Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I could do a room....

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

Spring is definitely here...the ice is off the pond, and I've been enjoying watching the wood ducks as they float and dive, disappearing under the water and coming up later who knows where.

I just love all the colors in the male duck....the golds, browns, deep forest green with a hint of sapphire, a touch of white for accent and a pop of orange for energy. Just beautiful.

Anyone else done a room inspired by nature?

Comments (37)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

So how would you do a room with these colors?

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I haven't done one yet, but I am thinking I would like to do a room based on this....

{{!gwi}}

Source: rebelbecauseyoucan.tumblr.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

I have a lot of orange in my house and have for years. Part of me thinks maybe I have succumbed to the pink color of the year even though I don't have cable so no home decor shows and I don't buy magazines anymore. Has it somehow rubbed off on me anyway? Why do I want to add pink to my rooms? Is it because I am rebelling against the 5 males in the house? :) I have no idea, but there will be lots of pink florals in my sunroom by the summer!

• User
    11 years ago

Most of the rooms in my home are done in "wood duck". With the Native American prints on my walls and the Persian carpets on the floors I picked out the richest of the tones and painted the walls. The color palettes I used were on a brochure of nature colors that I found at Lowes. I had them made up in BM matte.

The wood duck that Annie shows is exactly what I was after as far as color palette and I was able to achieve with everything I already owned. A very pleasing situation. c

• leafy02
    11 years ago

Annie, the blue, russet and green on that duck are my favorite color combination--I've always loved them together. I hope he enjoys being so beautiful!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

When I saw the wood duck picture, I immediately thought of some traditional plaid with forest green, dark/navy blue, and white with some leather furniture. I guess now I understand why there's a certain type of decor that incorporates plaid with duck decoys.

I do really like the colors of the duck and I can see how it would inspire a really beautiful room.

A few bulbs are just barely starting to pop some greens up in my yard. It's making me want to add more green to my decor. (Unfortunately my significant other doesn't like green, so I'll have to be judicious in picking things that won't bother him.)

• jamie81
    11 years ago

Annie, I love the colors. Our wood ducks aren't back yet, the pond is still frozen. Have you ever seen the babies drop from the nest? I've watched it twice, amazing.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

We get those too Annie. Such a quirky looking duck with that slicked back plumage in those gorgeous colors

I keep a suet feeder at my kitchen window and a Red-bellied Woodpecker visits every morning with a loud squawk to let us know he is getting breakfast. The colors would make a nice looking palette too.

http://www.1000birds.com

I have always gravitated to the warmer colors in nature when I decorate at home - greens, gold, browns. blacks and rusts. The same colors I dress in too now that I think of it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Annie, those really are such beautiful ducks.

Boop, despite being a 'plain Jane' sort when it comes to decorating, those colors now make me want to redo some room-maybe a guest room. I love the color combo in that bouquet! Just lately, I, too, have been wondering how I could add pink in here and I don't watch decorating shows or buy the magazines either. Maybe it is just that I am itching for spring now.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Snookums, how about a study done in BM wilmington tan wall with cherry finished woodwork, a sapphire blue sofa, side chairs upholstered in the forest green with maybe some orange throw pillows??

Or how about a kitchen like this one....

Oh wait...that's my kitchen!
    :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

deedee, we have those woodpeckers too...always wondered why they were called red breasted when the red on the head is so prominent!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

boop, your link was broken so I couldn't see the pic.
    :(

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jamie, I've not had the pleasure of seeing that, but I'm sure it's fascinating...I still struggle with birds with webbed feet hanging out in trees...

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

:( I had that pinned for awhile, then I posted it here and now it has been removed. I never saved the picture. I loved that bouquet!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

My whole house is wood duck colors ...

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

How strange. Is the image back for everyone else? it is now back for me. And I saved it. :) It is huge now though.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Funny, I would not think of these rooms as duck colors. It seems like colors I am very used to seeing! Love them!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Annie, I always thought your living room (and kitchen) were decorated in those colors.

My LR is. Rustish/maroonish sofa, forrest green chair, antique mission rocker, gold accents, band-aid walls with white beadboard. And teal in the persian.

All it needs is wings! I've got the woodpecker thing going on in the kitchen. lol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes, I see boop's vase now...those colors look like a great girl's room, or a sun porch to me....so bright and cheerful.

circuspeanut, aren't those colors wonderful....really brings the outside in, especially against your woodwork.

