Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

how to handle this window treatment situation...

maggiepie11
10 years ago

my first purchase for our new house months and months ago, i think before the framing even started, was 2 pair of window treatments that I had in my daughter's nursery in our last house. i loved them and used them as inspiration for our new living room on the windows flanking our fireplace.

however, the fireplace was framed out wider than planned, and now i have a VERY narrow space between the window and the fireplace. i don't want to block a lot of light, and these curtain panels are quite full.

some initial thoughts -

1) hang all 4 panels and somehow restrict the fullness by an invisible tieback (thread or something?) other tricks?

2) hang only 2 panels - one on each outer edge of the window. and if i do that, would i use a full length rod?

3) cut the window panels in half and re-hem to reduce the fullness and hang all 4.

4) hang a full panel on each window covering the window and use a tieback for the swoop effect. i'm not really a swooper but wanted to throw it out there.

any other suggestions? what do you recommend? i love these curtains and am sad they're not working out to my original plan.

here's a pic of the windows and fireplace: not a great pic, but there's plenty of room on the outer window wall, it's just inside by the fireplace edges.

here's a pic of the same curtains we had in our last house.
{{!gwi}}

Comments (28)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think I'd go with #3, cutting two curtains in half and hanging four narrower ones. I think it'll work best not only because of the narrowness near the fireplace but the narrowness of the wall to the right of the window as well. Can't see the outer wall of the left window.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or, what if you have them converted into Roman shades?

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooh, not feeling the roman shades. we don't need privacy or to block light or anything. just want to dress the window with this really beautiful fabric. pictures don't do it justice.

my mom thinks i'm insane for considering cutting them in half, but i think that might do the trick. though the rod will be tricky going right up to the stone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd do #2 and yes use a rod over the whole window for an asymmetric window treatment. I think it would look nice.

[Farmhouse Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2114) by Kenilworth General Contractors Quality Homes

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

So, if you cut one set in half and it doesn't work, you still have two to do the side swoop thing, so you have an out, at least.

I hear you on the Roman shades. I'm not a fan myself. I prefer blinds and plantation shutters to drapes altogether.

Love your ceiling, btw.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

How wide is the panel? What is the top treatment? A back tab? There are other top treatments that tend to stack flatter than the back tab such as a grommet or inverted pleat. Perhaps you could retrofit the top. In any case, II would hesitate to cut the panel in half. I think it will look skimpy.

• theresa2
    10 years ago

I'd hang a short decorative rod on the outer edge of each window and only hang one full panel on the outer edge.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

"...though the rod will be tricky going right up to the stone. "

if you get a rod where you purchase the finials separately and if you do the asymmetrical swoop thing, you can use the default finial that comes with the rod for the fireplace side, which is quite flat. Asymmetrical drapes...asymmetrical finials.

I am going to have a similar and maybe worse problem with this fireplace placement. There is about 2" max for stacking space on the FP side. At least yours are symmetrical.

• ltlfromgardenweb
    10 years ago

Throwing my vote out there for option 2. There's so little space between the fireplace and the windows that any fabric at all in between will look squishy and awkward.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Sorry but IMO your existing drapery panels don't seem to be the correct height for the windows in your new room, and a bit too formal in style..

Use the drapes in a bedroom and find a different solution for your great new room.

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Are these lined? It seems like they flare out quite a bit and possibly a nice weight lining would help them hang neater. Also agree to rework the top----if they were actually pleated, I think you would get better folds going down to the floor and they would not look so billowy---but I'm afraid they'll look crammed into the fireplace. At least you can tack them up there to see if that bothers you.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow - lots of different opinions.

to answer some questions...

the tops have a rod pocket and they also have back tabs, and they are very heavily lined already.

each panel is 57" wide and 98" long. floor to ceiling beams/trim is just a hair under 10 feet, and each window is 36" wide.

these are definitely going in the living room!

i guess i need to try it a few different ways. it seems like the general consensus is a full size curtain rod, so if i buy those then i can experiment.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

This might be how the drapes will appear in the room.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol beverly - i'm a photoshopper too and that was the first thing i did before posting! :) thank you for taking the time to do it!

i like the narrow strip against the fireplace, but i'm just not sure how the rod would look pressed right up against it.

why don't you like the height?

