Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you unduly Influenced by color names?

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 16:29

When I was in college I fell in love with a Christian Dior nail polish called "Shanghai Express".

I am still a sucker for a name.

I bought an Albertine range from Williams Sonoma (it's part of the Cornue "Fe" line and I believe only sold by WS) in a color they call Ivory but I would call "Stark White". (Photo at bottom)

I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get them to tell me a Pantone number or give me a swatch. Zero luck. It finally occurred to me to call Purcell Murray, the US distributor for LaCornue, for a sample. They sent one promptly, for which they deserve huge props as I am not their customer! (THANK YOU Purcell Murray).

Anyway, good thing they did. The sample is, well, ivory!
I color matched the metal swatch they sent to BM Old Prairie:

Since the stove looked sooooo white to me, I was just going to get a white retro fridge. They are not even on the same wall, and I am going un fitted so WTH.

I am glad I did not. the white Northstar fridge is very very white. By contrast, their bisque seems to match the ivory Albertine very very close. ...... I am only hesitating because I saw this as a kitchen with white appliances, maybe ivory, but not "bisque". Silly. Here is bisque:

Or.... I could go with a true white, since i have a large old double drainboard sink that is true white? Or I could get a custom color. The two wooden pieces are being painted FnB Teresa's green.

PS Yes, this is the third post trying to decide a fridge color since last fall. Deepest apologies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you unduly Influenced by color names?

I can't stand telling people the color of the paint in my bedroom is Quiet Moments! What a dumb name.

o

Oh I am very influenced by names of colors and products. For instance I could never by a brown paint called tobacco as I don't like smoking. I remember once not being interested in a best selling car because I did not like name.

What if all paint colors only had a number, no name? I bet many would choose differently.

Can't wait to read other responses.

o

The living and dining areas of our house is painted with Tickled Crow. The silly name makes me smile, but didn't influence during the choice process. What I do like, is that it is distinctive and easy to remember. Our guest bath is partially painted with Glass Tile. We also have a can of similarly-colored paint in storage titled Sea Glass. I am forever mixing up the names, and have occasionally almost touched up the walls with the wrong color!

The many shades of white are enough to make one scream. And matching them up to a name/brand unknown existing paint can be so frustrating and expensive. Especially since I don't really care for white.

o

Not normally, but then again, I had to buy my counter quartz...the color was chocolate truffle.

o

I try to look at paint swatches upside down. Not just because I like the sound of some names and not others, but because I can be led down a path if the name does not match what I am looking for.

Eg, I wanted a grey aqua, and my DH suggested FnB Teresa's Green. Initially, i really resisted because I don't want green, or at least what i perceive as green. If they had called it "Olde Aqua", i'd have been done!

o

You said it mtnrdredux... its the perception. Anytime you hear a name of anything you have an image in your mind. The best car in the world would never sell if its name was "Lemon".

o

debra, and the best lemon in the world wouldn't sell if its name was "car".

o

Since I can't see the name of the color when it's on the wall, not so much. Even so, there are probably colors I couldn't use, yes.

But when I was house hunting there were streets I would not look on because I thought the name was ugly and I didn't want the name as my address.

There was also a house on a very ordinary block of a mostly very fancy street, and I was afraid if I bought that house people would think I was so desperate to live on that street I would live on an "inferior" block of it. That's not too far fetched: someone I know bought a much worse house on that street rather than a nicer one around the corner because they wanted the name recognition.

o

Absolutely. If the name doesn't match the feeling I'm looking for, I pass. My favourite "white" is "French Vanilla". So tasty.

And I'd feel horrible in a room painted "Vancouver Day". (Vancouver is known for similar weather to Seattle, grey and rainy. The colour is a pale grey.) But if you called it grey bunny, it would feel so much more cozy.

My kitchen is painted "Buttered Yam", which seems appropriate for a kitchen. I also have "Metropolis" in the living room where I wanted a more "upscale" and "urban" feeling.

o

Yes, I am. It is endlessly distracting and probably influences me more than it should.

