Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpdhockey

Paint Opinions

RPDHockey
10 years ago

We recently moved into a home and we want to change the paint colors. The previous owners chose to do the upstairs and downstairs hallways in a horrible orangish rust color. This color also extends to a living room and a dining room. We absolutely hate it. I finally painted the hallway SW "Tony Taupe" and we like that it appears both tan and gray in different lighting and angles. Although I feel like it usually appears to be gray.
The hallway transitions into the kitchen, which is currently a red color with dated 90's honey golden oak cabinetry. I'm planning on painting all the oak trim and cabinetry SW "Alabaster" and then we picked SW "Dutch Tile Blue" for the kitchen wall color. From looking at swatches this appears like it would transition nicely to us, but was wanting some opinions to make sure it'll work before I paint.

The current floor is a horrible peel and stick vinyl that I'm replacing with Coretec LVT Wood Plank in Kingswood Oak color. I attached a picture of the color pattern of the floor. I'm also replacing all the dated cheap golden oak veneer doors with 6 panel white doors.

My question is what would you guys recommend for a good powder room color? The powder room runs right off of the downstairs hallway. My spouse wants SW "Watery" which we like in our upstairs bathroom, but I would like to change it up. I was thinking BM "Quiet Moments." All the trim on the lower level is gonna be SW Alabaster with the Kingswood Oak floor.

Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated!!

Comments (47)

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dutch Tile Blue

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tony Taupe

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Ugh, love that flooring!

One of my bathrooms and my master bedroom have Quiet Moments on the walls. It's okay. I wouldn't choose it again. It's a tad minty. I'd go with BM Mount Saint Anne instead, which is a gorgeous color. It is on the same chip as Quiet Moments, but richer and deeper.

For a guest/mainfloor bathroom now, I'd go with BM Midsummer Night, a very, very dark chocolate brown, for elegance. White towels, Crystal chandelier or beautiful sconcesâ¦It's gives a bathroom a five-star hotel look if done correctly.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

BM Mount Saint Anne

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Ack, that Dutch Tile Blue is gorgeous.

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've looked at so many swatches online and they're all starting to look the same. I'm glad you mentioned that about quiet moments. To me, Mt. St. Anne and Dutch Tile Blue look pretty similar. I'd like the powder room to be unique. I forgot to mention that our powder room is very tiny and does not have a window. I like that chocolate color, but worry it would look like a black hole in there, due to how small it is. BTW, the vanity i'm putting there is gray quartz.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Another beautiful, calm, but interesting color, rustic:

BM Vintage Charm

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

BM Vintage Charm

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If you're using gray quartz, that is the reason to not go with the chocolate brown. But it's a GREAT reason to go with the Vintage Charm!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And run that beautiful flooring into the bathroom. With the Vintage Charm, maybe some beadboard wainscoting, white towelsâ¦gorgeous.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And get this from Etsy and hang it on the Vintage Charm wall! Gorgeous

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Lovely flooring.

A powder room is a place to go a little wild. It's a place to make a mistake. Do you have a favorite color? Go for it.

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm scared to go purple in there, you really think it would look good? Here is a picture of the quartz I'm using. I will have brushed nickel accessories in there.

The quartz is still in the packaging, so just ignore the top of the picture.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think it would look gorgeous in there. It's a very gray purple, and with the right accessories, it would be so, so unique and beautiful. Notice it next to the rustic wood valances, which are similar to your floor. I think it's perfect. And don't be afraid. It's paint. If you hate it, you can always repaint!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

In the same house I live in now, I had grey bath furnishings when I moved in. I hated the drab grey with the mousy lavender wallpaper that was placed by either the contractor or the former owner, and I painted an eggplant color in that room. I used a coordinating wallpaper border around the ceiling that was very royal looking. The room was beautiful, just a little jewel box. I changed everything out when we were revamping the decor, etc., a few years ago. The eggplant room, however, very "different" and exotic and I got many compliments on it.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I don't share Tibbrix's enthusiasm over Vintage charm, but I'm obviously older than she, and to me it is way too close to the ubiquitous mauve of the 80's.

I, too, would explore colors you love. The floor is gorgeous and so many colors would look lovely. There are some great powder rooms without windows, which have been wallpapered for some dramatic effect; maybe explore that as an option - I assume you've looked on Houzz?

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I've been on Houzz. Definately some elaborate powder room designs on there. I'm trying to get away without wallpapering though. Anybody else have any color recommendations?

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, did you have a link for that painting on Etsy? Not familiar with that website.

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any opinions on SW "Watery" in the Powder Room with the dark wood floors and gray quartz sink?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oly, I doubt you're a lot older than I. Perhaps I'm just a lot more immature than you!

But, I LOVE that Vintage Charm, and I've kind of been cramming it down other people's throats here, since I have no place to put it in my own house! I'm going to have to live vicariously through others.
    I think it is so gorgeous. Get a galvanized pail and put soaps or flowers or twigs in itâ¦so pretty against that soft purple, with the rustic wood floorâ¦Yum.

RPD, link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy Butterfly art

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd go with something dramatic, like BM Hale Navy. In fact, I think I'll do that really soon :)

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have a tiny windowless powder room, too. I've done the dark and dramatic look in there, but after a year or two I was tired of that. At one time, it was painted BM Piano Concerto, which everyone loved. It's similarly to Tibbrix's Vintage Charm (based on the above pics, anyway) but several shades lighter. I happen to be a huge fan of Healing Aloe (a shade lighter than Quiet Moments) and it didn't come out minty in the bathroom where I used it.

