Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

Anyone have any pictures of Farrow and Ball Fawn?

positano
15 years ago

It's in the running for my kitchen walls, just wanted to see some pictures of it.

Do you know if F and B paint can be lightened? I asked one paint place and they said they can't touch their formulas.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Farrow and Ball does do custom mixes. I believe there is a $100 fee for doing so. I discovered this a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure about what they do now. I talked to the offices in Canada. While I have ordered paint from them, it was never a custom color.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

F&B does have a custom color charge. I thought it was like $50 but KD may have more up to date info. But, the real problem is there is a four gallon minimum for custom colors. Plus shipping.

I did speak to them about using one of their whites to lighten a darker color, but they advised against it. They'd have to, of course. I think it's best to like the colors, the way they are, or look elsewhere.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I have fawn in my family room. It change from taupe to cream to green. I will take a pic tomorrow for you. It isn't dark at all. I have mixed F&B color before, but sometimes when you mix w/ their white the result isn't merely a lighter shade. The color may alter a bit.

The upper cabinet in this pic is Fawn. In my house it's more creamy parchment like in the morning, and very greyish green in shadow.

{{!gwi}}

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oooh, thanks bellaflora. I would love to see a picture of it. That picture of the cabinets looks nothing like the sample I painted on my wall. Mine is a taupe, and gray green like you described, but I don't see the cream. And I have a lot of sunlight.

How many coats did you use? a friend said she only had to use 1 for her dining room(card room green).

Do you like it? I'm looking for a good neutral to go with Costa Esmeralda granite. I have some pieces of Wedgewood drabware that I was trying to match. I know Martha Stewart makes a color called Drabware, but it looked way to dark.

I'll be looking for your pictures tomorrow.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Ooooohhhhh Bella - everything about your cabinets, cabinet color and dishes are perfect.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

ttodd: that's not my kitchen :-) I wish I'm that neat (or restrained for that matter!) It belongs to somebody I know.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I have a really hard time capture the true color on film. Just be warned that irl it's way more creamy and much lighter -- not so green. It can even appeared a bit taupish in certain light.

Anyhow--my best try (I need new camera!) ;->

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The color changed a lot & IMO it isn't dark at all.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for the picture. Your right it does look more green, but I don't see that in the sample. Mine even seems to have more brown, maybe it's my lighting.

It looks great! Do you like it? How many coats did you use?

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Positano: the sample is very misleading -- When I tried the sample on white prime wall, it looks totally green & yucky. I think it's because the white walls surrounding the sample bring out the muted quality of the paint. If you paint the sample against existing paint, it is even more misleading. I have used this paint before w/ skylight blue ceiling and it was a taupe. I would paint a large poster size sample board and look at it at different light. That works the best for me.

In my hallway where there's a lot of shadow it's distinctively grey/green. When I turn on the light it changes color again to brown.

On the cabinets pic it's actually very taupe! Maybe because the kitchen has limestone floor & the light is reflected differently.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bella! I just want to make sure there is no pinky purply taupe and your picture definitely doesn't look that way.

I'll ask one more time, then I won't bother you again. Do you know how many coats you used? Did you like the coverage of F&B?

Did you pick this color after seeing it on your friends cabinets?

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Hey you are free to bother me anytime. Sorry I miss you q. a/b coverage.

Everybody raves a/b F&B's coverage. The paint is a lot thicker than the usual brand. You have no problem w/ coverage there. However, what I love best a/b F&B is their luminosity, depth of the color, & their beautiful flat finish. I also prefer their palette over others.

Are you looking for a green, or a neutral w/ green undertone? I would say that Fawn (for me) is neutral/creamy yellow in bright light & changed to greyish green in shadow. A lighter counterpart would be Bone. But honestly, if you are using it in your kitchen where there's not a lot of walls, I don't think Fawn would be too dark at all.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I went to kitchen forum to look at your kitchen's material selection :-) I think Fawn would look fantastic in your kitchen. Seriously.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!! I'm looking for a good neutral, not gold, not a lot of green since my countertop has a good amount. Kind of like that Martha Stewart color that she uses a lot. I have Wedgewood drabware and I thought a wall color similar to that, but not too dark would work. That way I can pop my color in other ways around the room.

My other color in the running is Crown Point Sand by BM. But on my walls during the day it looks very gold/green. I love it at night.

The way you describe fawn sounds great, although I don't see a smidge of yellow in my wall sample. I painted a 2x4 and move it around the room. Very nice color.

These aren't the best pictures. We will paint the backsplash and all the wall. Money is tight so backsplash is on hold for a bit.

My chairs in the living room are a silver sage type of color and the rug has green, sage, brown and blue in it.

The table in the kitchen is from the patio, just wanted to see if that size works. Eventually we'll get a dark round wood table ane new chairs. And window treatments!

Granite is Costa Esmeralda

You've been so helpful.

Thank you!

From pendant lights
    From January 2009
    From January 2009