I love your ivory fridge photo, and I also love your white stove. What are your floors? If they were multi toned pale oak, then I think the combination would be beautiful. It would probably be beautiful regardless…

o

No, I don't believe paint color names influence me at all, but ineffablespace, I was house hunting over the weekend, and actually did pass looking at one house as I thought there would be no way I would live on a street with that name!! There are names of colors that I love, for example "amber" - have loved that since a child, but have never had an interest in using it anywhere....

o

A couple years ago, a paint company in Canada renamed a bunch of their colors with more "man-friendly" names. There's a very funny article here, but this chart will give you the gist:

And oh, the video that goes with this campaign is absolutely hysterical - I will link it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Very funny paint-chip-name video

o

I'm surprised by the post listing street names as a deal-breaker. I quickly tried to think of street names in my area that would nix a deal by me, and couldn't. Now I'm off to stare at maps for lousy street names...

o

lkplatow, that is hilarious.

I'd have thought, thought, that "midlife crisis" would be a red!

o

Actually, I posted some kind of summary video describing the whole project, not the actual ad campaign video. This is the right one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2EDiwIMMbc

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on this video for the full commercial....

o

We are currently re- painting an apartment building, the color is called "Fuzzy sheep" a very pale yellow. The original color was called "oriental white", white with a tint of green.....

One of my favorite whites is "Atrium white" by Benny Moore, it's got a slight tint of red..Only a painter would know........

o

Yes, I am sure I am. And I definitely think about the street name, though I haven't ever vetoed a place based on it, nor purchased because of it.

o

I'm not unduly influenced, but because I'm color-impaired and cannot tell undertones on a tiny little chip under fluorescent store lighting, I rely on names to give me a clue. So if something is named "Fern Shadow" I'm pretty sure there's green in there somewhere. Whereas a name like "Wild Stories" is no help at all.

On the other hand --

I work at a community mental health center. Several years ago we were replacing the carpet in our offices. One collection we looked at had wonderful colors and good quality ... but the color names were things like "Stark Raving Mad" and "Got the Blues" and ... well, you get the idea. We nixed those choices, based on the names.

o

Oh yes, street names. There are a lot of silly, too girly ones in 60s developments.

And of course you have all heard the bit about pairing your first dog's name with the street you grew up on, and the pairing equals your p*orn alias? (if you need one, that is). It's a hoot; mine is Buffy Willow and DH's is Snoopy Sargent. Anyone care to share theirs?

Of course the worst street names are the ones that are so affected. You know, like "The Crossings at Fox Spring Court".

I also have a house number bias. Too low, eg one digit, is new construction (meh). Too high (eg 4 digits) is too urban.

JK of course. Mostly.

o

lkplatow, thanks for posting

that is a hoot!

o

A client of mine owned two row houses on a total of five small lots. The mother, who was going to be living with them, was from China and the actual house number was very important to her. Luckily they were allowed to choose the most auspicious number combination of 5. I don't know what the process was, it wasn't quite numerology.

o

Ok the p*orn alias.....now if I use my very first dog who only lasted a few months.... it would be Hearty Minnick but if I use the next dog that last years it would be Kelly Minnick. I don't know which one should I use? LOL

As for numbers..... I love that our 4 digit number ('burbs) is the same backward and forward. I also love my home telephone number as it is almost completely in sequence. People comment on how cool that is.

Is this stuff OCD?

o

My p*orn alias would be either Tib Monmouth, Nana Monmouth, or Bambi Monmouth.

(Or, the above first names with River as the last, if you go by the street of my first five years of life).

I did not know that rule about p*orn aliases, mtnrdredux. Naughtiest I know is that green M&Ms make you randy. Guess I can now join a bunch o' p*orn sites! Woo hoo!

o

Tib,
Bambi River is a great p*orn name, congrats.

