Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crozzroad

Living Room pics

crozzroad
10 years ago

Hello All
I'm in the process of finishing my formal living room, that badly needed a coffee table and extra seating, already bought a table or two, so was hoping to see your living rooms for inspiration .
There are a few old posts, but most of the pictures are expired, so thought of posting the topic once more . I will post my living room picture as soon as I assemble the coffee table :-)

Thanks in advance !

Comments (41)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of my living room though it is very washed out looking in this photo.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

And from the other side.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Well, here's mine; almost complete. Not formal at all so may not be of much use to you. But I like it!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love your living room Violet. I actually love your whole home. Its so unique, extremely charming, and full of character.

Our living room, I guess, looks a bit on the formal side but I can tell you we kick up our feet and don't baby the room at all. We definitely LIVE in it!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

that's terrific! and I appreciate your kind words.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 23:15

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Not formal but here is mine:

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Badgergirl, I may have commented on this a long time ago, but I just love sunken living rooms. Is "sunken" the right word? A house in town was for sale that had one and I tried to talk my DH into buying it just for the living room. lol

Crozzroad, at this moment I'm waiting for my new coffee table to arrive! I sold my old one and boy is it weird not having one right now.

My LR isn't formal though, but when the table does come in I'll post pictures.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oakleyok, I've been awaiting news of the arrival of your coffee table. Every so often, the past couple of days, I've thought, "I should email her and ask her if it's arrived", but I know it's too soon. I can't wait to see it in your room! Meanwhile, here is my living room.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

oooh, Tribbiix, I love your ceiling, the door hinges, and those sconces! That room is calling out to me.

I don't have a formal living room. Just a big family/living room in my ranch style home.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Thanks Alex! It was an outbuilding on a dairy farm in 1880, probably the room where the farmhands came in to eat and warm up. I use it in the winter (In the spring and summer, my porch becomes the living room). It's VERY cozy. There is a 1/2 bath behind a matching door to the right of the fireplace! Lol. Here it is from the other direction, to give you a full pic of the room.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Lovely! Perfect for those cooler months, I agree.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Violet, love that ottoman!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Tib, I just now looked up the tracking of the table and it says estimated delivery is TOMORROW! Yay!!!

Now I'm waiting for my table and two chairs to come back from painting and I think I'll be good to go for the room Lamp came yesterday and I moved the table from the window. ;)

Hey, show them your attic room.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Woo hoo, Oakleyok! So excited for you. Cannot wait to see it!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, May 15, 14 at 19:15

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Tib, I LOVE your living room, it is so inviting and warm.

Badger, sunken living rooms are awesome, and yours is beautiful.

I commented on one of Violet's posts about that fabulous ottoman. I have a serious case of ottoman envy.

Oakley, I can't wait to see your table in place. I have been anxiously waiting for the final pic!

It makes me happy to see the rooms of fellow GW members. They are all so different and all seem to convey the personalities of the owners.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Thanks Holly-kay for the compliment.

I had the same thought as you, that it is so interesting and fun to see all the different tastes and styles.

• roarah
    10 years ago

What lovely rooms!
    Holy-kay I love your room! the chesterfield is perfect with the wood pieces and the upholstered chairs keep it all from being too masculine. Lovely all together!
    I only have one living room so it is also a tv room but I tried to keep it from being to den like for it is often used for entertaining too.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

OK, I straightened up a bit :) Our Living room, where we do everything but eat meals.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Alex, are those dressers in your room? I love them!

Glad you showed the pic, Tib. I want to take a nap in there.

Holly, it's nice someone else who has a curio cabinet. I know people think it's "old lady' furniture, but eh, I like them.

Roarah, I bet your room is especially cozy at night...or when it's snowing. I love those colors which is one of the reasons I like Winter so much. Not sure if any of that made sense. lol

• crozzroad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love love these rooms ! thanks much for taking your time to post your pics . I think I misled you by mentioning 'formal' living room.. my bad ! we have a family room, where we spent most of our time, catching up on reading,tv or just lazing around.. so mainly the living room is for receiving guests/visitors .. but at the same time want it to be inviting and warm and not at all a sacred place .. It is really interesting to see how each one of you have mixed and matched the furniture; last but not least, beautiful accessories !

holly-kay - there is nothing washed out in your living room .. I liked how the rug pulled in all the colors from the room

Violet.West - loved your metal embossed stool , can it be used as an additional seating as well ?

• crozzroad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oakleyok - glad to know that you too bought yours online . I was a bit skeptical buying my coffee table online (wayfair), took a chance and it dint disappoint . please post your pictures when you get a chance ..

Tibbrix - totally agree with alex9179, I too bought a shutter window, so was happy to see yours :-) the bunk bed looks so cheery !

roarah - so do you have your french door painted in two colors , inside and outside ? that's a smart thing to do ! love your light colored sofas , have been eying on a white sofa for so long !

alex9179 - this is what I mean by warm and inviting , it is literally glowing ! beautiful :-0

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Yes, oakleyok! We have DH's cds (taking up most of the tall one) and the movies/games are in the low dresser. I looked for a piece for so long, then gave up and used our bedroom furniture, hahaha. They had newspaper lining the drawers from 1954, when we bought them.

Thank you crozzroad, that's such a kind thing to say.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Roarah, I could totally love curling up on your luscious sofa with a hot cup of coffee. I adore the colors in your room. Holy cow, I adore your beautiful stairway.

