Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awaters7832

How to paint?

awaters7832
14 years ago

The owners before us had my daughter's room in white with a thick dark blue border painted at the top of the wall. I want to paint her room pink, but i'm afraid the dark blue wont be covered by the paint or that it will be a little discolored at the top of her walls. I've heard you can paint Grey Primer over it and then paint pink, but would I have to paint the whole wall grey in order to not make the walls discolored or can i paint the border grey to dull it a little? I just don't want to have to paint the whole room grey and wait for it to dry before i paint again...checking to see if you guys had any other options. :) Would the blue bleed through white primer?

Comments (5)

• no_green_thumb
    14 years ago

Typically, the gray primers are used when you want to put a dark-colored top coat. You are doing the reverse.
    Personally, what I would do is buy white primer, then cover the blue, let it dry, then primer the entire room. You might be okay if you don't primer the whole room, but I almsot always prime walls prior to painting.
    Latex primers dry very quickly - and I think you can recoat most in a hour. I would think you could use a regular primer, but I would use a stain-blocking primer just to make sure the blue is sealed in.

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

You'll want to prime anyway if you want to do it right. You don't know what has been on that wall. Any greasy finger prints, whatever, can mar your new finish and cause it to not adhere properly. Primer is not only to cover up the color, but to provide a clean, fresh surface for your paint.

You want a primer, light grey or white, followed by two coats of paint.

Allow ample time for your coats to dry or you will end up removing the first coat when you go to put the second one on.

• awaters7832
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - Thanks for the info! Painting has always confused me. What kind of paint is better to use? Latex, Gloss, Flat, etc? Its for a bedroom and i'm wanting to use the same paint for a bathroom.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

There is a chance that there may be a ridge line where the blue paint meets the white paint. Add primer over top of the blue paint and you may make the ridge more noticeable after you paint the entire room pink, soooo.........before you are ready to paint the pink you may want to consider quickly sanding just the edge where you have primed where it meets the white to get a nice uniform finish of pink.

Did I make sense?

• jimoba
    14 years ago

The advice on using primer is right on the money. As for type of paint, for interiors, latex is standard, but it's the finish (flat, eggshell, semi-gloss, etc.) that makes the difference. I find that an satin or eggshell finish works best in bedrooms. It's much easier to clean than flat paint (which is a plus in a kid's room), but it's not nearly as shiny as a semi-gloss or gloss. Semi-gloss is usually recommended for bathrooms because it stands up better to moisture and is easier to clean than a satin or eggshell finish.

Hope this helps!