Debrak, Oh that is nice, with your house number. I have the worst cell phone number. It has no rhythm or pattern to it at all, and it has an odd "exchange" (remember those).

o

I was just thinking this morning about how I am definitely swayed by product names. I have a set of vintage glasses that I collected because the pattern name was the same as my name. I don't know that I would reject a color or product if I didn't like the name, but I would definitely be drawn to one whose name I found appealing.

Lkplatow, funny post.

o

Dh would be Teddy East and I'd be Trixie North. Good thing they don't say cat names as DH would be either fiddle foot or knucklehead, and I'd be George.

o

Annie, two great nom de ...

o

The color we chose for our front door is a pretty browny purple called of all names "Trip". Also the carpet style we picked is called Costa Concordia, which the carpet manufacturer no longer has on their website as I think it's been renamed now.

Kind of freaks me out and hope its not bad luck, eeeekkkk!

o

I need a name so I can picture the colour.

o

I have a host of street name possibilities as dad was army and we moved a lot. We once lived in a development where the street names sounded like a kid had gotten to choose them: Teeter Totter Circle, etc. I suppose my stage name could be So Long Teeter Totter. (Dog was a dachshund.).

I always think, what if one of my kids wanted to get married at home, would the address sound good? Weird and totally unlikely. I like street names with geographic or local connections like Black Walnut Lane or Osage River Drive.

I think most people must be somewhat influenced by the color names, even if it is somewhat unconscious. Don't brands put some effort and research into the names? Why bother if it doesn't influence people? I do think it would interesting to have just numbers and no names.

o

I think Donald Kaufman has just numbers, not sure if anyone else does that.

Not sure how much research they can do on naming all of the BM colors? IDK

LOL So Long Teeter Totter

o

I think Donald Kaufman has just numbers, not sure if anyone else does that.

Not sure how much research they can do on naming all of the BM colors? IDK

LOL So Long Teeter Totter

o

Here's a NYTimes article on paint names as marketing tool.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times article

o

I'm pathetically influenced paint names, which of course is probably why they do it.

This post was edited by liriodendron on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 1:05

o

mtn, I'm guessing you'll have the added benefit of the ivory Albertine and bisque Northstar better coordinating with the white marble Marmoleum you chose?

I just ordered a CornuFè in Provence blue, but I don't think the color name has much affect on me. Same thing as I choose paint colors. I also don't care much about branding as long as the look/quality fits my needs. Perhaps being a marketer causes me to be less influenced by marketing. My husband OTOH is all about the brand. :)

o

I worked for a cosmetics company for many years. It was eye-opening to see all the work that went into naming colors. And renaming colors from older trends to make them seem currently on-trend. We took many shades that were not great sellers, renamed them, and they suddenly flew off the shelves. Maybe that's why I pay little attention to paint color names.

o

So Long - Lol. What a great name for a dog, esp. a Daschund.

So Long Teeter-Totter - Lol.

Trixie North could also be a p*orn name.

o

Re street names, there was a big brouhaha in a nearby town because they were building homes and connecting two roads that were previously separated with cul de sacs. The town was going to change the name of the newer, shorter part of the street, Hunting Ridge, to the same name as the old street...Gaylor. The residents won and now, when you drive down Gaylor, you are suddenly on Hunting Ridge for a short stretch.

o

Annie, seems like every street in my new town has two names, a different one at each end. It makes giving directions a headache. It was something I noticed right away when I moved here.

o

I once looked at a house that was on 'El Cordero Ranch Springs Road'. I didn't like the house, but I was put off by the long street name too, imagining a perpetual struggle when filling out forms, ordering, etc.

o

Sugar-Plum...I have a friend who lives on that road in Martinez, GA. We all laughed when her 5 year old started school this year and they had to fill out all the forms.

o

Absolutely am influenced by the name of a color somewhat, and definitely would have to absolutely fall in love with a house on a street with a strange name.

Mtn, back to your question, I wouldn't call your stove ivory either, but it's gorgeous. Stark white, snow white, anything else but ivory.

LOL at the man-friendly and p*orn names, especially So Long! Mine would be Tippy Hillwood.

o

Thanks, outside.

