Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megpie77

Never thought I'd be back for paint help. Please? Pic heavy

megpie77
13 years ago

Hello all! I could sure use some help once and for all, for good, for years to come, till the cows come home. I don't want to paint any more! Well, at least when I am done painting...just as soon as I pick a color. I will try to make this quick:

I bought a sectional in khaki. I wanted "natural" (off white) but my mom recomended khaki and since she has such beautiful taste I thought she'd be right.

The paint that seemed to go great with the couch is BM camouflage. I thought it looked so pretty and unexpected. Half way through painting I wasn't loving it. It was too muddy at night. I gave it a chance since I was going from golden/yellow to grayish green. So...

I hired a designer. She encouraged me to keep it, though non of the inspirational pictures I sent her had green walls. No mam, I think they were all some sort of off white, cream, etc. She explained to me that once the room was pulled together (hanging pictures, putting a chair by the fireplace,) it would look great. The bottom line...

It's a pretty color but I would just rather have a pretty off white or cream as my backdrop. But...

It just aint that easy. You see, I love muted colors, not too warm, not peachy, not pastel, but I don't think the gray toned colors are working in my home. I've tried BM manchester tan-too gray and not enough creaminess. BM hush-a big possibility since our downstairs is painted Hush and my inspiration pics below feature this color. I painted a small section in Hush and it's not looking so good upstairs (the main space I'm talking about). It looks gray and fleshy. But can't I jazz it up? How do I find that deeper than cream but not quite a color color? I'm lost!!! Should I go more warm neutral and skip the whole "ever so popular greige"? I live in the Pacific Northwest and am questioning these lovely but difficult-in-my-home greige colors. I know that if I keep the khaki slipcover that is currently on our couch I should definately go warmer. However, I have a sewing machine and am determined to make a slipcover for this ginormous sectional. I can do almost anything, so long as I stay determined and stubborn.

Sorry for the long rant. Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you for your time!

My home

It's actually sunny today and hard to see the green tone in the pic!

Now can you see the green tone?

Hush in our downstairs family room. (excuse the unfinished room...we are not done!)

BM hush inspiration

other color inspiration

Comments (40)

• alyssak
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Why don't you try a more creamy beige? Like a butter color. Gray- beige may be in but I think it will look a bit bland in your home.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is that what it is? The greige colors just look bland in my home. Good way to put it. But I wonder why? Is it floor plan? Window placement or lack of windows? I wonder if it is simply lack of furnishings, but this living room is somewhat difficult to decorate.

Thank you for suggesting a more creamy beige. Now I just need to know WHAT creamy beige to try.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

The color of your LR wall color looks grey/green on my monitor.

I love the BM Hush, but how does it look with your current slipcover color? I would change either the paint color or make the slipcover. Not having sewing skills, you would definitely find me on a ladder using a different wall color (warmer less grey/green, more of a brown tone). Then again, all monitors can be different so you may get many totally different responses on the direction to go. lol

• suero
    13 years ago

Your inspiration rooms have much bolder colors than your room does. I think your paint is fine. What you need are brighter accessories, like green plants, artworks on the walls, a vase with bittersweet branches, something from the opposite side of the spectrum from your blues and greens.

• natal
    13 years ago

I love your colors! I think what's missing is art on the walls and a few accessories to tie it together.

• chispa
    13 years ago

Were you surprised that BM Camouflage turned green? Photos and comments here usually show that it does tend towards green. If you want more beige, you can take a look at SW Kilim Beige, but beware, that color can sometimes go in the bandaid-beige direction - not a good look! It looked great in my last house but not in the current one. Do sample boards before buying gallons of any color!!!

• pps7
    13 years ago

I LOVE it. I think it needs more colorful acessories. Art by the stairway and !window treatments.

I have the opposite problem. I choose natural cream (very close to edgecomb), and most of the time I love it but in the brighT afternoon sun it looks too beige/yellow. I wish it were greyer. Should have gone with revere pewter. This family of colors is really hard to judge.

• User
    13 years ago

Hey, I have those same larger sized pillow covers from PB too only mine have the blue back ground. Love those! I've found that creams with a yellowish tint tend to have a softer feel and reflect light a lot nicer than the beige colors do. They also seem to work well with most all other colors. We have Raffia Creme by Behr and I love it. It's similar to the back ground color of your pillow covers only it doesn't have as much yellow.

• teacats
    13 years ago

How about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Jute

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I like it in general, and its mutable which I also like--I think paint colors are interesting when they change.

• decordummy_gw
    13 years ago

I think it looks nice. Your sectional looks like it was custom made to fit that spot, and I really like your carpet.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I like it, but I also have a fondness for soft blues and greens. I also don't live in the PNW...

