Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirrored closet doors?

Posted by lauren0319 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 16:21

We have his and her closets located in our bathroom, seperated by a tub. For a while I have had a dinky little mirror just hanging on our closet door. The location is perfect bc I can see the back of my hair when getting ready. However, the dinky little mirror needs to be replaced. I found these doors online by Trustile and am very interested. Does anyone have anything similar? I don't need the arches... all of our doors are 6 panel doors. But I like the idea of the mirror "mounted" in the door and would love to see more of this.
My husband is super handy... but I'm not sure if this could be DIY'd or not.
Any additional pics or links? Thanks for your thoughts!

http://www.trustile.com/options/default.asp?cid=384

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirrored closet doors?

Very nice, both of our walkin closets in our bath rm. have mirrored pocket doors and both sides are mirrors. Makes perfect sense, to have full length mirrors when dressing to go out.

o

We have full mirrored sliding closet doors in our bedroom. The PO's had put them in at some point, and we liked them, so we replaced them when we made the closet smaller as part of the MB reno.

o

How about something like this:

DIY instructions below

Here is a link that might be useful: mirrored closet doors

o

Darlings, if you can tolerate full length mirrors on the fronts of the doors in your bathroom, and consequently watching yourself emerge from the bath au naturel, you are braver - and younger - than I am!

Having said that, I think any of those choices would be great. It's a little tricky to DIY them, because paneling them in will add significantly to both the weight and the thickness of your doors. Unless your talented DH can make the doors from scratch, and hang them perfectly. Few things are as annoying as doors you use every day that don't swing easily and close perfectly.

o

"Darlings, if you can tolerate full length mirrors on the fronts of the doors in your bathroom, and consequently watching yourself emerge from the bath au naturel, you are braver - and younger - than I am! "

I feel the same way, except with the mirrors beside the bed!

o

i wanted a full length mirror in our bathroom and so bought a mirrored on one side door very similar to the one you show, except without the arch. i love it!! (But, we definitely could not have DIourselves...)

o

Fantastic links, thank you so much!! :)

busybee- where did you buy your doors? I'm trying to figure out if we want to DIY this or just buy them.

o

I don't see why you can DIY. It won't have a recessed look like the one you posted, but would look like the doors nosoccermom has.

You can have mirror cut to the exact size you need so that the 6 panels are covered, then trim the edges out with molding. If you're concerned about additional weight on the door, then reinforce the hinges by replacing the center screws in the top and middle hinge with a much longer screw.
Also, ask the mirror/glass supply store for some padded spacers. You will need them if there are gaps between the mirror and the panels on the doors. Gaps will allow the mirror to flex, something you don't want.

o

it's a jeld wen door and i ordered it at home depot... it's 6 panels on the one side and has a large, beveled mirror on the other side - the door was available in numerous sizes and is actually very nice.

o

We ended up DIY-ing! The doors were $350 ea at Home Depot and we did this for less than $100. I'm quite pleased. :) Thanks for your input!
 photo photo-48.jpg
 photo photo-49.jpg
 photo photo-50.jpg
btw- how crazy would we be to rip out the tub and install nice drawers & cabinets. We never, ever use the tub- lol, it's currently holding out laundry baskets! We're also not worried about resale as we really have no plans on moving. We would lose a bit of the window but I think that would be okay.

o

Looks amazing. Could you post exactly how you did it?

o

I just attached some simple long-length big box store mirrors to the inside of closet doors. They sell simple brackets to hold it in place on the doors. The mirrors are not too heavy, so you don't have to worry about compromising the door with something too heavy. I use my mirrors for tick-checking and getting dressed. Inexpensive and practical, but not a decorative element for sure.

o

So that molding around the mirror is part of the mirror? And was your door just a simple slab door?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here