Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budge1_gw

damask wallpaper stencil?

budge1
15 years ago

I wanted to wallpaper one small accent wall in our bedroom. Specifically, the wall behind the bed. We can't use a headboard in the space because the chimney juts out right there. The chimney is about 20 inches smaller than the width of the bed, so when I try to hang anything there it looks fairly lame. Soooo I think a nice damask wallpaper would look nice and camoflage the chimney.

I love the farrow and ball papers but $900 + is not in the budget. However, I am planning to paint the walls a f&B colour. I was thinking it was going to be pretty hard to match wallpaper to my paint colour, but then came across the idea of doing a repeating stencil to look like wallpaper.

I"ve found some stencils I like, but they seem to vary in price by quite a bit.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows about stencils, in terms of what materials I should look for - there seems to be different types and thicknesses. How important is a thick stencil? Is there anything else I should keep in mind? Has anyone else done this - does it look okay or should I just stick to real wallpaper?

Thanks!

Here is a pic of the room.

Comments (25)

• browngal
    15 years ago

The thickness of the stencil really depends on the type of paint you use. I personally have found that a medium stencil works the best, but if your careful you can use a thin stencil too.

Just for another idea I would also recommend framing out the wall around the chimney with cheep partial board and some fabric stretching across the area. Add some up-lighting behind the two sides and you'll create a great focal point in your bedroom.

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

budge1: I did a damask stencil in my DR, but only on one wall ( which I usually don't like), but it was very time consuming. I did a glazed strie first. I then used a darker color through the stencil. Next, I went back and moved the stencil about 1/8", using a lighter color to get the shadowed effect. The stencil was the Allover Fabric Damask Stencil from Stephanie Royal. http://www.royaldesignstudio.com/shop_stencils_detail.php?id=NzI= She has gorgeous stencils. Hope this helps.

• budge1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info browngal - I've never used any type of stencil before so that helps. As for framing it out, I've thought about that and a few other ideas, but when it comes down to it, I just don't have it in me for another building project - maybe when the kids are bigger.

Fauxchick - that looks stunning! Wow, if mine ends up looking half that good, I'll be thrilled. And thanks for the explanation and link I will have a look.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Fauxchick, that looks fabulous! Your technique is just beautiful. I have long drooled over Royal's stencils and wondered how they are. How was the quality? What did you have to do to make sure you got it all on straight and evenly placed?

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

Fauxchick, that is lovely. I have never stenciled, but wwould love to try it. It must have taken you a long time?

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

gawd Fauxchick - that is amazing. I thought about doing that in my downstairs powder room, but i'm afraid it will take too long...maybe later. I definitely want to do one of the ceiling motifs in one or both of my bedrooms - thanks for that site, i'd had little luck finding stencils I liked until I saw it!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Wow - I'll have to check out that link. Are the stencils 4x8? Smaller would have really taken forever, not to mention getting the position just right. I'd ask if you were for hire, but I don't think I could afford you!

budge1 - what about draping the headboard area? If you put a little bit longer post to the side of the chimney, you could disguise the corner. I saw something in a magazine that used curtain rods, I think they were hung from the ceiling, with curtains on rings, that might work. I'll try to dig it out for you (and scan it?). How deep is that "jog"?

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

Thanks everybody!! I do love the wall, and I keep thinking that I will do the rest of the room...Nah!!
    budge1- You don't have to do all the strie and 2 color effect. Using one color through the stencil can be stunning as well. A tone close to the wall color will help camaflauge any boo-boos! You can do it!
    oceanna - R.D. stencils are top of the line. As for placement, I started in the center of the wall and worked left and right using the registration marks to keep
    everything in line.
    livvyandbella -It seemed like it took forever, but I knew that it would be worth it. I did have to psyche myself up every time I went back to the wall to work!
    kpaquette - I have seen some stunning ceilings using stencils. Make a standing appointment with your massage therapist before you start!!
    ajsmama- I had the production size (26" x 46") as well as the smaller one (15" x 18") for corners, etc.
    FYI - Check out www.modellodesigns.com/ - 22k. Modello is Stephanie's line of self-stick (one time use) stencils. I the monograms on mirrors and they are great for using on hardwood floors and concrete for rug designs. Check out their library - Great stuff.

• bepeace
    15 years ago

If you haven't painted yet, you might want to check out eBay and look for Osborne & Little and Cole & Son wallpapers. They are similar in style and quality to Farrow & Ball and you may be able to find a couple of rolls for around $100 or less.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I just googled bed curtain and found this link - simlar to the magazine except the one I saw used wood rods.

http://interiordec.about.com/cs/canopybeds/l/aacanopybedsg.htm

You can also use rings, though I think to hide that corner you would use a *really* long panel and swag it through 2 rings in the ceiling at the head of the bed - make sure it's wide enough and ring is placed so as to hide the corner.

http://interiordec.about.com/cs/canopybeds/l/aacanopybedsd.htm

HTH

• jen9
    15 years ago

I had a large fleur de lis pattern stenciled in my powder room .... but after seeing fauxchick's stencil job, Iam embarassed to post my pics! (and I paid a professional to do it!!!!). Fabulous job, Fauxchick.

• budge1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ajasmama for finding that link. I had actually bought material to make a drape there, but just never got around to it. Now I'm going in another colour direction and am thinking the wallpaper or stencilling will be easier - but might be wrong about that.