I can definitely see Tippy Hillwood cavorting!

o

I'm female, but my p*rn name would be great for a guy -
Rudder Robinson.

Rudder was a Brittany as all my dogs are, and he was named for his cute little rudder of a tail.

o

LOL yes!! unduly influenced...
I'm painting my ceilings in the new house 'silver sky' a gorgeous blue, grey white which I love. Behr paint.
When I told my daughter the name of the color she immediately said "That's it!! It's the farm name!"
So it's Silver Sky Farm.
We had been debating several options for farm name, including naming it my childhood home farm's name-
Cherry Rock Farm on Cherry Rock Road. The dog's name was Jazzy, so... Jazzy Cherry? Geez...
I'll post a pic of the new farmhouse I'm in the decorating phase now which is why I'm here.
Mtnrdredux I'm loving your choices for the house. I'd go with the pure whites. Are you still doing the tile for the range hood? Just seems the pure white appliances are easier to 'match'. You can always have your appliances custom painted by a good auto body shop ;) seriously.

o

If Im looking at paint colors, or anything else really, the names don't matter to me....

o

ppbenn, what a gorgeous setting for a home!

o

My3,
I think we have assembled a cast!

PPBenn,
Oh my, your farm is so beautiful! And I love,love the name! Naming houses can be hard to do, especially trying to be original but not pretentious!

Ok, you win, for the best ahem, "name"!

PS Range hood still in white tile, yes. Northstar does offer custom colors, not sure if I need it or not. Still mulling a bit. And, thank you.

o

Mtn
Have you seen the 'Antique' version of the Elmira fridges? They make the Northstar too?
I love your range. I had it on my short list, with this fridge, but DH said no.
Yeah we'd been trying to come up with a name for forever and then AHA there it was on the paint can! Of course my DH has reservations on it but then he wasn't into the range and fridge either...Maybe I'll try out my other new name on him!!!
Sorry wont let me upload the link

o

Lol my3dogs

o

One of fav paint names -- and used by one of our GWHD's long-lost friends -- johnmari -- "Wet Concrete" -- and it turns out to be a wonderful color! :)

BTW -- I live on Lot 13 Block 13 on Cemetery Hill ..... really! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Wet concrete 2114-40

o

If it comes down to two colors, and I cannot decide, well, I thought the only logical thing to do WAS to decide based on the name.

When my dd1 was in high school she and her friend were planning on careers naming colors. That didn't work out, so she went into the golf industry....she should really revisit that Color Naming career...

o

My stage name is Lulu Church.

I don't think I'm influence by names, but I do regret the name of the street that our beach house is on. Our first summer house was on a street called Lincoln -- SO not beachy-sounding. Our second and current beach house is also on a street that doesn't sound beachy at all, though apparently it's an old Native American name of some type of shell. There are only a few houses on the street, and I always joke that I'm going to get everyone together and do what it takes to rename the street. Seashell Road...Ocean View Lane...Sandy Lane...

We drove by a house many years ago, when we were looking for our current "main" house, that was on Anis Road. Fortunately, we didn't like the house enough to purchase it.

o

geeez pbbenn....you homestead looks like something from a movie set.....as in 'gone with the wind'???

gorgeous!!!

ot...

yes i do think i am influenced by paint names....they seem to be evocative....yet i ended up picking a lambert & pratt paint for my front door which is just 'numbered' ...i guess not 'unduly' influenced but generally i think the names can help, assuming they are not just randomly selected off the wall names

o

Oh my, Anis, what where they thinking, Lulu?

Desert, I keep thinking it looks like a Wyeth.

o

that photo does look like a Wyeth.

A friend an I recently got into a conversation about sympathy for people with really bad last names, like "Mycock" and how they ever got through grammar school and H.S. She told me she went to H.S. with a guy whose last name was LaPenus.

Sorry, but if I were to marry a Mr. LaPenus, he'd have to take my last name and put an end to that one. I would not take that name for my own, nor would I allow any children of mine to do so.

We all have crosses to bear, but that one is a tough one!

o

tibbrex...yes! wyeth...i would love to see a LOT more trees planted along the magnificent drive, and have a looksee at the homestead say 20 years from now...so beautiful!

lol...your comments me remind me of a guy who i knew in HS who's last name was bates.....once he was at a party and some guys were doing some give and take, and i forget what he was called but he responded with "that is MASTER bates to you! lolol....he turned beet red when he realized what he said....

the only thing worse than " la penus' would be a hypenated married name like 'susan BIGGs-lapenus'

geez....life can be so unfair!

o

We're way off topic here, but I have to add to desert_solitaire's comment that, years ago I worked in a sports club. A regular man, @ 55 years old (I was about 22) came in and asked me if there was anyone around he could play racquetball with, as the regulars did often. I said, "Sorry, no one's here. You're going to have to play with yourself."

Oops.

He got what I had said right away. It took me a few seconds. I think I turned beet red.

o

I went to college with a girl named Iva (her last name was Gleekel -- bad enough). She was dating Stanley Dick. Enough said.

Today I was looking for an Essie nail polish color called Ballet Slippers. The store was all out but right next to the empty slot was a polish called East Hampton Cottage. Sigh -- yes, please.

o

As the OP, I hereby allow any and all OT comments!

Too funny.

My fave polish is KennebunkPort. I also have The Lady is Tramp and Bastille my Heart. IIRC I used to like one that was something like Only a Waitress?

Desert. I said Wyeth first!

o

i'm sorry mtn, reviewing back yes you did!

i think your message appeared after tribbrix's but as they say brilliant minds and all!

i still crack up whenever i think of 'master bates'...you had to know the guy to know just how funny that was...

btw, on topic...i remember YEARS ago i bought a fabric for my first pair of self made curtains called 'oatmeal'

yes. they were beige...lol

:)

o

Nope, I was just agreeing with mtn that that property looks like a Wyeth painting; thought it was an astute observation on her part.

o

well you both are right....wyeth painting-esque homestead....imagine being able to say that....

though my first thought was 'tara' from GWTW...i think it was the long drive to the house....lined with trees it would be positively tara-worthy...ppbenn hope you don't mind us discussing your fabulous house and grounds as if you aren't here!

mtn, 'bastille my heart' such a great play on words there....need to look up that color to see if it lives up to the name!!

o

I knew a girl whose name was Debbie Schitz. She couldn't stand it so went to court to have it legally changed. Now she's Veronica Schitz.

Ba-dum-dum!

o

Seriously though, when I worked, I took a message from a gal whose real name was Patience Wait. I couldn't believe that parents would do that to their child. But about 20 years later, I was listening to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" and a woman named Patience Wait called in. I figured it had to be the same gal...could there be more than one?

o

annie! lolol! too funny!

o

Oh my goodness, Annie. It must be the same one! Was it a joke that she called in to WWDTM?

o

How ironic the timing of this post! My sister-in-law is coming for a visit this week and the husband and I were sprucing up things a little--things we had let go--I was planning on checking them off my list during Spring Break. While touching up paint, I realized that the main area of our house is BM Crumb Cake, the den is Cream Puff, and the kitchen is Almond Wisp. I told the husband that I must be hungry every time I hit the paint store!

o

I can't seem to find it above, but thanks to whoever posted the NY Times piece.

Also, in this month's issue of HB there is a contest to name a color of paint. It is a deep green.

I would call it "In Case You Missed This The First Time, You Pair it with Very White Trim"

o

Lol, Flymom.

o

Funny stuff posted on this thread!
OT
Thanks for your comments on our farm.
Desert- My heroine is Scarlett :) and Mtn -growing up in SD my artist inspiration was Harvey Dunn; settling in PA Wyeth will do. This is a self designed house/farm so...
Since I need serious decorating advice I'll start my own thread one of these days.
Mtn - here's a pic of the fridge. You've probably seen it but I could not get it to post yesterday. It comes in bisque, and with the nickel trim I love it for your kitchen.
Peg

o

LOL, everyone, for the OT comments. Mtn, you must be talking about my favorite OPI nail polishes. I don't know who comes up with those wonderful names, but I always have to read them all. It's like reading funny cards in the store...once I start I can't quit. And the funny names! Jay Leno used to show funny wedding last name pairings that were hilarious. I would have to change my name! LaPenus just killed me!!

