Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Want to See My HUGE Makeover??

amykath
14 years ago

Ok this has all occured over the course of nearly 11 months. Still so much to do. I want to take some pics of the other side of the downstairs where my dining area is. I will get to that.

Here is what I have thus far..

Please feel free to comment, tell me what you like or don't or any suggestions.

I still have a great deal left to do. Have yet to grout or paint the ceiling or finish the mounding...etc

Thanks for looking!

Amy

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (35)

• iona46
    14 years ago

Just beautiful! What a great job!

• polly929
    14 years ago

WOW!
    What a transformation, looks awesome! I love the drapes and barstools.
    Well done!

• hhireno
    14 years ago

Wowza! That looks fabulous. Can't wait to see your other before & afters.
    Jean

• ttodd
    14 years ago

From house to home. Great job!

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

Seriously gorgeous. You had a great vision and it is turning out beautifully.

Since you said you are opent to questions/comments, I have just one. Are the rest of the doors in your house white? Not seeing the rest of the house, and just seeing the pics here, I would think about painting the pantry (?) white door or changing it out for one more similar to the slider and painting it in a similar fashion. Or maybe just painting it the same color as the bottom cabinets. Not really sure, but it does stand out to me.

• amykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boop,

I actually am going to replace it with a door that has frosted glass and will paint the outer wood a deep color.

However, yes all doors in my house are white. Maybe, I should paint them all dark to match?

I do agree and hate that door!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

STUNNING in a word. There are so many elements that I love, I keep going back to the pictures to look at the details.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

You have such excellent taste! I love it. But then I loved your other house too. But you've out done yourself. Love the picture grouping, drapes, island, granite, floors - everything looks perfect.

I also love your dog - he's like what are you doing Mom?

• bonnieann925
    14 years ago

Rich, luscious, yummy! That chocolate is so warm and wonderful. Great job!

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

Nothing to say but "Beautiful"!

• teacats
    14 years ago

A wonderful transformation! Magazine worthy!

Well done indeed!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

That is just down right fabulous! Take a bow.

• awm03
    14 years ago

You sure gave a blank space some wonderful character. So many details, and textures, and colors -- terrific job!

• susanilz5
    14 years ago

Just beautiful!

I have to ask about your sofa. Can you tell me about where you purchased it? Name brand or anything? It looks like what I've been searching for.

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

Fabulous! I'd love to know where you got the ... well, the EVERYTHING!! Great job!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Absolutely grogeous. Love the counter tops; what is the name of the granite?

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Very impressed.

• amykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my you all have made my year! I have not had an easy couple of years either! So, thank you, from the bottom of my heart! I have been on this site for 10 years now. I feel as if you guys know me and I know you. First, thank you so much Carol! You have been here forever too!

I have gotten a divorce and lost my mother all in two years and am starting all over. My dad has passed and I am an only child. So, my doggies are my family along with my friends and of course, my passion in remodelling and decorating! Wished I could make a living out of it! Oh that would be so wonderful!

Ok to try and answer some questions...

Counters... no clue the name and in every location it varies. However I LOVE them as they have quartz in them and it big places. I guess the closest I have seen with a name but not quite exactly the same is Delacatus.

My backsplash I got at HD for a great price. It is glass and the pics do it NO justice.

The curtains are all from JcPenny for a steal and I added the length on the long ones in the Living Room.

Funny thing is the sofa I purchased from CL and it is from Storehouse Furniture. I love that the back cushions are attached and cannot move.

The rugs are from Overstock

Shelves in kitchen and butcherblock are from Ikea.

I think that covers it

Oh and the columns are painted with that faux suede paint from Ralph Lauren.

Any other questions... I am happy to answer.

Thanks so much again to every last one of you for your kind and wonderful uplifting compliments! They mean the world to me!

Amy

• kyliegirl
    14 years ago

What color is the paint by the TV? I love this space!! You gave done an awesome job with making your house 'home'

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I admire your vision- I have no clue how you do it, from blank slate to WOW!

• User
    14 years ago

Bea-U-t-ful !

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Fantastic! I love all of it but I especially notice the window treatments on those tall windows. I would not have thought of doing them that way, and they are stunning! Magazine worthy.

You should be very proud and after your rough couple of years I hope your lovely home is a calm and happy refuge for you. (When you need that... at other times it will be a great party/entertaining place!)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

It's SO beautiful in every way! You've done a fantastic job, and I bet you and your doggies love being surrounded in such a wonderful space. I really like the drapery, as well as the black island. The floor and furnishings are warm and inviting, and it all is so relaxing to look at. I wish you the very best in your new life and home.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Wonderful! Thanks for following up!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Fabulous! How on earth did you ever come up with that particular drapery design? Not a given at all. Takes real vision. If you've answered this above and I missed it, I'm sorry--just please take it as a further compliment :)

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Very classy...you did a great job. I love your style!!!

• ljwrar
    14 years ago

I agree with Jan. These photos look like they came from a magazine.

Lisa

• loribee
    14 years ago

Amy---How LOVELY! Kudos!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I can only add to the crowd, you did an amazing job, it's warm, elegant, just beautiful. I love glass tile also. Did you shop for all new things or did you use things you had previously? Can't wait to see the rest.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

My condolences on your recent losses, Amy.

As for the makeover, holy cow & wow! What's not to like?! Nice work, and I want to echo fly's sentiments about the WTs. I don't usually get that fired up about WTs, but really zoomed in on those to take a closer look. ; )

• amysrq
    14 years ago

At a time when other people might have caved in -- lived with milk crates, eaten cereal for dinner -- you have created a beautiful haven for yourself. What an inspiration! You deserve every gorgeous square inch of that space.

I am so glad you have the unconditional love of your furbabies to keep you warm, too. :-)

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Outstanding! You've made a house a home, & a beautiful one at that. Never in a million years would I have "seen" what you saw, (potential-wise) in that room! You have quite a gift, AK! Take these photos ANYwhere you'd like a job in the design field! If there's an opening, they'll hire you on the spot.

Best wishes with your new life. You've been through some major stuff lately. Take care.

• amykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gosh! You all are so gracious. Really, you are making all of the work and debt worth it! I had second guessed myself so many times. I am not a detail oriented person except when it comes to design. I overthink it to death.

Fly and and Moon, I really appreciate your comments on the curtain and window treatments. That was really tough to get to what I have. I have some roman shades for the upper transom windows and shades that almost match the other shades (the brown trim color) on the lower windows. I knew adding curtains after everything would make it really pop. I got some for a bargain at JCpenny (along with all of my windows treatments) and then hung them as high as I could. I also bought some fabric that coordinated and added it for length. I then had to get some edging material for the wrap I have around each of them. Otherwise they looked awful. Too bulky.

Kylie, I actually mixed that color myself. It is a grayish green color. The other color I thought was more of a tan (in my kitchen and dining) but it turned out looking quite green. Next to the other shade it makes it look very gray. Wish I could give you a paint name!

Amy, you are hilarious! I do love my furbabies!

Srinky, what you said is a MASSIVE compliment!

It is funny, bc I thought I would keep my place bright and airy... but everything I did kept pushing me to the darker colors. So much light comes in I had to make it cozy. It was too stark.

I have added some new photos to my webshots album of befores and afters. Here are most...

Thanks EVERYONE for ALL of your wonderful comliments! They all mean so much to me.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• nc_sandyfeet
    14 years ago

WOW!!!! Nuff said!!;)

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Beautiful. Well done.
    I will always remember your previous kitchen!

Hope you have many happy healthy years in your new home.

Smiles:)