Thanks for the hint on the wallpapers bepeace - I'll check it out.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Does anyone know a fast way to take the texture (orange peel) off walls without damaging the wall board?

• tgd2008
    15 years ago

It's already been said, but what a beautiful job fauxchick. I have long admired those stenciling effects. Thanks for posting some results for us to see. Just gorgeous work.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I'm going to be redundant, fauxchick:

Me Too!

What an absolute inspiration ....

oceanna -- our whole house (and it's a biggee) was covered with severe orange peel. We had drywall guys come and smoothcoat (two - three layers) much of the house and now it looks (and feels) like plaster. I LOVE it and would do it again, no questions asked. (We think it was inexpensive -- they did about 3,000 square feet for around $3000. Of course location changes price, but I'm in "metropolitan" Colorado, for what it's worth.)

So, my next project (other than some hardcore gardening, but that's a different forum!) is to smoothcoat our powder room. My husband found (at Home Depot, I believe) a compound made just for topcoat (I think called Topping Coat), which means I won't have to purchase murco (powdered drywall compound) and mix it with water. Yea for me! Now, I haven't started yet, but after watching those guys (two of them, brothers) do the house I don't think it'll be that difficult (famous last words!) -- it'll take time, but I don't think it'll be difficult. (fingers crossed, please)

Our drywall guys (and I'll do this as well) used an enormous sponge to smooth the compound they'd applied -- no sanding. I can absolutely verify it is smooth and lovely.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

RmKitchen, I've sanded walls apleanty. I've also done the topcoat and then sanded it to smooth it. Both were horrible, messy jobs. I hated both. I can't hire someone for this.

Good luck on your project. I think you'll enjoy the skim coating. It's the fine baby powder dust going all over everything you own that you might not enjoy. If you can block off the room before sanding (and wear mask, and shower cap, and gloves, and long sleeves) it will help. When I last did it, it was in an open area, as is a lot that I'd still like to do. I think I'll be spitting that dust out of my coffin!

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

jen9- Thank you. I bet your powder room is lovely.

tgd2008 & rmkitchen - You're both too kind! I love stencils. I just wish it wasn't such a slow process!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

oceanna -- I'm sorry you misunderstood what I wrote.

The drywall compound topcoat ("poor man's plaster") requires NO sanding. The 3,000 square feet we had done did NOT result in any dust because there was NO sanding. The project I'm planning on doing will require NO sanding, and I shaN'T do any sanding. As I wrote, going over the topcoat with a large damp sponge was all the men needed to get the walls smooth, and that's what I'll do as well.

Not sure how you misunderstood what I wrote, but it's the NO sanding which makes the process so terrific!

Good luck in your search.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

If you decide you don't have the patience for that type of work, there are some large rubber stamps (like 5" x 8") sold at Lowes, HD or paint stores that are very attractive and can be used in a similar way.

Just use a clear or tinted glaze instead of a different paint color, and stamp away! A very subtle and attractive treatment.

• sundownr
    15 years ago

Beautiful job, fauxchic. Jan Dressler also makes damask stencils. I've used her stencils and they are nice. http://www.dresslerstencils.com/category/s

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

Thanks, sundownr. I have never used Jan Dressler stencils, but I used to see her demonstrating a lot on various HGTV shows. It has been a while since I visited her website. She does have some gorgeous ones.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Sorry, Mkitchen. I'm deffinitely going to look for that stuff! That would be much better than what I used before! I hope you'll post about it after you've done it.

• malaec
    15 years ago

Hi ladies, I am a professional decorative artist, and may be I can help with damask stenciling. We do a lot of this finish for our customers, and really it is not that difficult, in fact for us the damasks are big moneymakers. The trick is to keep your contrast low, (so your mistakes don't show) and to keep your stenciling level. Use bubble level or laser level to keep it vertical. We always use foam rollers with rounded ends to roll the pattern, this way it's super fast. You can use brushes too if you have patience and lots of time! :) Damasks look best over a subtle mottled background, like sponging or colorwash. You still can do it over straight paint, but it may look less sophisticated. You should make a sample on a board before starting! Make sure you like your colors and your technique before hitting the wall. Thicker stencil will last longer. however broken stencil is easy to fix with pieces of clear packaging tape. You'll have to clean the stencil few times during the project because it does get pretty clogged with paint. Sometimes it is helpful to have 2 stencils so you don't have to clean them during the project. The easiest way to clean a stencil - place the stencil on a back of a baking tray( or other flat tray) in your sink and scrub it with a dishwashing brush under running water. this way it doesn't get entangled and bridges don't break. Make sure you have a mesh strainer in your drain to catch all those dried paint particles!
    Here are some nice quality damasks, priced very reasonably, check it out at http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com
    For inspiration and to see finished rooms please look at our decorative company portfolio at http://www.specfindesigns.com
    Hope this helps, Sincerely, Janna

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting Edge Stencils

• budge1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks for that great description. really appreciate it. It's the small details that can really screw you up in these projects so it's nice to know some of the little secrets.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

another vote for royal design studio stencils. I used them for a lot of my projects and they have many styles to choose from! If you get the professional/production size (larger size) it helps making the process go faster. I also used several brushes so that I can use several shades simultaneously and blend them together as I go along to give the designs more depth.

Another great place for stencil is dressler stencils.

Practice first. Once you get the hang it isn't very difficult. If I can do it, you can do it better, really. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: link