Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Concrete Planters

Posted by maryelizabeth78 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 17:06

I posted this on the garden side, but thought some of you might know the answer as well ----

We have 2 small concrete planters that I would like to paint. They are currently their "natural" concrete color (no paint) and I'd like to paint them black. Has anyone done this before? Do I use a specific kind of paint? Should I use some kind of special primer?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Concrete Planters

You might try Patio Paints™ available at Michael's, Joann's, or Beverly's if you have those kind of craft stores. It comes in small bottles. I've used it to paint my cement leaf castings and it works very well for that purpose. Then I spray with a water sealant to protect them because I leave them outside. I don't need to prime them before hand. I just put a few drops in water and brush on multiple coats with a paint brush until I get the desire color. Good luck with your project!

o

There are some fabulous spray paints out now that say they work on masonry. We recently (OK, Hubby) painted some planters and they look FABULOUS. Of course, it was very recent, so much too soon to tell how they will wear in real life.

The paint I currently love is a hammered metal-look that really looks like hammered metal! Rustoleum and Krylon both make it.

o

Here's a link that might help

Here is a link that might be useful: painting concrete

o

Having been in the concrete biz for years, I'd recommend Krylon or Rustoleum...any GOOD spray paint. You don't need to do anything to prep them. Just be sure that they're well dry first. Then give 'em a few coats of spray paint. I use a clear spray paint after I've done a few coats (and let dry).

I've got pieces that have been out in the yard for years and it's held up just fine.

o

Fantastic! I'll try and post some before and after's when I'm done :) Now off to Lowes...

o

I painted some cheap terra cotta pots with leftover cream color exterior paint that I had used on the trim of my house. Worked great. They even looked good when the paint started crackling a few years later with the terra cotta showing through.

Tuesday

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here