At the moment, my tiny powder room is painted BM Soft Sand, and I love it! It's a pale, soft pink.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

RPD Hockey, I have a color very similar to SW Watery in that same room now. I changed flooring to blue slate and blue pearl granite countertops, silver framed mirrors, a crystal and silver chandy, gray mist cabinetry and white appliances. It has a spa look, very cool in summertime. I started out using blue towels and then decided to use white with aqua and gray drapery tie backs holding them up. I have a silver dish with white soaps, guest paper towelettes with a silver-gray monogram and matching tissues in a silver/MOP container.

My DH loves the colors, and guests comment on it how "clean" it looks.

Personally, I am a drama queen so I loved the eggplant. LOL. I think you would like either.

• crl_
    10 years ago

In a previous house I chose to paint the tiny, windowless powder room a very pale pink (or a rather pink white depending on your point of view). It was Benjamin Moore Cameo White. I read once that a pinkish white flatters nearly everyone so it's a good choice for a powder room. I was very happy with the color and would use it again in the same situation.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

crl, you are right about pink flattering everyone. I have often heard employees in boutiques and department stores tell clients that pink was flattering to everyone. Your guests probably liked that as well. Is that not the reason (and I tend to forget things at my seasoned age) that we once had the pink bulbs recommended for bathrooms.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

......and that's why Victoria's Secret paints the interiors pink! God knows not everyone is going to look like an 'angel' in bra, skimpy panties, and thigh highs, so they might need a little help. Hence the pink paint. lol

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think the blue/green colors are good for kids' bathrooms and bedroom bathrooms, but I think a main-house, first-floor, guest-bath type of bathroom calls for more sophisticated colorsâ¦unless it's a beach house!

JMHO

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i love fun wallpaper in powder rooms!! gives the tiny little room some interest!

just size the walls so that if you want a change down the road, it's easy!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I have BM Lucerne in a small very dark bedroom, and love it.

[Modern Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2105) by Santa Monica Interior Designers & Decorators Susan Deneau Interior Design

It has a slightly tealish shade

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

While I will cry and have a temper tantrum if she doesn't use the Vintage Charm, I LOVE that Lucerne and can totally see it as well! Gorgeous, nosoccermom!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Or Van Deusen Blue.

Tibbrix, you should like that :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Very pretty! Love it for a bedroom, or breakfast nook. That Lucerne is so great for a "powder room" versus a "bathroom". Similar feel as the chocolate brown - a 5-star hotel look, IMO.

There will be heck to pay here, though, if she doesn't use the Vintage Charm and WendyB doesn't use the Mannford rug with either the Terrace or the Portera (or whatever the other was called) in her foyer, dangitall!

As you can see, I have no life at the moment. I'm counting on y'all!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Lucerne with these butterflies.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Same here, but I'll go for the Lucerne in my powder room, so at least won't have to live my decorating life completely through others.

Now I still need someone to make that Lindsey Adelman DYI chandelier or better yet, wall sconce.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Okay, well, you lost me on the lighting. Looks to me like something that would emerge from a pod. But ignore me, because contemporary is one of my least favorite styles anyway.

There's that gorgeous chocolate brown, though, on the wall behind your chandy. I think I'm going to repaint my LR in the fall in BM Midsummer Night.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Do either of these color schemes do anything for you?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

For son's apartment, not my house.

And not that we've successfully hijacked the thread, here are some other powder rooms.

BM Palladian Blue

Wedgewood Gray

Woodlawn Blue

• tfitz1006
    10 years ago

My powder room is Guilford Green with Linen White wainscoting and trim. It's nice but I did it about six years ago and I'll probably paint it this summer when I'm out of school. On a recent house tour I saw the color French Press, a deep chocolate with maybe plum undertones. It was used in kitchens, dining rooms, powder rooms. Very pretty but the various designers mentioned that it was the result of like four coats so I dunno about that. My go-to is Grey Mirage. Love love love it. Both my sisters have it in their kitchens as do I-and it looks grey or green depending on the time of day.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I just want to mention that if you use a very saturated color, you will need to prime with one of those silly colors. When I did the powder room in eggplant, I primed with something that looked like blueberry and for the Chinese red paint I used a primer that looked like Pepto.

I would like to see you do your bath in eggplant, but that is entirely your choice. There are so many great colors and wonderful helpers here to assist in making a decision or putting the room together. It's a great place for ideas and putting those ideas into action.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

tfitz, if you use BM Aura paint, I think you need only one coat. It's expensive, but it's great paint.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Good grief Patty_Cakes, I would need way more than pink painted walls to make me look good in skimpy panties and thigh highs, IYKWIM!

Tib I like the vintage charm quite a bit but I think eggplant or aubergine would be lovely. How about Farrow and Ball Brinjal?

Here is a link that might be useful: Love this!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The Brinjal is gorgeous. It was on one of the doors in the link of front-door colors on Pinterest someone put up. I noticed it right away. here is the door.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Fortunately, people confuse me with Gisele Bundchen all the time, so I look great in skimpy panties, push-up bras, thigh-highs, and the wings I wear every day, unless I have to take public transportation.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Aura is awesome paint but I have often needed two coats with it. When I painted a study hale navy, it definitely took two coats. Dd's room is currently in mid paint job and is going from Manchester tan to summer shower and it's doing okay at one coat plus touch ups.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Ditto Aura needs 2 coats. Possibly 3 for something super dark. Love the eggplant/purple/mulberry family.

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions!! Unfortunately, I'm still on the fence, but I'm possibly leaning towards a slate gray / navy color. I like how Knoxville Gray looks.

Not a powder room, but here's an example:

• RPDHockey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or Smokestack Gray: