Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nik211

Glass Pantry Doors? Yay or Nay?

nik211
13 years ago

You know those glass pantry doors with the etching that says "Pantry" on them - yay or nay?

I have five doors in my smaller sized kitchen. I have a Garage door, Bathroom door and an Office/Den door. The other two doors are Pantry/Closet doors and they are smaller (about half the width of the regular doors). I was thinking that the glass "pantry" door could be cute for the door next to my fridge. The other small door is on the other side of the room near the bathroom and is more of a storage closet than pantry so I'm not sure what to do with that one.

Do you think adding "pantry" doors will make the room feel more doorsy or less doorsy? All of the doors drive me nuts!

Do you think they are trendy? They seem to be a new thing in the area we live in. I'm not sure if I want to jump on the trend wagon and end up hating the doors in 5 years when they aren't in style in more or look dated. Right now I think they are cute though.

Just looking for opinions and pictures if you have a glass pantry door.

Thanks so much!

Comments (13)

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

My vote is trendy, as I've seen so many more of the "pantry" glass doors than I like to in homes in the last year.

Classic pantry doors would be more my style, but only you can decide if you want to follow the trend.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I don't think I've ever been in an older house or even an estate home where the pantry door says, "Pantry"; but I agree, it's whatever you like.

In fact, I've always wanted a vintage door for my bathroom to have a glass window with the old "bubble" glass and stencil "Restroom","Bath", or even just "Ladies" across it.

• camlan
    13 years ago

I think glass doors would be fine.

It's the "Pantry" part that I think would be trendy.

An option would be to get plain glass doors and then use frosted window film to spell out "Pantry." That way, if you got tired of it, you could easily change it.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

I've only seen model(new)homes with a glass door that has 'pantry' etched into it~~I think it's trendy also. I've been searching for a vintage door for my pantry, with an oval glass insert. I might have to get it frosted since I don't really think I would like to look at cans/boxes/cat food. ;o)

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i would agree that it's trendy to have the word pantry spelled out and i think i would tire of the word-esp since you have 2 doors you're considering.

but, i think a frosted or otherwise opaque/semi-opaque glass door on the 2 smaller doors would be really nice and would break up the doors in your kitchen. i know HD has many choices of glass doors in lots of sizes that you can order---take a look at all the styles! ('pantry' being one of them i think-at least with one of the door companys they sell...)

• nik211
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your opinions. I feel like I'll get tired of seeing "pantry" etched out and it does seem fairly trendy which is why I asked in the first place. You confirmed my hunch. I really like it now but its something I can see myself getting tired of and we don't plan on staying in our house forever so its probably better to keep things simple.

I'll check out some other options for glass doors to see if there is something different I can do to break it up but the doors will probably end up staying as is.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Yay to the laminated glass door
    Nay to the lettering

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Cute but tooo trendy for me.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Our pantry door is a six panel and the flat sections are chalkboard. The lower sections are great for little ones to draw on and upper sections work great for notes and grocery lists.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'd also skip the wording. I love reeded glass which is less see through than a clear pane.
    The plain frosted glass is getting done a lot too, but is better than with the word "pantry" on it.

• momtoollie
    13 years ago

justgotabme - how did you get the chalkboard on the door panels? Paint? I want a chalkboard on my pantry door, just not sure how to do it. I also need a ledge for the chalk so it won't fall everytime someone opens the door. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I vote YES for glass doors - prefer frosted with either Pantry on them or get something w/just a design on it.
    I had a glass door with Laundry - put on my laundry room - mainly because the hall is narrow and it has the garage door, powder room door, bedroom door and 2 closet doors. I really like that the sun shines thru the glass and it makes it less clostraphobic.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

Yes for the glass doors, no to the "panty" lettering. This is coming from a person who hates kitchy, eclectic things so take that with a grain of salt. :)