a rug that goes with my orange fabric. I have some other orange chairs in my family room too and a red sofa in the living room. Got tired of brown/beige as the main colors. My DH likes the brighter colors and I'm sure yours will too when the room is done.

Are you doing trim on the drapes? I have dangly blue bobbles on the leading edge of the panels. I can look for details/name if you are interested.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chispa, I'd love details on the trim you used if you have it. Thanks!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Jackson, found them. Don't know how to do 2 links, so I'll do 2 posts with the links.

This is the one I used on the drapery panels

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabricut trim on panels

• chispa
    10 years ago

This is the one I used on a valance with the same fabric. I like both of them equally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trim used on valance with same fabric

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chispa, thanks! Both are lovely. I'll call for a sample of that blue for sure when I get closer.