Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Keep at top - How to post pictures here!

nanny2a
12 years ago

This thread will describe how to post pictures from a photohosting site, from a PDF file, or from some other location on the web.

First, though, where are your pictures? If they are on your computer only, you will need to upload them to somewhere on the web for the rest of us to see them. I upload pictures to PhotoBucket, but there are other photo-hosting sites available. For example: Picasa, Filckr, Webshots, Snapfish.

Open an account w/PhotoBucket or other photo hosting site.

Take a picture using a digital camera (or film camera, but get your pictures on a disk when they're developed & download them to your computer)

Resize your pictures so they're not too big, generally no more than 400x300 (or 300x400)

Resize keeping the same proportions so they don't get distorted...i.e., don't specify a specific size, use %-ages or similar

[You can also often resize pictures at your photohosting site, but it's faster to do it on your computer]

Upload your pictures to your photo account

Find the label that contains the HTML Code link to the picture and copy it

Paste it into the thread's "Message" box ()

Click the "Preview" button.

You will now see the picture.

Comments (54)

• auntiem8
    12 years ago

I had trouble resizing photos on my computer. I would resize in photo bucket but sometimes it would not take and I spent too much time checking my preview message to make sure the size was not too large. Newbie mistake.

Then I noticed you can go into account settings, then click on the album settings tab. There is an upload option where you can choose what size the pictures will be. Problem solved.

• bettymnz4
    12 years ago

bump

• ttodd
    12 years ago

bump

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I like using TinyPic.com for posting my pictures here. Set the picture size for message board, then copy and paste the HTML for Websites code into your post. Don't use the code for forums and message boards - it doesn't work for this forum. You can use it with or without an account.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

Since is a picture is worth a thousand words, thought I would post this one..

{{!gwi}}

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Message above this shows it all.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Bump

• User
    12 years ago

Actually, my smugmug account does not post photos directly that way, which is why I posted the alternate instructions.

As an aside, does anyone know why photobucket photos are so frequently pulled from posts? I can understand if someone is linking to copyrighted photos, but occasionally the posters' own pictures are pulled. .

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Bumpity bump

• enduring
    12 years ago

Kswl, I think the posted pictures get pulled because when the poster changes their photo location in their photobucket account, the link to the posting is lost. It has happened to me for that reason. People sometimes try to reorganize their account albums and then the links to the post are broken. So, after my error, my recommendation is to organize your albums according to projects, or what ever, before you start posting to this site. Then you wont be fiddling around with the location and thus loosing the links. For example I even have an album just for images that are holding other peoples images that didn't know how to post and I did it for them. I try to have all my settings set as private so that other images can't be viewed, only the ones posted. I notice some people even put a watermark on their own images, I think that is a good idea. I haven't done that yet but I plan to one of these days:)

• nellie820
    12 years ago

Terri....I like tinypic too, thanks to you. Have you found a way to upload more than one photo at a time? I don't have or want to create an account. Thanks.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I think that you do need to have an account to post multiple pics at one time to Tinypic. I like having an account, because I can then post the same pic again, or just look for it for reference. I don't put anything on there that I don't mind if all the world sees.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Skimmed & didn't see it mentioned. There is also the Test Forum. Practice to your hearts content, that's what it's for. :)

• User
    12 years ago

If you delete photos from your account, they will no longer show up in a post also.

I find that the preset large setting is good for resizing photos. I wouldn't go smaller than medium because it's makes the picture harder for some to see. Also wouldn't go any bigger than the large.

Just another note, sometimes when previewing, after you resize and are ready to post, the photos still look HUGE in the preview but appear the correct size when viewed in the thread later. I don't know why this is but as long as you resize them, it should be ok. However, when previewing, if you copy the HTML code as shown above, that 'will' show up if you did it right.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Shee, it's because the pictures are stored in the cache on your computer in the larger size.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Nanny2a,

I wanted to respond to your other 'how to post a pic' thread w/o posting on it. Even threads that have no responses will begin to sink to the bottom so you eventually have to respond to it to bump it up.

Maybe you can check w/ the moderator to see if there is a way to permanently keep a 'How to post pics' thread at the top.

• natal
    12 years ago

Nanny, your other thread is also incomplete. If you read Kswl's post on this thread you'll see that there are alternate methods for posting photos from other photo-hosting sites as well as from the entire internet.

• lauriedeee
    11 years ago

just bumping

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

To keep pictures from getting too large, after the img src=" " add width="440" then the closing bracket. It will make sure the pics are posted at a reasonable size.

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump

• steve_fl
    11 years ago

bump

• lala girl
    11 years ago

Bumping

• beckyg75
    11 years ago

bump!

• amj0517
    11 years ago

A bump for this topic and a question:

Does anyone use snapfish for sharing pictures on this forum? If so, can you tell me how to do it please?

I have a photobucket account that I usually use but for some reason I cannot get logged in. Rather than open yet another account on another website I thought I would see if my existing snapfish account would work. I have the pictures loaded to snapfish already but I cannot get them to appear in my post on GW. There is a section to "share with a link" and this appears there:

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=........../COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Perhaps I just need help with the HTML code to use this link in my post.

TIA.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I've been using Flickr, and it's incredibly easy and fast. I'm a complete technodolt, I don't understand how to do half of what you all are talking about, and if I can do it...

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

Bump.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

bumpity bump bump bump

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

terriks, are you dragging your teddy bear behind you down the stair...?

• susieq07
    11 years ago

They've made it so easy now, just save your photo to your desktop then browse to pick it up there, if it needs editing, resizing etc. do all of that before you save it to your desktop. then if you choose to keep it make a new folder to drop it ibnto on your desktop.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

bump

• Janice742
    11 years ago

OK -- so I can't use my iPhoto? I need to transfer photos to another site first (photo bucket, etc)

Sometimes my iPhoto works - but I can only post one photo at a time. The only photos I seem to able to post are those taken from my iPhone and then transferred to my iPhoto. Those uploaded from my camera are too large, and I don't know how to resize them.

Why can't things be easy?

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I have been using the (relatively) new browse feature here so I can upload from the files on my PC. However, I haven't figured out how to get more than one picture using the browse feature.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Thank you KSWL! It worked!

• susieq07
    11 years ago

I upload a few photo's at one time, read my prior post here, it's easy here's photo's I combined using photoscape, then saved to my desktop, to browse and load here:
    Example:

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

Bump TTT

• susieq07
    11 years ago

Bump.....

• yayagal
    11 years ago

BUMP

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I've never knew how to post an internet found photo into a post. Hopefully this works.

This post was edited by debrak_2008 on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 21:33

• Janice742
    11 years ago

bump

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

BUMP

• patricianat
    11 years ago

okeydokey.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Lumpy bumpy

• Hogette-gw
    11 years ago

Just a teeny bump

• maryinthefalls
    11 years ago

Bump

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

bump

• pschul05
    11 years ago

bump

• aviolet6
    7 years ago

Thanks for this. I'm going to see if it helps me. I'm always behind on technology.

• User
    7 years ago

Why not just insert them from your computer?

• enduring
    7 years ago

I can't use photo hosting sites like Photobucket any longer, now that Houzz purchased Garden Web several years ago. I have a Mac, and that may be why. But others with PC may have a different experience. I cant remember the details, but when the change happened, PC could get into a link for there Photobucket account I believe, then post. On my mac that wasn't an option. I have to post directly from my computer now.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES