Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qs777

Need paint color help.

qs777
11 years ago

I want to re-do my 12 yr. old son's room as a surprise and need help with a paint color for his ceiling.

It is a small room and I had wanted to do a darker blue ceiling with neutral walls like the photo below (except with the blue instead of pink):

The problem I am having is that the blue has to be complimentary to the American flag as my son has it hanging in his room. I never realized how purple the blue is on the flag until I started holding swatches up to it so I am having difficulty picking a color. So now, I am not sure what color to use or if I should scrap the idea altogether. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I prefer BM or SW colors since I have those fan decks (and SW is having a sale this week.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted ceiling

Comments (10)

• christine1950
    11 years ago

I feel that a ceiling painted darker makes a room look smaller and closed in, its always easier to have more of a neutral color on the ceiling, I love to paint but I hate to do ceilings LOL...

• qs777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Christine! The smaller feel was also a concern. We were going to add simple crown moulding to provide a little break so I was hoping that would help.

Every wall seems to have something going on so I couldn't just paint one wall as an accent so that is where I thought of the ceiling. I love how my posted picture looks and thought maybe there was a way to do it to provide more interest in the room.

I was hoping I could get DH to do the ceiling for me - after all, it is his child too. ;)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Does BM Denim Wash work for you? ...it is more on the Gray side.

Sounds like a fun room - lucky kid!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

gs777, maybe a dark purple/violet is what you should be looking for. Here's a SW color that might work.

Here is a link that might be useful: paint

• qs777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the recommendation LuAnn. I will check out that color. I actually would prefer to go more gray as it seems to be a similar hue value to my inspiration photo which is Raspberry Mousse and I love grayed colors. I just wasn't sure if it would relate to the flag.

Yes, he is lucky - esp. considering I still have not painted the hallway or finished our bathroom yet. :) He's a good kid and great big brother to his sister. Plus, it will give us a chance to get rid of some things in his closet which he just can't seem to part with on his own. We'll just put them in a box in case he remembers, which I don't think he will.

• qs777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Patty Cakes! I know I had looked at the Majestic Purple, but didn't see that one. It must have been stuck together with another card. Our decks see a lot of action around here. lol

Do you think I should be looking on the same strip but go for lighter - like Solitude or Icy or should I go bold with the darker color?

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Personally, I *like* the idea of a darker color. How about adding some of those glow-in-the-dark stars to the ceiling?

Solitude and Dignified look to be very close. Icy is pretty, but I would go for the BOLD! ;o)

• qs777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you patty cakes! My son actually wanted to add the stars when I was talking about this a few months ago. He doesn't know we are actually doing this as he will be away for a couple of days on a school function. The benefit of a small room is that it (hopefully) won't take too long to do it again if we don't like it.

I think we will go bold since it is only paint. You sound like my kind of gal! :) Thanks for the encouragement!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Your welcome. Don't forget to post pictures. ;o)

I'll be 'going bold' when I paint my DR black, and have a wallpapered ceiling! ;o)

• qs777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see your DR! I love black and wallpaper! Hope you will post pictures as well.