Would wood duck work with your wood work??? Wood duck works with your wood work! Good work! Just ducky!
    :)

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I love the outdoors but for me it would have to be the spring/summer colors. I do not have the earth tones in my home. They just do not suit me. I've seen beautiful warm rooms in those tones, but I'm drawn to lighter, brighter, Those colors make my heart sing. The earth tone palette would depress me. Funny how colors do that!

I LOVE Boops picture and those colors - but I would probably not include the orange. LOL Have just this week been ordering fabric samples for pillows and yesterday bought a turquoise throw. I have some red accents, but am trying to bring some turquoise into the picture too.

tina

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Annie, that wood duck photo is a wonderful inspiration for a color scheme.

I also adore boopadaboo's floral colors as a color scheme.

I am currently leaning toward tweaking my LR color scheme based on colors in some oil paintings I've recently bought. Fortunately my basic color scheme is neutral so it's relatively easy to change the accessories.

My bedroom scheme is based on the floral chintz of these wingback chairs. My walls are the brownish color of the wide stripe and I use blue, green, and sometimes the rose or mauve as accents. So easy to have a coordinated color scheme when using such inspiration pieces.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

Circuspeanut, where did you get that rug? I love it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lucky gal, those are pretty, gentle colors...nice for a bedroom.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I am glad that bouquet is back. Your kitchen is lovely Annie.

I too love that rug circuspeanut. the room is great!

Pretty chairs luckygal.

I am still hoping we will see some more nature inspired rooms. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you haven't seen it, I just love perusing the pictures and the color palettes at design seeds. I could spend hours just looking....such wonderful eye candy and so inspirational.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design seeds

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Ho ho, Annie! How much wood could a wood duck duck (if a wood duck would duck wood ...)?

I saw a deep green painted library with a creamy Oushak carpet, a rich red-brown leather sofa, a black japanned or tole-painted lacquer tray on a walnut-legged, ball and claw footed ottoman with camel low-pile velvet upholstery and black braided welting, an antique mahogany game table with red leather inlay and Chinese chippendale chairs, brass lamps with gold-lined black hardback shades, and a series of prints of tidal marshes with ... ducks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds fab, B!

• User
    11 years ago

Wonderful rooms and pics. I love that chintz chair lucky ! And your kitchen is lovely annie. CP that room is stunning. Design seeds has some great palettes.Thank you for starting such a great thread annie.

Here are a couple pics of some of my nature themed areas. I am in VA so can't take more.

hall runner Persian Tribal and turned wooden bowls:

{{!gwi}}

handmade wool rug from NM Tierra Wools in Los Ojos

{{!gwi}}

turned bowls and wool throw and handmade heart pine salvage bench in DR :

same DR...chocolate walls and handmade maple DR furniture :

Native American silk screen print from Tewa Gallery ( now closed) in Santa Fe...highlights natures colors on Navy wall in sitting room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, TR...there's something so influential about the SW landscapes on colors and design....seems to me more so than almost any other style...your DR looks so warm and cozy!

• User
    11 years ago

Thank you Annie..it is...we love it in the mornings in the Winter especially with the sun and the lace curtains. My fave room I think in our home. Lovely thread. c

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Ooh, this is fun!
    I went back and stared at the duck again, and thought about ditching the traditional library for something else.

Now I'm seeing an open post-and-beam house on a lake high in the mountains, golden terra cotta walls, wide-planked deep rich cherry floors, big wide windows with thin black muntins, black and white striped curtains, a mossy green wool velvet rug, creamy white slipcovered smooshy sofas, a cowhide butterfly chair, sleek modern lighting, and a collection of Anasazi pottery.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A walk in closet?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also can see a master bedroom with a large carved mahogany 4 poster bed with a wooden canopy, navy walls, gold carpeting, forest green bedding with some rust and orange throw pillows....very ralph lauren....

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

:) I have some of these pinned....This is fun...

{{!gwi}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: completelytotallymadly.blogspot.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: architecturaldigest.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

these remind me of the Bouquet....

{{!gwi}}

Source: via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: hearthomemag.co.uk via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a tween's room for the bouquet...

{{!gwi}}

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

That is pretty! I forgot this one - also one of my favorites!

{{!gwi}}

Source: genie-in-the-bottle.tumblr.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Get a load of this bird!

I could do a room around those colors!

Oh wait, I already did....my PR!