Wyeth-esque on ppbenn's home, yes! A beautiful home and property!

o

Speaking of Andy...

You know...there's Wyeth. And then Benjamin Moore has Wythe Blue.

I have been on a designer's website where she shows an example of what you'll get in one of her Design in a Box products....and yep, there it is, the Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue "blob" next to a picture of Andrew Wyeth, (spelled Andrew Wythe on her page) and one of his paintings that she is using to indicate that BM got the name from one of his paintings....yikes.

I really wanted to tell her. But I couldn't. Just couldn't.

About those baby names...I used to work in a pediatrician's office. Some were so over the top, I had a dad once actually say, "I'll have to spell it, I cannot pronounce it".. and then went on to say "we're calling her Natalie". The name was something like 20+ letters long.

One mom was spelling her child's name for me over the phone, and it apparently had an apostrophe in it, but she didn't know that word, so she said "You know, a comma, up high". I had to put her on hold to take a minute...

And then, one of our all time favorites...a mom was spelling her child's name over the phone, the name was supposed to be Shihead. But let's just say, she had a "silent" T in there, and we couldn't bring ourselves to tell her what she actually just named her little baby.

And my stage name is Sugar HiView.

o

PPBenn, I think we'd all love to see more. Your house looks so new to me, but on another thread I think you said it was old. Are you an artist? The subject of your photo is lovely, but the composition is striking, too.

As for the fridge, that one felt a little too Victorian to me?

Bee, I mean Sugar,
You should tell the blogger (privately). I would want to know if i were her!

As for addresses, I just got an invoice from a UK company. These people know how to do addresses. The return address actually reads:

Old Feed Room, Balcombe Place Stables
Haywards Heath Rd, Balcombe
Haywards Heath
W Sussex

o

I am in love with silver sky farm!

A person I worked with had an ex husband who named their son Aero. Their last name was smith. :( I was a kid and I still remember feeling so badly for that baby.

Where I work with a man whose name is so unfortunate. I am afraid to put it here though. :)

I hope my kids don't hate their names. I gave them regular middle names so I figure if they really hate them they can go by that. Their first names are not really odd, just not that common I think. :)

I am influenced somewhat by names of paints. I think moreso after I have narrowed it down though. I have a playroom that was a DR that is autumn glow. It is pretty glowy alright!

o

Names. I knew someone who named their son Maxwell and their last name is Coffee, but spelled with a y at the end. Not putting his name here in hopes of foiling Google.

I remember that Waitress nail polish. I'm Not A Waitress -- I think that was it. I like Your Villa Or Mine. I love the OPI polish names. Urban Decay comes up with some clever names for their products, too. One lipstick is called F-Bomb.

o

OT on the OT
I worked full time while attending college. I took French during an abbreviated summer session. I had French from 8-11 am 5 days a week (for 3 weeks), worked from 12-8 pm 5 days a week, then had to study, and live the social life of a 20-something, in the evening. I was always in the wrong frame of mind: tired during French, thinking about French during work, worrying about work things when I was studying French. At work I was training a new employee and explaining how to look names up on the microfiche (yeah, we're taking a long time ago). Anyhoo, I couldn't remember how to pronounce apostrophe in English. I was making a hand gesture to indicate a "comma up high" while saying "you know, an ap-us-truff". I can still picture the new employee looking at me with an expression of "what in the world?"

Back to colors
The color of one of my cars was Misty Dawn. That also became her name. I had to wait a few days for the dealer to get a Misty Dawn color with the other things I wanted. When I was showing my Dad the color swatch in the car brochure he said "You're waiting for that color?" Still makes me chuckle thinking about his expression and question.

I think I'll pick Misty Dawn as my stage name.

o

I kid you not! I looked up LaPenus on the ancestry site and in the 1940 census, the fourth one down was Peter. OMGosh!

My p*rn name is Rusty Woods :)

o

I went to high school with a boy named Justin Case.

o

Lol Natsgram.

Poor guy. Poor teachers who had to do roll call each day.

o

I think I may have just been unduly influenced by a hunter douglas roller shade name. I just picked roller shades for my entire great room and family room named Tranquility. Of course, I was also influenced by Annie's advice so perhaps it wasn't a case of undue influence…just the right amount of influence a la beekeepers wife.

o

My DH likes me to wear red nail polish on my toenails in summertime when I am wearing sandals.

Once on my return from the spa, he asked me the name of my nail polish and when I told him "An affair in Red Square," he was livid. He was a cold war warrior. He told me did not like the name enough for me to wear it and asked if I could find another red.

I came back home the next appointment with a beautiful red.

He asked me its name. I told him it was very merry and cheery. He said he likes it better. LOL. I just changed the name on the spot myself.

o

I don't think I have ever been influenced by color names. Other than the most used media for my art, but they never change names other than adding new colors. Am very visual and the color itself wins, never the name. How much are we paying these marketeers to come up with names?

Admission I bought a ton of upholstery fabric with the name sorghum, which looked and sounded like a long ago syrup loved. But it turned out to be a deep majestic purple rather than an amber hue. Thankfully my daughter loves purple. Not much creativity or marketing pull with the name, other than pulling me in.

o

If you want some fun with names, check out the staff credits on Car Talk some time....they are really punny....

Downsizing consultant: Candice Guy
Director of Top Secret Security: Donatello Nobatti
Ebay Specialist: Selma Junkoff
Gastroenterologist: Cameron Diaz
Hair Restoration Specialist: Hedda Harrigan
Insurance Agent: Heidi Ductible
Airline Seat Tester: Wilma Butfit
Russian Emissions Inspector: Vlad the Inhaler
Restroom Attendants: Trudy Door and Donna Hall

Here is a link that might be useful: Car Talk Staff Credits

o

Or the names of the board members of billionairesforwealthcare.com, which is a hilarious site. The members dress up like a child's view of a bazillionaire - the women wear tiaras and gowns and fur stoles, that sort of thing, the men are in top hats and ascots, etc. and they protest for protections for the uber wealthy.

Some of the names:

Phil T. Rich

(My favorite): Mimi Nottieu

Roland D. Dough

Thornton Peabody Beechcraft III

Dee Forestation

Robin D. Poor

Hal E. Burton

Monet Oliver D'Place

Meg A. Bucks

Ivy League-Legacy

o

I secretly want a tiara.

Technicolor, did you mean to call them MarketEERs? Funny!

Patricia, My one exception to my pathological red aversion is red toenails! I only wear red on toenails. To me, it's classic.

o

Mtn, I love red but do not wear it well but love seeing others wear it but I do love red toenails. Wish I could wear red. It looks so good on others, just makes me look like your local pole dancer.

o

Bee, I can't wait to tell my DD your baby name stories. She's an RN and thrives on these stories. Annie and Tibbrix, love the names...had to quit drinking my coffee this morning as I was about to make a mess. And Patricia, lol at your painted toes story! I love red toes too!

o

ouside, might as well add this...

interns asked the mom of the baby in the nicu if she decided on a name. She said yes, "Precious".

They wrote up a card "Precious".

She saw the card, and asked why was that there. They explained it was what she told them the baby's name was.

No. "Preshus" was the right way to spell it.

A lot of the creative names are a bunch of letters randomly put together from various family member names too. Those are fun.

o

Just some names that I recall when looking through a Medical Association directory: Dr. Virgin, OB/GYN; Dr. Payne, pediatrician; Dr. Saucer, dentist; Dr. Pinchback, an orthopedic doctor and Drs. Stone and Pease, a urology group.

o

We had a dentist in our area, Dr.Pulley

And another car talk...optician: C. F. Eye Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here