Alex, I love your room and how beautifully it all goes together. I remember when you found that glorious rug. It looks fabulous in your room.

Crozzroad I will be looking for your finished room. I am so glad that I had GW when I was redoing my living room.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay, love your room. Looks like it can fit all sorts of occasions-- from relaxing together to hosting formal parties.

Violet, your room makes me think that many, many intimate conversations have been had there, many books read. So inviting.

Badger, I love sunken living rooms, too. And yours has so much glorious light.

Tibbrix, the ceiling alone is just gorgeous. Beautiful!

Roarah, your home is just lovely. Sophisticated yet approachable.

Alex, I love the "color story" you have going on there. And that rug! I remember it-- so glad you got it. Perfect!

I can't bear to show mine yet . . .it's been a year w/my horrible paint color. Waiting for the Sherwin-Williams sale and then I'm painting!!!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Love these -- so many nice rooms!

Thank you, Anele.

Crozzroad: "And Violet.West - loved your metal embossed stool , can it be used as an additional seating as well ? "

--yes, and it has storage inside too. Bought from World Market.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Thank you, I feel just as warm inside as my yellow and orange room :) It's an example of gray walls not making the room feel cold. I needed that contrast in our hot climate!

That rugâ¦so thankful I came here instead of talking myself out of it, like I do with so many things. It ended up being perfect.

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

I love something in everybody's rooms:

Holly-kay: Love that big chesterfield

Violet: My living room is closer to your room style - stuff that makes me happy and very casual. Nice mixture of accessories.

Badgergal: I've got a sunken living room also. Was your house built in the '80s? Wish I had your sunlight.

Tibbrx: That ceiling is to die for!

Roarah: I love the color combos you've got going - the rug, wood floors, couch, wall colors - stunning.

Alex: If you would move that beautiful couch with the deep cushions directly in front of the TV I would be right at home.

Good job all.

This post was edited by finallyhome on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 19:00

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Tibbrix,
    Love that LR ceiling!

Roarah,
    Weren't you making new window seat cushions, IIRC? Did I miss that when I was away?

Alex, You did such a great job of massing shapes, that it does not read at all as two BR dressers lined up. Kudos

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Oakleyok, I have posted my living room once before and think you did mention liking it's "sunken-ness" How's that for a made up word. I think it's the wood floors around it that make it look nice. Thank you for the compliment.
    Anele and Finallyhome, yes I am lucky that the room has those skylights because it actually faces north and those small windows by the fireplace wouldn't do much alone. Did you notice how my crazy tall plant is leaning towards the skylights. Looks like its time to turn the plant 180 degrees.
    Finallyhome, you are correct, the house was built in 1988, we purchased it about 12 years ago. Back in the late 70's we owned a townhouse with a sunken family room. I wonder if anyone ever does sunken rooms in new construction these days.
    I love seeing everyone's spaces. We certainly are blessed to have such nice homes.

• selcier
    10 years ago

We rent - so no painting the walls. :( And this is the only living room. But I love this thread and want to keep it going!!

• selcier
    10 years ago

...and from the other angle.

We are closing on a home in May so I can't wait to post pictures of the 'updated' room when its done.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Selcire, nice room! I love the chairs. I have that fabric on a Swedish bench and am adding a roman shade of the same fabric to our breakfast room.

Congrats on your new home!

• Rudebekia
    10 years ago

Here's mine, in a 100 year old house.

• Rudebekia
    10 years ago

Another angle:

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Marita, I'll be over in a bit with my coffee to enjoy it in your glorious living room! Those colors are right up my alley!

Do you mind if I ask if you decorated the room yourself?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Marita, so beautiful! Old houses make me sigh and smile. The windowsâ¦the crown mouldingâ¦the woodworkâ¦

As the saying goes, they don't make 'em like they used to.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Really lovely, Marita!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

All these rooms are beautiful and all so different, different tastes, different colors, and different personalities no doubt, but all beautiful.

VioletWest, I love your console. Would like to know if you purchased it that way or if you finished, had it finished, what color paints, what kind. Nosy me.

Alex, I like the way you have used the (probably what belonged to a bookcase headboard) the chests from the 1950s-1960s. How unique (to me).

Girls, you have all outdone yourselves. I am not going to address each one individually because I might, with my vision today, miss one and I would never want to do that as there is no one lovelier than the next.

• noellabelle
    10 years ago

We decided to go with giant ottomans instead of a coffee table to make our sofa extra loungeable, but here is our living room.

• Rudebekia
    10 years ago

Hi oakley, sorry I didn't view this thread for a few days. Yes, I decorated the room myself (my whole house myself!). I just happened to like the colors--burgundy, gold. They suit an upper Midwest vibe, especially long winters. Most of the room (most of my house) is antiques gleaned here and there, most locally and some (coffee table) on ebay. The only new pieces (well, about 20 years old now) are the matching loveseat and chair, done in a burgundy fabric. Paint is a Laura Ashley gold; trim an antique white (yellowish tones). Rug is wool from now-defunct Daytons (Marshall Fields). The straight chair to the right is the first antique I bought for a song, refinished and had reupholstered; I recall pulling out mounds of horsehair stuffing! Anyway, thanks for asking!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

@patricia 43: "VioletWest, I love your console. Would like to know if you purchased it that way or if you finished, had it finished, what color paints, what kind. Nosy me."

Thanks -- it came that way; locally made and sourced rustic Mexican furniture.