Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belladom_gw

help with dining room part 2

belladom
10 years ago

Here is the same room with a white tablecloth, and showing nearby kitchen area.... I could replace table with a rectangle one, cover chairs with white covers... etc.??

Help!

Comments (16)

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

Love the dining set. Part of the problem is lack of accessories to define this space and lack of color. Look at re-upholstering the chairs to a bold stripe.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

So instead of having two threads, you should put both of them together; maybe move this pic to the other thread. You can't put more than one pic in a post unless you use something like photobucket, but just reply to your own thread and add the new pics there. Sometimes you have to make a small change to the title of the post or it will reject it, but not always. Just keep replying and adding as many pics as you want. I'm going to reply to your other post.

• belladom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You do??! like it.. I mean.
    what I don't like about it is the table and chairs are curvy, fussy while square, rectangle, salvaged wood, etc. is in... not that I have to be in on the latest trend but it would be nice to not have a nearly 40-year old outdated look.
    I don't have a lot of color because the granite in the kitchen is busy (another issue addressed at kitchen forum but I'm learning to live with-see attached)... the piano pretty much has to stay as there is no where else.
    It does look better with the white table cloth I think... but hard to eat with it on ... no kids, just dogs... and a husband

• belladom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is the first photo of the dining set, still sideways unfortunately

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I think it looks better without the table cloth. I think a nice runner down the center with something placed in the middle like a gorgeous large low bowl. Now, if you really want some that's not 40 years old, then sell this set on Craigslist and get what you want.
    To do justice to any set you have to embellish the background. For instance, the art over the piano is way too small. If you could find a long mirror no more than a foot high then it would reflect more light in to the room via the chandelier. For me, I'd have to change out the chandelier. Are you planning on any window treatments?
    I just looked at the photo again and I suggest you get a different set. Something more currant with chairs that are not so tall and perhaps a round or oval table. You have many square objects and you need to soften them with softer shapes. Only you can decide, if it were me, I'd sell and buy.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I think it looks better without the table cloth. I think a nice runner down the center with something placed in the middle like a gorgeous large low bowl. Now, if you really want some that's not 40 years old, then sell this set on Craigslist and get what you want.
    To do justice to any set you have to embellish the background. For instance, the art over the piano is way too small. If you could find a long mirror no more than a foot high then it would reflect more light in to the room via the chandelier. For me, I'd have to change out the chandelier. Are you planning on any window treatments?
    I just looked at the photo again and I suggest you get a different set. Something more currant with chairs that are not so tall and perhaps a round or oval table. You have many square objects and you need to soften them with softer shapes. Only you can decide, if it were me, I'd sell and buy.

• belladom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have now put a more colorful art work on the piano (not hung yet). Re the mirror, I do have a large mirror over the couch nearby, so enough mirrors for one open floor plan I think... If I get a new dining set, then there is that to figure out...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would replace the fabric with a more contemporary fabric, maybe something colorful or even white linen, or slip covers ---

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

You can totally have patterned fabrics in your kitchen or surrounding space even though you have a patterned counter in your kitchen. Just choose a pattern that is larger or smaller than the counter pattern and make sure the colors are complementary.

I have almost the same granite that you do and chose a very large moire plaid fabric for my kitchen valences. One of the colors in the plaid is the same tan/cream as is in the granite. Looks great!

If you don't feel bold enough for patterns, minimally you can add visual interest to solid color fabrics by choosing cool trim like beading or dangling tassels, braided trim to follow the outline of the chair, etc.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I second Jewel. You can definitely have other patterns with your granite. Imagine how boring all of our houses would be if we let the granite dictate our decorating.

I like your table and chairs and wouldn't get rid of them. I would however get new fabric for the chairs. Something with print.

Take the tablecloth off because it fights with the nearby sofa. Since the table is close to the LR the only fabric that should be on it is a runner. With pattern and color. :)

• belladom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow... not sure I can handle bold prints... Would orange covers for the chairs work? I like amber/orange... however isn't the table still too old fashioned, and the chandelier and chairs. I like the chairs as accent but the whole set up looks like a grandmother's home, which in fact it sort of was

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

While I like the set, it's clearly not to your taste since you've mentioned you like a more contemporary/industrial look. So, I don't think you'll be any happier with this set after upholstering the chairs to another solid color. Someone above suggested putting this set on Craigslist and getting what you really want. I'd have to agree.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

IMHO your table and chairs with the table cloth look like a great building block for the look you want. They tie in the kitchen cabinets and work nicely with the chandelier.

I like the chairs as they are.

I suggest adding some textural accessories on the table cloth.

Pier 1 has these very nice oval whitewashed rattan place mats. They would add some texture and informality to the setting, and be good for everyday eating. Then instead of a runner I think a super large shallow tray or crate, in the table center, with some accessories would be just wonderful. Add in candles and large pebbles for 1 look, salt pepper cream sugar and candlesticks for a different look. Small potted ivy and a few framed photos for a completely different look. Contemporary vase with fresh flowers and some votive candles. Whatever you would find joy in seeing every day.

I think you are like me and find a lot of patterns a bit dizzying and too much visual noise. So I would try to add some rough texture, and then some neutral but shiny items, but mostly neutrals with only 1 or 2 accent colors that tie in with your wall art, and the living room.

• belladom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I do get dizzy from too much, and am a bit of a minimalist. I do actually like the tables, chairs, etc. and I like Louis the something style.... only the style doesn't match the rest of the house, which is more of a modern Craftsman... am aiming to tie all in together somehow. Not sure about the accessories above... sounds nice though.. any pictures?

If I do switch it all out, how about something like this?

• belladom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or there is this one.... oak veneer from Macy's....

• Fred27
    10 years ago

A dining room doesn't have to be a fancy, formal space. It should be casual, comfortable area for dining and entertaining,

Here is a link that might be useful: Tidy and Shinny