Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfmiii_gw

What color yellow paint is this?? UUUUHHHHH!

jfmiii
11 years ago

I have been searching for hours trying to find the right color and have tried using BM colormatch app to no avail. Below are several pics of the color. Thanks!

http://docs.atproperties.com/webpix/70056738/165.jpg

http://docs.atproperties.com/webpix/70056738/101.jpg

http://docs.atproperties.com/webpix/70056738/1.jpg

Comments (26)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

We have a color nearly identical to that yellow in our guest room and also DH's study, and we love it! It's a custom color, though; my house painter and I worked with samples of whites and yellows until we achieved this look. He wanted the same color on the ceiling, whereas as I wanted white. We compromised and added a little bit of the wall paint to a flat ceiling white and it softens the look just enough. He also worked with the Kelly Moore people to get everything right, including the trim, but I don't recall those details.

I wonder if you could take these pictures to a Ben Moore store. I'll bet they could match it for you. I've also had Home Depot do some color-matching for me and they did a fine job.

That is such a beautiful and versatile yellow! It can handle almost any other colors you add to your room and also manages lighting differences well. Our guest room has southern light and the study has northern light, and both look very good, IMO.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Looks like Hawthorne Yellow (Ben Moore) to me....

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawthorne Yellow Image

• jfmiii
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hawthorne yellow does look close. as does lighthouse from BM......

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

I don't want to discourage you, but knowing the name and brand of that paint isn't going to help you.

Because you are looking at an image, whether print or digital, that is merely a representation of how the color looks on the walls. (notice that even in the picture the different walls appear to be different shades, even though I doubt that they are.)

The best info you can get from the picture is to notice that it is a warm, slightly apricot-ish yellow (as opposed to lemon). it appears to be a pretty clear color as opposed to one with complex complementary admixtures and probably not much black. It is pretty pale, when judged against the white trim.

But even if we knew or could guess (or you could contact editorial and get the info) the exact color, brand strength, etc. there is an excellent chance that it wouldn't look anything like the picture you admire when applied to your walls- because it is the picture of the paint you admire, not necessarily the actual shade of paint.

That being said the suggested color names above will give you a jumping off point to begin the process..

Nothing beats choosing some and doing largish test panels on foam board.

Because you asked specifically, I'll suggest looking at Donald Kaufman DKC-30, perhaps at 75% strength.

L.

• sas95
    11 years ago

I agree with the poster who suggested Filtered Sunlight. We have it in our LR and entryway, and it looks just like that.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

On my monitor, it looks EXACTLY like my dining room and a hall which is Valspar Homestead Resort Sunwash. But monitors are not always accurate. As you can see in this google search, the color looks different in each picture.

But I think it is close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images of Valspar Homestead Resort Sunwash

• kswl2
    11 years ago

It is not hAwthorne Yellow, as the paint in the picture has a red undertone that Hawthorne yellow does not have--- even if the color is way off on my screen, it is still not Hawthorne. FYI :-)

• MartianMan
    11 years ago

It's more Hawthorne Yellow http://encycolorpedia.com/f6e2a5 instead of Lighthouse to my eyes: http://encycolorpedia.com/fff1c7

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawthorne Yellow

• kswl2
    11 years ago

No experience with Lighthouse, but lots with Hawthorne. The undertones are not what is represented in the photo. It's often possible to call the designer of a room featured in a magazine and find out what paint was used.

• new_home1024
    11 years ago

It looks a lot like a yellow we just used, valspar signature creme brulee. It is not the same as regular valspar creme brulee which is more orange.

• ashef
    11 years ago

The color is a wonderful beigey-yellow & could be Benjamin Moore's Mushroom Cap 177 or Valspar Homestead Resort Sunwash. I have Homestead Resort Sunwash in a hallway and several bedrooms and love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: [BM Mushroom Cap[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/michigan-summer-home-beach-style-dining-room-chicago-phvw-vp~1693869)

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

I don't think it's Hawthorne Yellow, it's too peachy for Hawthorne.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

What part of the photos are you wanting to match? They vary quite a bit from quite pale and creamy to looking like a clear yellow and lemony.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

As a general rule, when you are trying to do a yellow that sort of works as a neutral, the best thing to do is take the entire yellow section of the paint chip deck, rip it out and throw it away. Yes, there are a couple of softer colors in there like Lighthouse but for the most part you're really looking for something beige that doesn't look yellow at all on the chip. It will look yellow over a larger space.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Look at creams too. The true yellows are strong.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

My living room is Ben Moore Philadelphia Cream. I looked up Google images, and saw my fireplace from fall one year in the first pic in the second row. It looks very yellow in certain lights and creamy in others. But it's definitely not a beige, as some of the swatches in the link show.

Our monitors do play a huge part in how we see these colors, as do the quality real estate shots above. And 'your mileage may vary' with the exact paint color, unless your room is sited and lit as the one in your inspiration shots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore Philadelphia Cream room images

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Philadelphia Cream in particular looks like a beigy off-white on the small chip. It is yellow once it's on the wall.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

So, if you do a sample board of Philadelphia Cream, maybe 3x3, will you be able to see it as a yellow?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

That depends on the lighting. Sometimes it's quite yellow as in my fireplace mantel pic, and others it's a rich creamy color, but never beige.

I just found a great comparison - same mantel, but different lighting - all Philadelphia Cream.

• aa62579
    11 years ago

Any particular paint brand you want to stay with? A lot is just going to depend on your lighting.

I'd stay away from yellows and focus on the off-whites and neutrals. Choose some that look more peach, some that look more yellow. Paint some swatches in your room (or on posterboard) and see what your lighting does to them (and that should also steer you either towards the yellow or the peach undertones as your preference.)

• aa62579
    11 years ago

Also, did you see mom2girls_2008 photo in this thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Barley

• aiallega
    11 years ago

I have Philadelphia Cream in my bedroom. The color in fjmii's pics look a little more lemony in my opinion. PC does change a lot with lighting.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

We have BM Cream Yellow in much of our house and it seems pretty similar. It does vary with lighting though.

• amcken3
    5 years ago

It is definitely NOT Hawthorne by BM, Hawthorne is MUCH more yellow.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio