Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersmom

Master bath conundrum

homersmom
10 years ago

Our home is now 15 years old and our master bath shower door is falling apart, piece by piece. We have decided to go ahead and replace the fiberglass insert with a tiled shower in addition to a new door. DH has agreed to new counter height vanity cabinets and would like a granite or solid surface countertop. Here is my concern - I am not a fan of travertine and am having a hard time finding tile that suits my taste. I still like the pattern of the current tile around the tub, but the coordinating floor tile was installed with huge grout lines and it's looking a little tired. Would it make more sense to start over with new flooring and deck tiles, or just clean up the grout, use white tile for the shower, and replace the cabinets and counters (he wants cherry cabs). Chances are we will be in this home for 7 - 12 more years, if that makes a difference in your opinion. I need to bounce this issue off of someone other than DH - thanks much!

Here is the current tub area. The shower and toilet are in a separate room to the left. Excuse the mess - just finished removing the wallpaper.

Comments (10)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Most tile people, unless you hire independents, will want you to do the bathroom in all new product. Otherwise, it looks just like what it is. Something wearing out and trying to get by on a shoestring. Just do it all over. It is not going to cost you that much more. Then you can go to a tile place and choose all your "stuff" and go to a plumbing place and let them work with you and choose all your "stuff" from there. You can be your own contractor and subcontract the work out.

If your shower and door are wearing out, pretty soon everything else is and a newly tiled shower and door will make the rest of your bathroom look old and worn out, believe it or not. Just get some tile people to give you prices on doing this. Get plumbers with prices. Do your own research and get going. You can do all of it for little more than the shower and door will cost if you use your resources wisely.

• autumncolor5
    10 years ago

It depends on your budget. If you can afford all new I would go for it.

It would be nice to have your floor and tub tile the same as you new tiled shower.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for chiming in. We've already got a contractor (same guy that did our basement) and I'm in the process of selecting cabinets. DH wants cherry and I am leaning towards ivory. I was at a huge tile store yesterday - overwhelming!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

we all do what we gotta do.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 17:46

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to do a new tub, but so far I've not been able to convince DH. We're not planning to start this project until June, so that gives me a little time to strategize. We've enjoyed this monster of a tub, but it's a b@&$? to clean and takes forever to fill. I may have to dig into my own savings to fund it, but it would be worth it!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

If you're going to replace the tub, now your pretty much doing a total gut job. What king of tub would you put there instead?

I agree tile should all match/coordinate...your current tile will look old next to new tile and it will look like a piecemeal job. And if you're getting new vanities, tops, shower, tub...your toilet may also look old...yes....a real snowball! Only you can decide the budget.

You might want to check out bathrooms on houzz and find some you like with both light and cherry vanities, etc....this may also help you zero in on tile you like and that will make shopping easier.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've already been on Houzz, Pinterest, etc. DH and I have differing opinions on the extent of the project as well as style. I'll have to give this more thought. Regarding the toilet - it will be replaced with a comfort height model.

Thanks again for your input.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Let me guess, DH doesn't use the tub--so he doesn't care about it.
    I doubt the tile is going to just wear out. The question is what will you find to coordinate seamlessly? Given the tile warehouse you visited one would think it has to be possible to find coordinating tile. It is FRUSTRATING that the other posters are probably correct. If you don't freshen up the tub it will look like it is waiting...We did a bathroom two years ago now. As often as we use bathrooms no matter how much of your savings you have to use I bet you won't be sorry.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

arcy - actually DH uses it as much as I do, which is maybe 5x a year! It's big enough for two, so we typically use it like a hot tub ( after an afternoon of snowshoeing or a long day of working in the yard). I would like to replace it with something smaller.

I looked for tile to coordinate with what I have, but couldn't find anything. Plain white would work, but now I'm thinking that if we can't agree to do the whole thing, then why do anything at all, other than fix the door.

I'm bummed, but I'll get over it. It's just a bathroom.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I had a little chat with DH this morning and mentioned that I think we should just get a new shower door and leave the update for later. He replies with "prices are only going to go up" so I think that's code for "go ahead and do it all". Timing IS everything - caught him at a good time!