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would attempt to hang two full curtains on one window and see what you think. You can do a small tie back if they are too full. If that does not look right, then you can cut them in half and do that for both windows.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Regardless of what you decide, I think a full-length rod is appropriate to use. Then, you can experiment to see what works for you.

I would go with option 2, though, because I don't like the look of heavily lined drapery butting a fireplace, especially one that is as rustic as yours.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If you do end up cutting them, cut then down bit by bit. Try 1/4 off first, for example, until you get the right size which looks right.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

MaggiePie, Without being influenced by the drapes you love so very much, & starting from scratch with this room. I would recommend soft linen unlined drapes on either side of each window, mounted from decorative hardware, probably not rods, and a faux woven wood shade mounted below the drapes.

The textured basketweave linen because it's such a complement to the stone & the lovely paint color in the room. The darker woven wood faux shade for a bit of texture & drama to balance the stone of the fireplace.

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Beverly. The drapes are too short and appear, at least on my monitor, to be too formal for the space. I also like the idea of linen drapes - they will hang better and compliment the fireplace well. I know you love the drapes and they are lovely, but I don't see them as a good fit even if modified for this room.
    Diane

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Agree with Diane. Not drapes, but my shower curtain is linen, and I love the way it hangs.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 15:03

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

If you want to use the curtain material, how about using it to cover a bold valance above the window, maybe with 2 vertical rows of circles? Then add shades to match the darker color in the valance.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

I think the suggestion of an unlined linen drape would look lovely but I can also see the desire to try these ones out. I agree that the drapes look toofull/puffy, esp. at the bottoms.. Is there someway you could give it more of a pleated stacked back look? Can you put in folds and tie them together for several days to see if they will crease better. As they are stationary panels you can work with them to get just the right look.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If the drapes look too short, you can use the extra panels to have a valance made to fill in the space above the window. Or a cornice board. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a fancy rod or how to end it by the fireplace.

This one is too fancy, but just to give the idea of the asymmetric panels under a cornice.

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Ellicott City Interior Designers & Decorators Laura Manning Bendik

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, i just wanted to follow up now that i'm back on track.

thank you all for the feedback. for full disclosure, i went through my own stages of grief. my first reaction was frustration that many of you were telling me not to use these curtains i was 100% planning to use and absolutely LOVE passionately when i was only asking for help on the means with which to hang them! then it turned to sadness that you don't like my drapes. then it turned to realization that i've had the same concerns about the formality and the length all along but didn't want to admit it because i love them so. then finally acceptance - these drapes have to go back. lol

i more of the elements in the whole open space, and i think i'm on a much better track now. i'm scared to share my new plans because i love this new direction. :) i'm going to go with 1 panel on each window, hung all the way up near the beam at 120", side swooped outward and tied back with rope. i can't decide between opaque linen and textured linen, but i'm pretty sure i'm going with the spruce color from Restoration hardware. here's the look:

but this is the color:

unless you have tips for sources for lovely linen drapes in 120" length. i'm looking for something in a soft subtle minty green. these RH spruce drapes are more on the blue side. The RH ones are my max price range. any ideas for other places i should look?

thank you all so much for your help in digesting the perspective i didn't want but desperately needed to see!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think you will come to fall in love with your linen drapes too. Linen will look wonderful next to the stone of the fireplace.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any linen drapes in the spruce color.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I love the new direction! I really love your original drapes, but my issue was that they are too short. I like hanging curtains closer to the ceiling, as you will do with the linen. I know what you are saying, re: mourning the loss. I have done that too but I know you will love the new look! It will look great and love the rope tieback!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Sorry, but I don't like the spruce in this room. I see what you're trying to do...........connect the ceiling color to another element, but the spruce linen looks very pastel,

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beverly, that is just the RH site doing a real time rendering of the curtains, not an actual photo of spruce curtains. i have the swatch in my hands and it looks nothing like that. also, the belgian textured is lined and doesn't let light through like the one in your image. this isn't the same fabric but the color is almost identical to this photo:

the soft minty color is actually an accent in the dining room and kitchen so i'm trying to bring it over.

i'm confident in the actual color, though i'm not sure whether i'll make them or buy them. to spend $400 for one window and then have to pay shipping even buying them in the store irks me. where else can i get 120" linen in a similar color?