Have you tried full spectrum bulbs in your lights? It may just be your geography that makes it seem muddy to you, or you may be very sensitive to the gray toned colors. It's still winter there, isn't it?

If it were me, I'd try changing light bulbs, adding a few more accessories, and see what happens as Spring rolls around.

If that still doesn't do it for you, I can recommend Behr's "Calla Lily" and "Nude."

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

Nice home. I like it but think you could spice it up with soft blue window treatments like your inspiration photos.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
    It sounds like most of you think the paint is fine and agree that adding furnishings is key. I've been afraid to add furnishings for fear that in the end I still won't like the camouflage. However, it is a very soothing and calm color. I have to say that my pictures look bright and happy but in person it does look more gray/green dullish, but mostly because of the weather.

work in progress-hush does not look good with my khaki slipcover at all.

suero-you make a good point. I've never realized that my inspiration pictures actually have more bold colored furnishings. I do know it's a matter of adding accessories.

chispa-I am not surprised the camouflage is/turned green. I definitely saw the green hue. It was the prettiest color compared to all of the other swatches I had on the wall. I still think it is very pretty. I think when I was done I realized that I have always liked cream and should have picked a pretty shade of cream.

lukkiirish-Thanks! I love those pillows.

teacats-yes I've tried jute. I love it! However, it too is too gray for my living room.

Thanks again everyone. HHMMM.....I'm still thinking it over.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

I really like the wall colour, it was the blank walls and large window which stood out as really stark and bland to me so I agree it will look much better when you're finished decorating.

• ndragonfly
    13 years ago

Sorry to pry, but is that your kitchen? I LOVE it! I have a very small galley style kitchen with old slab door cabinets, this is exactly the style I want to replicate! Did you paint the cabinets yourself or buy them this way? If you painted them do you know the brand and color used?

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I love your spaces and I think the room is very pretty w/ the current color but I totally hear what you're saying!

The color in the DR inspiration pic that you posted is BM White Sands OC-10.

I'm also a big fan of (and have used very successfully to my liking):

BM Ivory Porcelain CC 239
    BM Winter Wheat CC 232 (Cream Fleece - 1 down is one of Phoebe Howards go to colors).

And my most favorite white ever as found via GW:

BM Mayonnaise 2152-70 which looks positively yellow on the chip but when I painted my mudroom (w/ natural linene curtains, mixed wood furniture and traditional blue and white ginger jar collection) I was blown away.

• rosysunnygirl
    13 years ago

I am in love with your rug -- it looks so nice with the sofa. And your inspiration photos are pretty, too.

But I think you should forget about whatever color is used in photos or someplace else. Your home is not that place in the pictures, or any of our homes. It has different lighting and exposure, different furnishings and surroundings. The same color can look completely different depending on where it is. And just cause you love it or I love it doesn't mean it belongs in your house (passing along experience learned the hard way). JMO, of course, for whatever it's worth. No offense intended.

I'd say pick a few colors from the rug (if it's always going to be in that room) and stick them up on the wall, in a few different spots. Adjust lighter or darker depending on what it looks like in your actual house, with your actual light and furnishings and whatever else is nearby.

Maybe if you're not adverse to changing things up a little, I think the ivory furniture from the basement would be beautiful up there with that rug, with a creamy beige (pulled from the rug) that someone up-thread suggested...

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

megpie77! Nice to hear from you, it's been a long long time.

I looked at your pictures, your inspiration photos, and back and forth, and over and over again.

So here is what I think. I like the paint color. What I think is you should find some sort of silvery-blue curtains. Look at your inspiration photos--they all have them. I think you could mount them high, make sure they are really full. And don't block the window with them, make sure they stack way back on the wall.

If you need to inject color by using paint, I would like to suggest using something from the Affinity colors at BM. They really are nice and go with so many things. I used a crazy-on-the-chip color, Wasabi, in my living room and absolutely love it. I can't believe how well it goes with my grays on the first floor and the purples I have in there as accents. So check out those colors, maybe painting that tall wall in the stairwell some sort of accent color? Not sure if that is the answer, but it is just a thought.

Also, I would bring in a chair in that blue color too. Maybe a chair without arms? Or two chairs? I've seen some great ones lately at my local Home Goods.

Is there any blue in the dining room? That would really help tie the spaces together.

The kitchen looks great, I don't remember you ever posting the finished product. I probably just missed it (or can't remember!)

Hope that my thoughts aren't too random in regards to your living room. I remember when you were getting ready to purchase the sectional, it's nice to see it in the room. Can you buy slipcovers from JCP for it? Maybe with a good sale, a coupon, and any other promotion you could get good deal.

-Bee

• loribee
    13 years ago

Your home is lovely....
    Looking at your inspiration pix, I see neutral walls with no hint of green and blue WT's. I'd try the blue drapes first- so much easier than painting! If that doesn't work then you could try another paint, maybe going with a hint of yellow to combat your gray days (like SW Antique White).

• graywings123
    13 years ago

She explained to me that once the room was pulled together (hanging pictures, putting a chair by the fireplace,) it would look great.

I think your designer is right.

• awm03
    13 years ago

megpie, your rooms are beautiful. I love the colors and your tastes in general. Have you thought of bringing more light into the room by either adding windows or a Solatube? More light would show off the delicate coloring better and get those rooms out of the perpetual gloom of shadow. I was thinking either some clerestory windows somewhere on the TV wall for cross lighting (is that a dining room to the left of the TV?) or installing a Solatube (link below shows what that is) in the LR area. Just wanted to bring up the idea of putting money into more light instead of paint & accessories. I've added windows in my home, and it's made a world of difference in terms of livability and pleasantness.

rosysunnygirl brings up an excellent point about the photos. The light is different and most likely artificially enhanced with photographer's lights. Professional photographers are experts at lighting a setting to highlight details & remove shadows. The photos are probably photoshopped afterwards to bring out textures & enhance colors. In other words, you can't quite duplicate the subtle ambience that makes those pictures so appealing. But cross lighting or at least a skylight would help tremendously.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solatube pix

• ttodd
    13 years ago

SW White Hyacinth is another really great rich off-white. The other 2 colors that I posted, Porcelain Ivory and Winter Wheat, lean on the 'crusty' side of off white. Mayonnaise and White Hyacinth lean towards the rich creamy side of off white. White Hyacinth is a tad richer/ more buttery w/o being yellow than BM Mayonnaise.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

ndragonfly-thank for the compliment! Our cabinets are maple and were sprayed Benjamin Moore Moonlight white by the cabinet maker. I can't remember which type of paint he used but I do know it's whatever is recommended for cabinetry.

ttodd-I was hoping to get color suggestion, so thank you! I have always really liked cream fleece. It looks nice and light on the swatch but wasn't sure if it would look light in real life...you know sometimes a color will look more intense once it's up. The helpful gal at the paint store recommended Crisp Khaki (one down from cream fleece) based on my feedback on how drab some of the greige colors were looking in my home. I'm trying to find that color that looks similar to what they use on the wall in Ballard Designs magazines: a nondescript creamy white or light khaki, no peachy tones and doesn't necessarily read yellow as well. I almost painted our cabinetry mayonnaise! I will check it out again along with the other colors you've suggested. Oh, by the way, do you happen to have a picture of the mudroom? I would love to see it. I know you have a lovely home from some of your posts!

beekeeper, hello! Our new little pup is keeping me quite busy. BTW I recently saw a pic of you entire home-Gorgeous! You must be a designer at heart: The designer I hired suggested blue curtains, painting the stairwell and the kitchen an accent color (SW sea salt), and suggested a chair by the fireplace. Ballard designs has a new chair-Layla chair. I can get it in a pretty spa blue colored slipcover. It is armless, smaller in scale, somewhat inexpensive, and has a pleated hem. I never did post finished kitchen pictures. I still need to get some nicknacks. The natural color slipcover Penneys offers is dingy white. I might convince them to let me take the sample fabric home so I can see it in place.

Awm0-you and rosysunnygirl make a great point about the inspirational photos. The color Hush used in one of those rooms will not look the same in my home. What I am looking for are suggestions that could possibly give me the same effect. I have thought about bringing in more light. I wanted to add built-ins on the sides of the fireplace and add windows up top of them. Since we aren't goint to do that I don't have a clue as how to add more light. I thought about adding more mirrors to reflect light. I will look into the solatube. Thanks for the suggestion.

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I have BM crisp Khaki in my basement hallway and bathroom. I like it--it is very neutral. I don't see any undertones--no pink, no peach, no green. It is just a nice light tan color.

I have SW softer tan at 75% in my upstairs hallway. It is a lighter color--looks very nice with SW dover white trim. Just a nice very light creamy tan.

Here is a link showing the colors

BM crisp Khaki & SW sofer tan (75%)

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Thanks megpie! I will take a bad pic later when DH brings the camera home. In the meantime here is SW White Hyacinth on my closet door trim (please ignore the horrendously painted bureau on the background. Please.):

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Beautiful rooms all you need it art! Instead of buying some generic prints you should give some big canvas's a try. Those colors in the screen panel in your inspiration picture would be pretty easy to pull off for a color splash. You can watch the basics on how to prepare a canvas for acrylics right on youtube. In the craft sections of your local store see if they sell Accent double pigment craft paints in metallic. Then buy some regular acrylic paint. You do not have to be an artist to get a sort of look with those colors nor do you need to actually paint the design. Get the paint on the canvas and fan it out in spots. I hope you try it; your room will go from beautiful to wow beautiful.

