Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

'Vase filler' type stuff for hurricane style candle holders?

Sueb20
12 years ago

I have 3 candleholders similar to the ones from Sundance (but I paid way less for mine!) -- linked below. During the holidays, I had red candles in them, and in the bottom area, I had tiny round glass ornaments. For a Halloween party, I filled them with candy corn. For spring and summer, I'm looking for ideas! Pottery Barn has a few selections, but I don't really feel like spending $50 to fill these things. I thought about fake robins eggs, but Easter will be over in a couple of weeks so I'd rather a generic spring/summer collection. Any thoughts? And/or where to order/buy stuff? I was thinking marbles would be fun, might go search now for resources. The candle holders are in my "dining room" which really is a library/knitting/coffee drinking room. Not formal at all, very eclectic style.

Here is a link that might be useful: candle holders

Comments (17)

• fully2
    12 years ago

River rocks, shells, sea glass, buttons, dried beans, coffee beans.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Here's a vase filler I'm using right now, but mine are white and yellow, for summer.

If you spray paint pinecones, you have to spray primer on them first.

{{!gwi}}

• maddielee
    12 years ago

For Spring I put dried split peas (found in the dried beans section of the grocery) and a white piller candle....

ML

• User
    12 years ago

I did a search for apothecary fillers which would be similar and this link has a ton of photos. Maybe there's something you like in the photos as well. I have one filled with buttons. I love the colors and simplicity.

Here is a link that might be useful: filler images

• teacats
    12 years ago

Let's see:

-various colors of rice in layers plus white candle

-tiny seashells in sandbox sand

-small vintage toys

-aquarium gravel (comes in lots of colors)

-jelly beans

-a slinky in each one

-ping pong balls

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Brainstorming here...

Jelly beans
    ping pong balls
    golf balls
    walnuts
    lemons
    limes
    green apples
    moss
    confetti
    pasta
    curls of wrapping paper
    little balls of yarn
    Scrabble tiles
    Legos
    Hershey's Kisses
    hydrangea blooms

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Pastel M&M's

Small colored/clear plastic eggs

Dried lavender flowers

Fine/medium pot pourri

Silk flowers taken off their stems

Dried flowers/large petals - delphinium florets or rose petals are the ones I've used

Small/medium size natural rocks - a more natural/organic look but come in many colors

Large beads if you could buy in bulk so not as expensive

Look in the bulk section of your grocery store. There are many things that can work - just pick a color you like or mix a few different ones together. Anything dried with a texture can look interesting. I've used flavored whole coffee beans and they impart a nice scent in the room for awhile.

One idea I like altho have never done yet is to plant some grass in a container and put tealights on it. Seem to recall it may have been Martha Stewart's idea. Perhaps there were small colored eggs on it as well.

I know Michaels has quite a few vase fillers such as the glass marbles, shells, rocks, etc.

Oakleyok, I love your painted pinecones! So many possibilities for color.

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Thanks for the website, I enjoyed browsing jar fillers.

ML, I did the same thing!

In the guest bath, I have my hotel soap collection (it's much larger now). It took me years to figure out that it would be more meaningful if I left the wrappers on...duh! So my later jars have soaps from Atlantis, Waldorf Astoria, The Peabody, Hotel del Coronado, etc. Too bad hotels use generic soap now.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I like a variety of moss in containers like that. Hobby Lobby/Michaels sells bags of mixed mosses.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Moss and/or moss covered "rocks" was the first thing I thought of and you can get either at the Dollar Tree for, well... a dollar!
    Shells and dried seaweed if you can get it, always reminds me of summer. This is an old picture from a past incarnation of our Ladies Parlor, but I still love the fill in the apothecary jars. You won't have as much space, but a little sand and some shells would look summery in the bottom of your candle hurricanes.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, so many great ideas! Thanks everyone! Makes me want to run out and buy some apothecary jars and use more of these ideas. There isn't really enough space in my candle holders to use, say, pine cones or lemons, but I have a great list of options now. Loving the Scrabble tiles or little balls of yarn for my particular room. Or the coffee beans... Or the dried peas...

Love your soap collection, Mustangs!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Sue, below is my go-to place for decorative items and they're very inexpensive. They have fillers and jars, dried flowers, etc.

Walmart sells nice jars at low prices also. I love jars, I have them tucked away in various places in the house!

Don't forget the short, fat jars w/silver lids. I've spray painted the lids and put matching fillers inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apothecary jars and other fine things

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Oakleyokr, What a great website. Thanks for sharing.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Oakley thanks for the website - decent pricing also.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

Pretty Mustangs! (Lunch after Easter?)

Here's a current centerpiece. 3 bags of Tuesday Morning sprakely eggs with the hanging ribbons cut off...

{{!gwi}}

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Yes to lunch after Easter! Have you been to the new Tuesday Morning?? It's huge.