Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

Post your pics of DIY valance/curtain

alex9179
13 years ago

Cooperbaily and yesican have posted pictures of their end products in other threads, so I thought one to showcase our efforts may provide some inspiration to others. I liked how yesican used two complementary fabrics for her's and I may try that when I'm more comfortable with sewing. I'd love to see what others have come up with.

Here are mine. My kitchen window faces west and I needed something to block the eye-searing sunbeam in the afternoon and couldn't find ready-made bamboo blinds the right size. I've had the fabric for a loooong time and was just too nervous about messing up to try it before. I have a new attitude!

This is one I did for my friend with her fabric. Looks so cute in her light blue powder room! I should have taken a pic of it in there, oh well.

Comments (21)

• doteroo
    13 years ago

Great idea! Thanks for starting this.

• prairiemom61
    13 years ago

This is the "before" picture of my DD's kitchen. Dark, old cabinets, with a napkin temporary valance.

This is the "after" photo. After we painted the cabinets we wanted a quick new valance. I had forgotten to bring my sewing machine, and stitch-witchery didn't work, so we used safety pins to build this valance! I'll fix it when I return with my machine. Next up, new gray countertops and white backsplash. The valance really pops in this "new" old kitchen! (We tore down the old scalloped wood trim that half hid the curtain. We then put up a small piece of crown to edge the shelf. They love it.)

• User
    13 years ago

I'm so glad My3dogs had posted her directions. I never thought to make a square and use ties to hold it up. Also now a fan of fabric glue.

Here's the first one I made. When I was finished, I realized I would've like it better with more fabric but I never bothered to redo.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Safety pins! Who would have thought? That's a good idea for when you aren't sure about how it will look but need a better visual than holding it up to the window :)

Shee, wonderful fabrics. I love the trim you used. That's something I'm waffling about with my own. I like it but feel it may be too much in most of my rooms. I don't even have fringe on my pillows. I think it would have been a great addition to the blue toile, though. I'll have to talk to my friend and see if she'd like that added.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

That toile drape has nice legs :p.

I have never made a valance because I think of them as looking like that napkin mess above but you ladies have convinced me I'm an idiot! Can someone link the instructions? I'd like to make some for my kitchen :).

On another sewing note, I've been purchasing hand embroidered linen kitchen cloths to make cafe curtains for my laundry room and future mud room. I found the daily ones that were popular in the 30s that say "wash day, iron day etc" for the laundry room and on this last vacation found ones that cornical the first meeting of a couple up to the marriage, all hand done on soft linen :). I can't wait to finish those :). They're so sweet. I'm just not sure if I want to line them or not so I'm waiting.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Igloo, those sound adorable. Can't wait to see a pic.
    I, also, didn't care for valances until I realized that they don't all look the same. It's a nice way to introduce pattern in my solid color world.

Below is the link to the thread explaining how to make my3dogs version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy sew valance

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I made these roman shades and valances for my living room:

• natesgram
    13 years ago

Such talent above. I wish I was better at deciding what color pillows and accessories go with my window coverings. Here are a few from the past.
    The green valance below was hung on a pvc pipe.

This floral fabric was on a cornice which we later recovered in a solid when we sold the home. The realtor said it made it more neutral for others.

The solid for selling (different color drape)

Faux romans in current apartment.

• annkathryn
    13 years ago

My sea & sand bathroom:

• ecolove
    13 years ago

Cool!

• ckstjamj22
    13 years ago

Here's my living room valance:

spring 2010 project

• User
    13 years ago

Here's the kitchen valance that I made using a Simplicity pattern:

And a My3dogs valance in the bath. I've done over the bath since the photo was taken--I had forgotten that we used to have the wallpaper border. I've been waiting for inspiration on a new valance for that window so this is a great thread....wonderful to see all the lovely WTs.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    13 years ago

Here is the valance I made for the window above my kitchen sink:

And the one for my laundry room:

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

How about a valance not made with fabric?

• jknowles87915
    7 years ago

How did you do these? I want this in my bathroom asap lol

• TL Spain
    7 years ago

Can you share how you made this? Or did your purchase? I want this! :-) lol

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

For years I made all the valances in out bedrooms and kitchen. Pictures weren't as easily come by then but here is one of the bedrooms.

I have posted before our cornices--here dressed for Christmas:They were made from cast off cove and fluted trim.

• smosolgo68
    7 years ago

I am a novice in sewing but made 3 sets of lined rectangles attached to rod w clip hooks. For a different look , I just change to a different color in my neutral kitchen. I pull 1 panel over window to keep out afternoon sun.

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

My no-sew kitchen DIY valences...

• sivous
    7 years ago