• mpmg46
    13 years ago

I'm not much help, but I love your home! It's everything that mine is not, but that I love! I'm sure you will figure out what exactly is missing for you, b/c you obviously have an amazing eye!!

• JoeGlass2011
    13 years ago

I think you definitely need a need paint to liven the place up. I have a very light green in my house, and I know that's pretty bold, but it looks fantastic. Great collection, beautiful pictures, thanks for the uploads : )

The best Wii games for kids can be difficult to find. Thebestgame.net is a great place to find the best Wii games. Also find games for adults. The best wii games for adults is a great resource for finding Wii games.and of course don't forget about best multiplayer Wii games Which are great for getting all of your friends together to play Wii games.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ttodd-Thanks for the pic. Your room colors are beautiful! The trim paint is a lovely cream. I couldn't find it at SW. Perhaps it's a color I have to ask for. Sherwin Williams doesn't have as big of a selection as BM paint, do they (or at least our store doesn't)? The less options the better for me! Have you been happy with the quality of their paint? If it's not too much of an inconvenience I would love to see the mudroom whenever you get the camera back.

jterrilynn-Wow! What a great suggestion. I have actually taken up painting recently so this would be a great project.

mpmg46-Thanks for the compliment!

Joeglass2011-What the...!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Hi magpie, you could always fool around with some crafty stuff too. This is a $1 garage sale buy; it had an ugly picture print and a nasty brown frame. About eighteen years ago on a whim I poured a few shades of double pigment paint on Cling Wrap and zapped in an old microwave in the garage. After priming the picture I poured some metallic paints on and blended. I then glued on the Cling Wrap and stitched everything in with stitch craft paint. I wasn't actually expecting much out of the junk but I ended up liking it. The picture now lives in the game room; it took no time, money and little experience to make. Although this would not be exactly right for your space I hope I have inspired you to try and mock a few canvases like those cool panels in your inspiration picture.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=picture017.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=picture015.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1640918}}

• trinityklm
    13 years ago

Meg,

I don't have much to add, but I wanted to share that you aren't alone. I lived with BM Flowering Herbs (greyish green) walls for a few months and slowly hated it more and more. I've determined that I need warmth on my walls, whether it would make a decorator happy or not. I'm dealing with bluish north-facing light so I settled on BM Jicama which is warm and very neutral looking when the cool sunlight comes through the windows.

Good luck!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I didn't forget about the pic of Mayonnaise I swear! By the time I found the camera card it was dark out and I really wanted to take a pic of it for you at a certain time of day when it positively glows. Of course everyday since finding the card has been overcast, cloudy, rainy or suppossed to snow!

• megpie77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much again!
    jterrilynn-what a cool piece of art. I will have to right that down.

trinityklm-thanks. Our dining room wall across from the living room is eastern facing and the living room is western. I think it must be the split level floor plan and lack of windows and the gray PNW. I think I'm going to add the art, photos and accessories my home needs and if I still can't stand it, it will be a summer project.
    Jicama is so beautiful. I was in Pottery barn and they had a wall painted with that color. I was tempted to use it in our family room downstairs.

Thanks ttodd-just whenever you get a chance! Have fun in the snow if it snows.

• makeithome
    13 years ago

I just have to say that I LOVE your home! You have accomplished a look that I have been trying to accomplish myself. I agree with the sentiment that all you need are some greenery and bolder accessories. But I think your rooms are all really lovely!

• rln81_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I love what you have done. One thing that jumps out a me is that maybe you could move the sofa away from the window in the living room so the window is accessible. Can the sectional be broken up into pieces? Create a different layout and more conversational/inviting room. I feel like the things are clustered to that one side of the room -I see that quite a bit on home makeover shows. "Sell this House". Thanks for posting your pics, I was looking for ideas myself.

• jen9
    12 years ago

I think your home looks lovely --- my first thought was that your ceiling appears (on my monitor) to be a stark white. I am wondering if you went a creamier tone on the ceiling if that would help. I know that has helped me in the past -

• peegee
    12 years ago

I believe that the warmer lighting in your inspiration pictures helps to create the difference you experience, so I would add some warmer accents and agree with Suero's suggestion of some bittersweet, etc. Imagine the pic of you kitchen without the red pops from the fruit/veggies...a little helps to warm it up. Agree your decorator is right...Penny G.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Perhaps Sea Sand by Porter?

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia