Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

My First Before and After pics of a very SMALL weekend project

polly929
14 years ago

DH and I bought this home 3 years ago and it was a total fixer upper. I have never posted any pics on here, only because every project is STILL ongoing. It is all DIY, and with 3 kids and 2 full time jobs, finding time to get stuff done is really difficult.

Anyway, we had a built in book shelf right next to our back door. It ended up being a total mess of pictures and knick knacks, that were never in their place. And my kids were always putting toys and other things on it. There is a walk in closet only steps away from it and yet my DH and kids never ever hang their coats in it. The coats always ended up on the back of the dining room chairs. So I had the idea to turn the space into a "mini mud-room" after seeing another GWer turn a closet into one. I'm sorry I don't remember who- would love to thank them! Now the coats don't end up in the DR any more! I'm really happy with how this turned out.

Before:

After: (painted BM White Satin)

Comments (34)

• judydel
    14 years ago

Now THAT'S a MUCH better use of that space right by the door. Nice vision. And great job!

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Very nice! It looks great.

• JennaVaNowSC
    14 years ago

What a great change! Love it!!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Wow! What a wonderful transformation! It looks terrific!

• momto4boys
    14 years ago

perfect!!!!!

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Looks great! You could probably add some additional baskets on top. Looks like you are in snow country, so you could use them to hold mittens, scarfs, hats, etc.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

much better use of space . GOOD JOB!

• polly929
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Yes Val, I intend on adding baskets on top. Just haven't had the chance to buy more. The baskets on the bottom are FILLED with gloves, hats, and scarves. And those are rain boots you see- not only was it a ridiculously snowy winter, but we got more rain this past weekend (in NJ) than we normally do in an entire month! The mud is unreal.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

It may be a small change, taking out shelves and adding hooks, but the impact is HUGE!

I love your after.

• kden71
    14 years ago

That looks great. It's a better use of the space.

• les917
    14 years ago

Great decision to use the space that way! Congrats!

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Great job. I love repurposing pace to better fit lifestyle. Your mini mud room is fresh and modern.

• ctlane
    14 years ago

Looks great, and now will be put to good use.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Looks like function won out over form. Good job!

• leafy02
    14 years ago

Great idea, and it looks super!

• dlfrun66
    14 years ago

wonderful use of space. Good job

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Wow you are a total smart cookie! What a genious idea! Great job.

Haley

• heathermisme
    14 years ago

Very clever. Great job!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

You did a great job and it is not only nice looking but very practical. Thanks for sharing.

• cshagw2009
    14 years ago

Great Job! Really nice looking. Unfortunately I can't have something like that in my house.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

What a neat idea! Good job!

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Form AND function - it doesn't get any better than that! ;-)

• loribee
    14 years ago

How pretty!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Wow! You did a great job, absolutely love it!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Excellent! A nice way to re-purpose the space.

• dazzlemewithcolor
    14 years ago

Awesome job! Love the color too.

• Rutendo Rukunda
    14 years ago

Way to go! I have yet to do that to our closet.

Rutty

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Fantastic!

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

That's really nice - looks like it was always there. :)

Jo

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

That's really nice - looks like it was always there. :)

Jo

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I want one.

• polly929
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Wish I could remember the other GWer who did something similar in a closet. That was where I got the idea from.

The whole thing cost $35. The hooks were $5 each, and we already had the baskets and the paint. DH did the whole thing in one weekend. I am NOT handy like that. I just have the ideas, and he carries them out for me. In our last house we had plaster walls, and every time I hung a picture we ended up with a huge hole in the wall. He has banned me from all power tools- LOL

Can't wait to show you all before and after pics of my whole first floor!

• always1stepbehind
    14 years ago

What a great idea.. You could even do that with a bookshelf that is not built it, but it would have to be anchored to the wall.

Now you got my wheels turning-I need a place for the kids to hang their backpacks and jackets...

• hamsundm
    14 years ago

Looks just great!
    We did a similar thing (not sure if I'm the one you got the idea from) but our situation was an actual closet. My kids frequently throw their jackets and backpacks on the bottom shelf instead of using the hooks, but it's an improvement from the chair, floor, scattered areas that they had been using!

Looks like yours is in a perfect spot, too. Nice job!