Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachlilyfl

Matelasse bedspread

beachlily z9a
13 years ago

After purchasing a down blanket for our guestroom, I was thrilled with the impact of plain, pure white. Then I decided to purchase a white king-sized Matelasse bedspread at BB&B that shrunk 10" on each side when I washed it. Of course I returned it this morning.

I've searched locally for this product with no luck. On the web, the Company Store has then in stock (and on sale). I've never ordered from the Company Store before. Does anyone know of any other reputable retailer who sells matelasse? Does the Company Store have a good service record? We have a Tempur-pedic mattress that makes it impossible to use a dust-ruffle, so this bedspread is nearly my last hope. There are not a lot of choices out there for bedspreads.

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Matelasse bedspreads are my favorite. I also use an alternative down comforter in the winter and like you there is something so refreshing about a solid white cover. I even prefer white sheets.

As for the Company Store- that's where I purchase all my down comforters because they're oversized and fit my beds better. I don't like having to use a pillow sham because the comforter won't cover my pillows. In the past 15 years I've purchased 10 alternative comforters - that's for 2 homes and kids going off to college; 8 to 10 pillows, and probably 6 sets of sheets.

I've never had a problem with either the Company Store or their products. I have returned items when the color wasn't quite what I expected without any hassles.

And usually if you register online with them they'll have 20% off.

• peaches12345
    13 years ago

I also have a white Matelasse bedspread, not coverlet, because I wanted to cover my bed sleeping pillows and did not want a dust ruffle so I needed the width of a bedspread. (Keyword with a dust ruffle is "dust"!) I have a very high bed and the bedspread does not touch the floor on the sides, but is below the box springs so I do not need a dust ruffle. On top of the bedspread over the pillows I do use matching shams and decorative small pillows, so to me it is the best of both worlds.

My matelasse bedspread and shams are William and Mary Matelasse by Colonial Williamsburg and I purchased them online through Touch of Class. touchofclass.com The bedspread comes in all sizes and many colors.

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

Check L.L. Bean.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I bought my Matelasse from Linen Source because it was the widest one I could find.

Laurie

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i know RH also carries matelasse.

• dorry2
    13 years ago

Land's ENd makes a nice one. I have a king, pictured below, and a queen for my guest room. Unfortunately, the picture does not reflect the fine detailing. I use the matalasse covers in the summer through fall. Nice weight, washes beautifully. The picture above was taken just after having the room painted, so no pictures, etc., but you can get an idea. Also, the bed is made rather sloppily!! No one was visiting that day! hahaha

• kayec28
    13 years ago

Garnet Hill has good quality, and they carry matelasse coverlets.

Here is a link that might be useful: garnet hill

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

I've purchased several of this particular style and have never had a problem with shrinkage, and they've all been washed several times. I use them in place of a blanket during the summer months. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: matelasse

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I just bought the same one patty cakes talks about, a spread for my master and a coverlet for my guest room. They wash well and are heavy duty.

• User
    13 years ago

You will note that the Garnet Hill is made in Portugal. That is the key to a great and luxurious matelasse. I was lucky and got all of mine plus shams from Sierra Trading Post. They are all made in Portugal. The one from Penney's is part poly which is why it won't shrink.

I asked my drycleaner why matelasse shrinks and he said it is the agitation of the washer not the heat from the dryer that shrinks it. Something about the weave. So if you wash it make sure and use a very slow agitation. I hang to dry as I love the outdoor fresh fragrance. I did lose about 2" on one of the 3 spreads due to the agitation, hasn't happened since I took his advice . c

• peppygirl
    13 years ago

Both my daughter and I have Company Store's Matelasse coverlets (I didn't realize that we had ordered the same one!) and my decorator absolutely loved it. I've washed it and think it looks ever more beautiful. The quality is outstanding. I've ordered from the Company Store for years and never been disappointed. Peppygirl

• stbonner
    13 years ago

I have a Matelasse coverlet on my bed that is at least 10 years old and it still looks new. It has been washed many, many times (my husband has allergies) and shows no signs of wear. I got it from Lands End and it was made in Portugal. When it starts to look worn I will replace it with another from Lands End, but so far this thing shows no signs of needing replacement any time soon.

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your help! This is great!

My washer is one of those top loaders without an agitator. I washed the BB&B bedspread on the comforter setting, which is gentle and lots of water. Guess that didn't help!

I'm going to order the Portugal-made matelasse from the Company Store today. I'm a sucker for the cotton they use--so soft!

This will work just fine. I just purchased (at BB&B) two shams that are aqua and soft gold with shells on them and have coordinating striped teal/gold fabric I purchased a couple years ago for a different project. It's going to look so different! Now, if I can just tear myself out of the garden, pull out the sewing machine and just do it!

You all have been a great help!

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Beachlily, if you haven't ordered yet, you might want to check out good 'ol JC Penney. I've ordered several matelasse spreads and shams from them. The price is great, and they seem to be constantly on sale to boot. Quality is good. They offer both a 100% cotton and a blend version; I've used both and been satisfied.

Worth checking out, perhaps.

Ann

• francienolan
    13 years ago

I also bought two matelasse bedspreads (twins) from Penney's. Don't know if they're 100% cotton or a blend, but they're perfect after several washings. Very good quality, and they were only $40 each on sale. Penney's has great sales!

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

I've purchased from The Company Store for years, and they have excellent quality.

I recently purchased two Matelasse' coverlets for 2 of our guest rooms from JCP, and they are very nice for the price. I've washed them and they did not shrink.

Lands End and LLBean are also good retailers that I would trust.

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just ordered a white Matelasse from The Company Store. Looking forward to getting it. Price isn't much of an issue for me (we are so very lucky for that), but quality is my primary concern. All of you have helped me make this decision and I do appreciate it.

Penneys isn't much of an alternative here in the Daytona area. Our Penneys is pretty sad. I've looked there for 6 months to find a bedspread I could enjoy. Most of their spread are very traditional and my taste is contemporary. Never did see a Matelasse there.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

beachlily...just wanted to say I rarely buy anything in the JCP retail stores. Mostly online.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Beachlily, like yourself, i've been extremely blessed, but purchasing from jc penney isn't beneath me, and most of the time i've been satisfied with their quality. I've never seen the Matelasse coverlets in the store either, but like Joyce, order online.

If you're not happy with your purchase from The Company Store, do give the one from JC Penney's a try. ;o)

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I have a William and Mary matelasse spread/coverlet that I bought from Colonial Williamsburg marketplace at least 12 years ago. I absolutely love it and never want anything else. It looks as good today as it did then, no shrinkage (I wish it would because it's a little long). It has not lost its color (peach). It washes up and in the dryer with no problem.

You can still get them from williamsburgmarketplace.com. They still look the same, but they have switched manufacturers (still made in Portugal though). It is the most beautiful design and I don't know what's wrong with Williamsburg that their photo does not show this off. It has diamonds on the main field, and then beautiful images woven on the part that drops down -- very English renaissance feel, well, William and Mary! I found a different site that sells it as well and theirs shows the design somewhat better, but still not doing it justice. It comes in many colors from white to offwhite and on up.

Here is a link that might be useful: William and Mary coverlet/bedspread

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I have bought them at Home Goods with the shams and also BBath. The Bed,Bath has scalloped hem which I didn't like. I wanted straight edge.

Excuse this photo, we had just moved in and I was still fooling with wall art.

Jane

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bedspread from The Company Store was exactly the same price as the Penney's products and the BBB bedspread, too. I'm excited! When it comes, I'll take pictures. We should have a rainy day tomorrow and that will give me time to bake and sew.

Everyone has been so great about this. Many thanks!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living