Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Desperate for shingle suggestions....please help me!

pupwhipped
11 years ago

I'm desperate.....I'm begging. Could you take a look at my house and suggest what shingles I should get? I need shingle brand and specific color, please. Commonly used shingles in my area are Certainteed, GAF, and Tamko.

The first three pics are the front of the house, and the last pic is of the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought I had a shingle picked out only to find they can't get it. I'm so bummed.

Thanks for any advice.
pup

Comments (20)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

What are the characteristics of the ones you chose but can't get?

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Wasn't this the house you were imagining a red? roof on? Some time ago? Do I remember correctly? Did you give that up?

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I originally wanted a red roof, but then chickened out and settled on a more neutral one with hints of red....Aged Redwood is the color, and it is an architectural shingle by the brand IKO. See below:

http://www.iko.com/images/res/swatches/Cambridge%20-%20Aged%20Redwood.jpg

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Olychick, you caught me. HA! Yep, I posted many, many moons ago, but we never got around to getting our roof. Now, the time has come and I've GOT to make a decision. Why does this have to be so hard?!!!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Your home is lovely. Is it on a lake? I think you need shingles with texture and of course budget will dictate which shingle.

The 50 yr architectural shingles that my neighbor used are gorgeous. I think the color was "Weathered Wood". Nice neutral that would look good on your house.

When I first saw your title with the words desperate and shingles in the same phrase I thought you had Shingles--as in the disease! I thought, oh you poor thing, lol.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

red lover.....too funny. Thank goodness I've not GOT shingles.....I just need to GET some shingles!

Now with the name "red lover" you should come up with a red roof for me. I said earlier, " why does this have to be so hard?" I think it's hard cause I do want some red in the roof, but the right color red is extremely hard to find. Most of them are screaming in your face red...or even an orange red.

Thanks....I'll take another look at Weathered Wood....I think that is a Certainteed brand color.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I do love red and have entirely too much red in my house but I am not talented enough to choose a red roof for you. Heck, I'm barely talented enough to choose my own curtains!

But, whatever you pick I'm sure it will look good on that storybook home.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

are you still considering red? you may not be happy about it, but I found your old thread :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Red roof?

• User
    11 years ago

Love your home but cannot imagine red or reddish shingles on it, ever!

Unfortunately, shingle color is available by zipcode. You'd have to tell us your zipcode to find out which GAF shingle colors are available in your area.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

olychick, no, thanks for finding the original thread. It has been MANY moons! I just now scanned through some of the responses, and there were plenty of vetoes on the red roof. That's why I thought the IKO shingles were nearly perfect. It has a little bit of red in it, but it is really very neutral overall. Then when I think I'm set to go with it, I find out it is a special order and 200 squares need to be ordered on a truck or the freight charges are astronomical. We only need 70 squares. Call me pissed.

I won't b*tch on anymore. Maybe I should just get a dart and throw it at a shingle board. LOL!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I really like our roof shingles and they would look nice on your house...or you could go a shade lighter. They make the same colors in a less durable shingle than we used if you want.

GAF Camelot Aged Oak
    {{!gwi}}

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kswl, it's 71913. And you with yet another veto on the red roof. ha! This is gonna sound funny, but my house looks better in those pictures then it does in real life. I'm tellin ya, that roof needs some pizazz.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh, I really like those shingles. Maybe I do need to hype up the texture value and forget about anything red. Any kind of roof is going to look so much better because what is on there now are simple three tab shingles. There's no texture at all.

I can get GAF here easily where I live so I will check those out. Thank you very much for posting the pic.

pup

• geokid
    11 years ago

I immediately thought that adding texture would be the way to go. The ones annie posted are very nice.

• mdrive
    11 years ago

i second annie's suggestion and also veto red...cannot see a red roof at all with your beautiful, woodland home....

i agree to go with something more textured for the 'pizazz' you are looking for and stay with a forest friendly color

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I found the Certainteed Design Center to be a huge help when choosing my shingles. You can download a picture of your house and try the different shingles on it. I went with Colonial Slate but my house is quite different from yours. Wanna trade? Yours is gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Certainteed idea center

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

We recently reroofed our house with Certainteed Weathered Wood.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Love Annie's roof. I saw just that very one last week and I can't tell you how pretty it is and how much it adds to the look. Looks very expensive!

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I think you've already figured it out, but I don't think color its what you need as much a needing an interesting texture. I think something that looks like a cedar shake roof would look good.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Big shout out to you all.....THANK YOU! I've been out-of town the last few days and will head to the roofing store tomorrow.....right before my gynecologist appointment. Tomorrow is going to be a rough day. Ha! I don't know which of those is worse. Well, maybe I do.

Anyway, I will report back on what strikes my fancy tomorrow. I've gotten some feedback on another forum with suggestions of Certainteed Grand Manor shingles and GAF Timberline. Most perfer a weathered wood color. We'll see.

Thanks again for your kind responses.
    pup